Insomniacs thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Insomniacs thread

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 am

I'm getting my girlfriend a sleep bracelet for Xmas, but this style is much more affordable.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Hats off to Limpie. How’s the quitting coming?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm

Beaver wrote:How about a sleep bracelet? Probably won't help . . .

Gee, ya think?
I mean, it's "embedded with Natural Frequency Technology®", how could it not perform as promised?
What is Natural Frequency Technology® you ask? Why, it's the thing that "harnesses and channels frequencies". You know, for better sleep. Because sleep is all about frequencies. As long as they're natural frequencies, that is. I guess non-insomniacs can better harness frequencies naturally, so they don't need any help channeling them. Presumably they experience "enhanced quality sleep" without needing help from jewelry. Those people just naturally get natural sleep -- natural sleep, naturally, being the only kind of sleep which allows you to awake the next day feeling refreshed -- whereas some of us can only achieve natural sleep by investing $350 and choosing between classic or slim styles of wrist-wear.

Shit like this is why I'm losing faith in mankind. How is it possible anybody could fall for this crap? And if you are dumb enough to believe ads promising "harnessed frequencies" will solve {insert problem here} and you're actually uncritical enough to believe "natural" is an adjective which promises only good things, in what sense can a bracelet possibly be considered natural?! Are they grown on bracelet bushes? Harvested from giant ocean-floating bracelet mats? Do bracelets occasionally rain from the sky during bracelet storms? Can you scrape a little bracelet off a bracelet you already own and grow a new bracelet? Do you just leave a couple bracelets together in a hotel room and wait for the magic to happen?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Do you just leave a couple bracelets together in a hotel room and wait for the magic to happen?

With Aretha Franklin on the stereo, singing "You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Bracelet)."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am

for people and critters who tend to sleep all day and stay up at night. 10.00 can be a truly ungodly hour . . . of couse, if one has been up for multiple days, their chances of a visit from various interesting folks like the 900-lb jesus start to increase . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am

since they deal with the same neurotransmitter ratio, insomnia associated with the nicotine abstinence syndrome in some cases is helped by diphenhydramine and other ethanolamine first-generation antihistamines like doxylamine, phenytolxamine, and the like . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Everybody's different. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another and what triggers one person won't necessarily trigger another. It's one of the reasons my attitude this go-round (as this is not my first time on the Quittin' Train) is to just take it one day at a time. Looking ahead and worrying about what will trigger me in the days ahead seems like a losing strategy to me, so in that sense I agree with Roy. That said, one of the things that motivated me to quit last week (I'd been thinking about it seriously for a couple months already) was I had a cold and figured it was a good time to hole myself up at home for the physical withdrawal portion. I'm certainly past that now, though. Can't keep avoiding the world indefinitely. Probably good that my first alcohol encounter will be in a cigarette-free environment though. That way, when I drink somewhere where there are cigarettes, I can hopefully remind myself that I drank without'em and nothing bad happened.

Something else I'm doing that has been at least a little helpful: I'm keeping a list of reasons why quitting smoking is a good thing and then read through it when having a particularly bad craving. The obvious stuff is on there (health, save money, etc.) but if anyone wants to suggest things to add I may not have yet considered, I figure the longer the list the better. (My favorite entry so far: "Tell the doctor to shut up.")

how about the fact that the smoke has carbon monoxide in it?
clothes won't smell like it
go down the list of your 15 least favourite politicians and see how many take tobacco interest money

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Gee, ya think?
I mean, it's "embedded with Natural Frequency Technology®", how could it not perform as promised?
What is Natural Frequency Technology® you ask? Why, it's the thing that "harnesses and channels frequencies". You know, for better sleep. Because sleep is all about frequencies. As long as they're natural frequencies, that is. I guess non-insomniacs can better harness frequencies naturally, so they don't need any help channeling them. Presumably they experience "enhanced quality sleep" without needing help from jewelry. Those people just naturally get natural sleep -- natural sleep, naturally, being the only kind of sleep which allows you to awake the next day feeling refreshed -- whereas some of us can only achieve natural sleep by investing $350 and choosing between classic or slim styles of wrist-wear.

Shit like this is why I'm losing faith in mankind. How is it possible anybody could fall for this crap? And if you are dumb enough to believe ads promising "harnessed frequencies" will solve {insert problem here} and you're actually uncritical enough to believe "natural" is an adjective which promises only good things, in what sense can a bracelet possibly be considered natural?! Are they grown on bracelet bushes? Harvested from giant ocean-floating bracelet mats? Do bracelets occasionally rain from the sky during bracelet storms? Can you scrape a little bracelet off a bracelet you already own and grow a new bracelet? Do you just leave a couple bracelets together in a hotel room and wait for the magic to happen?

if one starts jazzing their bodies with subsonic frequencies, it is all fun & games until one day an arm starts going like the tacoma narrows bridge and snaps clean off . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Gee, ya think?

Yes, too much electronics is causing insomnia.

Your smartphone may be hurting your sleep
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/health/sm ... index.html

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

Beaver wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Gee, ya think?

Yes, too much electronics is causing insomnia.

How is the sentence you just typed in any way a response to what you quoted?

I don't own a smartphone, so that cannot be my problem. Similar claims have been made about computer screens which I took to heart when I read them initially, but after some experimentation (I've kept sleep logs on and off for years to try to pinpoint any specific issues) I've found it to have no effect on my ability to fall asleep.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:07 pm

did anyone see the aurora borealis earlier this week (mainly 7. november) late at night? it never even occurred to me to look, given a whole week with no sunspots at all . . .

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

What Fitbit's 6 billion nights of sleep data reveals about us
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv ... 58417.html

"The reporting that Fitbit’s sleep scientists offer in this exploration is only the very, very beginning. The company has amassed big data — big sleep data — that could provide some incredible answers. We just have to ask the right questions.

Why do men and women sleep differently? Why do we get less deep sleep as we age? Beyond the “party on the weekend” effect, why do our bedtimes vary so much? We know that exercise is good for our sleep, but when should we exercise for the best sleep? When should we eat if we want to get the most deepest sleep? Is the kind of sleep (REM sleep, deep sleep) more important than the total time asleep? Should the nation’s school hours and work hours be adjusted to fit the way we actually sleep?

Fortunately, Fitbit plans to share its data, both with other scientific institutions and in science journals; it’s thrilling to think of the new knowledge that may result from it. Until then, consider trying to get to bed at a more consistent hour throughout the week. You’ll sleep better, you’ll sleep longer, and you’ll feel better once you’re up. Or just move to Las Vegas."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm

NASA lightbulbs come down to Earth and into your house
Lighting Science makes its space station lightbulbs available to everyday folks who need help falling asleep and waking up.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-lightbul ... our-house/

"The company says the LED bulbs can help regulate sleep patterns. The Good Night bulb is geared for getting in the mood to sleep, while the Awake & Alert bulb is blue-enriched to pump you up. Each bulb costs $70 and is rated to last up to 20 years. Looking at the bulbs glowing away in regular house lamps, I can really see the difference in the quality of light from each one.

For people who want to get a little more involved with the space-inspired lighting solutions, Lighting Science is introducing the Rhythm Downlight at CES, a Bluetooth-controlled light that can adjust to a user by monitoring that person via an app. It will adjust the amount of blue light based on an individual's sleep and wake cycle, emitting more or less blue light when necessary."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Have you purchased any yet, Shorbeav? Did they wurk fer yu?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Reason #87989 Why Insomnia Sucks:

Had my first bad bout in a long while last night. Tried to go to sleep around 2:30, at 3:30 I got up and took a sleeping pill. Woke up at 10:15 feeling pretty draggy still only to discover I had no running water, which means no coffee, which means grrrrrrrrrr-umpy Wagstaff!
Sure enough, when I checked my door there's a little note from the city about emergency water main repairs and they expect my water will be off for many hours, so I should fill some water containers before that happens. . . at 10am. D'oh!

Edited to add: just realized, thanks to my sleep issues -- specifically my need for a CPAP -- I always have a gallon jug of distilled water on hand. Sweet morning coffee, here I come!

Return to “Catch All”