Insomniacs thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Insomniacs thread

Postby PaleoLiberal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Madsci wrote:
gargantua wrote:So, does this mean that atheists can post here no matter what time it is?

I would think so. To some of use early risers the predawn morning is our quiet time.
If I did believe in a god - it would be my godly hour.
I love to welcome the sun as it raises...

Many religions consider the predawn and dawn to be a holy time. I've been to sunrise Native American services I know many Christians love to have sunrise services.

Maybe ungodly was the wrong phrase

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 am

To me an more ungodly hour would be bar time with all the god damn drunks.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Madsci wrote:To me an more ungodly hour would be bar time with all the god damn drunks.

Yeah, I often think the 2 AM bar time is absurd. People don't really start to party until midnight anyway. By 2 am they are just getting started. I like that NYC has 4 AM and Chicago 5 AM. That way the drunks have more time to disperse slowly.

I guess I am not the only one who has seen big fights erupt right after bar time.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Clearly, I am old, and lame. I'm rarely out of the house that late. We usually have a couple beers along with a fairly early dinner. Then we drink at home. At least we don't have any trouble, other than for the occasional hangover.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 pm

It's been almost a decade since I was out in a downtown bar at bar time.

Sometimes I miss those days, other times I really, really don't miss them at all.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:It's been almost a decade since I was out in a downtown bar at bar time.

Sometimes I miss those days, other times I really, really don't miss them at all.

The few times I've been out late downtown, I've marvelled at how lively it is down there. This is more like midnight though, before the craziness really begins.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 pm

There is something very wrong here, with people posting at all times of the day and night. If this is truly an insomniac's thread, there have to be some rules. Like no posts before midnight or after 8 am. Unless you work the graveyard shift.

Wait, did I just break my own rule? Maybe I get special dispensation after a Common Council meeting; even the ones that only last a few hours seem like they have gone for days.

Also, Prof. Wags, go for it. I took a great smoking cessation class and I will be tobacco free for 5 years this fall. One of the best things I ever did for my health.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 pm

The rules are ungodly hours.
Some say there are 24 of them in the average day.

11:40 is annoying when I want to get up early tomorrow

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 am

MPMay wrote: Also, Prof. Wags, go for it.

Thanks! Tomorrow night will be a full week. I will be drinking tomorrow (for a regularly scheduled Movie Night, not as a celebration) but since I'll be at home where there are no cigarettes and I do not drive drunk, that particular trigger cannot possibly bring my downfall. Not sure when I'll actually be out and about around cigarettes next and that's obviously the real test.
One day at a time.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:39 am

My grad school research adviser told everyone he knew that he was quitting smoking. He says that put the pressure on him to go through with it.

Best of luck!

Maybe the best way to do it would be to avoid situations where you are around cigs until it has been at least 3 or 4 weeks. I think the first 3 or 4 weeks are the roughest, so they say. I used to occasionally smoke, but I never got a smoking habit, thank goodness.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am

PaleoLiberal wrote:Maybe the best way to do it would be to avoid situations where you are around cigs until it has been at least 3 or 4 weeks.

That does not work, and in fact, any type of avoidance creates trigger points.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 am

Interesting

I'm not arguing with you, but do you have an article that explains why?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 am

Everybody's different. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another and what triggers one person won't necessarily trigger another. It's one of the reasons my attitude this go-round (as this is not my first time on the Quittin' Train) is to just take it one day at a time. Looking ahead and worrying about what will trigger me in the days ahead seems like a losing strategy to me, so in that sense I agree with Roy. That said, one of the things that motivated me to quit last week (I'd been thinking about it seriously for a couple months already) was I had a cold and figured it was a good time to hole myself up at home for the physical withdrawal portion. I'm certainly past that now, though. Can't keep avoiding the world indefinitely. Probably good that my first alcohol encounter will be in a cigarette-free environment though. That way, when I drink somewhere where there are cigarettes, I can hopefully remind myself that I drank without'em and nothing bad happened.

Something else I'm doing that has been at least a little helpful: I'm keeping a list of reasons why quitting smoking is a good thing and then read through it when having a particularly bad craving. The obvious stuff is on there (health, save money, etc.) but if anyone wants to suggest things to add I may not have yet considered, I figure the longer the list the better. (My favorite entry so far: "Tell the doctor to shut up.")

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am

An advantage of not smoking - you will not smell like an ash tray.

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 am

One advantage I found when i quit: I've had insomnia issues most of my life. Quitting smoking wasn't a magic bullet, but it definitely helped.

Return to “Catch All”