Insomniacs thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Insomniacs thread

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:43 pm

I also did not sleep well last night. My theory is the lack of sunlight messes with my circadian cycle. As a farmer I am awake before sunrise and am ready for bed a few hours after sunset. I should be getting more sleep in winter but when the sun hides all day my reptilian brain gets confused.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I know you'll jump all over me for saying this, but laying off caffeine might be hard for the first couple days, but it'll probably really help in the long run. If a person can quit smoking, they can cut caffeine. It can be temporary, like a month. Then if it doesn't help or you miss it too much, go ahead and start up again. Can't hurt, might help. It's like Sober January, only Coffee-less February. Or something'.

A good friend of mine tried this, with much balking, and to her surprise it worked. She was furious. I think after a few weeks she went back to coffee and complaining.

At least she knew what was causing a major part of the problem so she didn't worry about it as much.

People think caffeine wears off in a couple hours, but in actuality people's speed of metabolizing caffeine varies a lot and is apparently genetically determined. You don't have to believe me -- look it up for yourself.

I hate giving people advice, so now I feel like apologizing all over the place. Still, here it is.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Ya, you are correct! I should but lay off the caffeine and the alcohol -my two vices. Moderation is the way I go. Sometimes I do cut myself off but then I am a bitch.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Caffeine in the morning seems to be okay for me. Any dosage at all after 12:01 PM and I don't sleep till bartime.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 am

I too never drink coffee after noon. And decaf is a sin.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:08 am

snoqueen wrote:I know you'll jump all over me for saying this . . .

Oh, I'm taking this straight to Fight Club!

Seriously, though -- it's great advice; unfortunately, I've already tried it to no avail.
As I've noted before, having had so many sleep issues over the years, I've kept journals on and off to track my habits. I've gone many months at a stretch without any caffeine at all with no apparent effect on my ability to sleep at night but a lot of effect on my ability to get moving/get things done in the morning. I'm also aware the morning coffee is only partially about a drug delivery system and the rest is just enjoyed ritual; if I have a cup or two and still want more of that, I can satisfy it by swapping in tea or hot chocolate (which yeah, I know has a little caffeine too, but compared to coffee, might as well not.)

I should also note I too am in the "no caffeine at all after noon" camp and have been for years. While my journals never revealed any pattern involving caffeine, it just seems like common sense given what you noted about how long caffeine can stick around before being metabolized. It also was a simple way to stop drinking so much damn soda, which is now only an occasional treat. (And almost always without caffeine anyway, just because root beer and orange are my go-to flavors.)

Edited to add:
Happy to report, btw - in bed a bit after 11 last night, asleep by 11:30, slept straight through til 7:30 this morning.

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Edited to add:
Happy to report, btw - in bed a bit after 11 last night, asleep by 11:30, slept straight through til 7:30 this morning.

Great news, and congratulations.

Taking a quick scan through the thread, I think smoking and caffeine have been hit pretty well, but not exercise. I've had insomnia issues most of my life. Quitting smoking helped, getting regular exercise helped a lot more. Have you tried hitting your insomnia from that angle?
I found that no matter if it was cardio/strength, early mornings/late evenings, it really didn't matter. As long as I was getting regular exercise, I my sleep improved considerably.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:45 am

Yep. I've got blood pressure issues too (which almost assuredly contribute to the insomnia) so getting some regular cardio in was doctor's orders anyway.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Now I lay me down to sleep

Postby penquin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 am

A clean conscience and regular luvin' makes it so I'm asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

Of course, very little caffeine in my diet and walking 10-12 miles every shift at work also helps out a little bit too.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:20 pm

BobbyB wrote: I've had insomnia issues most of my life. Quitting smoking helped, getting regular exercise helped a lot more.

I was quite annoyed that quitting smoking after 34 years did nothing at all to my sleep pattern. Exercise in the form of walking four or five miles a day did indeed help me sleep better.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

gargantua wrote:Have you purchased any yet, Shorbeav? Did they wurk fer yu?

No but it's tempting.

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Yep. I've got blood pressure issues too (which almost assuredly contribute to the insomnia) so getting some regular cardio in was doctor's orders anyway.

Just a thought (and I'm not a medical doctor) ---- high blood pressure and insomnia are two symptoms of hyperparathyroidism. Basically, your parathyroid is pumping out too much hormone which is digging calcium out of your bones and dumping it into your blood system. The easy thing to do is have a look at your last comprehensive metabolic panel and zero in on your serum calcium level. If it's above 10 mg/dL talk to your doc. Sometimes physicians tend to overlook this part of the test. Look what happened to Garry Shandling.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am

The 'Humming Bee' Sleeping Technique That Helps You Fall Asleep
https://holistichealthlabs.com/sleepult ... ep&pl=6apr

"First, start by sitting comfortably on your bed, a mat or a towel. You should sit in the cross-legged position with your spine straight and your shoulders relaxed.

Place your thumbs gently over your ears, while covering your eyes and face with your fingers like this. Take a deep breath in through y our nose.

Now, keeping your lips softly closed, exhale with a “hmmm” sound. “Hmmmmmmmmmmm……..” Allow the whole breath to gently leave you from your belly until there is no air left in your lungs. You should feel a slight buzzing feeling in your lips as you exhale.

Because your ears are covered by your thumbs, your hearing is focused solely on your humming.

Repeat this humming technique until you are very tired and feel that you are ready to sleep. The “hmmm…” sound is a low frequency sound that helps to slow down your brain waves too.

This helps you to tune out the other stresses and annoyances of life, and become fully present in the moment. Now that you know this Humming Bee Sleeping Technique, you can try this technique out before you sleep tonight. The whole idea is to STOP your “waking up hormones”."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:46 pm

more fake news -- i'm sure that a puff or eight on the brake fluid rag and a protracted session of the five knuckle shuffle have more to do with it -- lord knows zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 pm

gozer wrote:more fake news -- i'm sure that a puff or eight on the brake fluid rag and a protracted session of the five knuckle shuffle have more to do with it -- lord knows zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, I'm sure that many would benefit from your advice. My partner would prefer to assist me on that herself, most of the time. Plus I'm usually pretty good at sleeping. Not the worst thing to have a talent for.

Return to “Catch All”