Phone scam

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Phone scam

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

I had a message on my phone from the IRS scammers. They gave me a number to call. I decided to just delete it, but it would have been fun to jack them around a bit.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I had a woman leave a voicemail doing the IRS scam. If I didn't call back, well, she wished me luck.
We know these scams for what they are. Hate to think how sophisticated they'll be in a couple of decades when I'm in my 80's and maybe in some stage of dementia. I remember how frail my parents became at that age, and uncertain. So I never make fun of someone who falls for this stuff. It's the moral equivalent of stealing from children.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:23 am

i have spoken with the i r s scammers twice . . . the first time i told them that i gave at the office -- when they asked me what i meant i said that i was making these calls too and had already reeled in about $500 earlier that day. "no, i'm with the organisation, u don't have to scam me -- i work from home . . . we actually have prizes in my local unit for most money acquired, and second place is a blowjob from my boss which i got two weeks in a row . . ." they ended up very tongue-tied. the second time i told them i was the cops and we would be coming to get them . . . *click* that call was over quickly!

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:42 pm

There is an app for cell phones that will screen out most nuisance calls.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Shorty wrote:I'm puzzled why it's such a problem in recent years.

Which part of "this scam is centuries old" is confusing you into thinking it's a recent problem?

As I said, it may be centuries old but I never heard of it as a problem until recent years. Sort of like skin cancer, or mass shootings. Just didn't happen much until now. So I am wondering, why the big increase now for the phone scams?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

Shorty wrote:Just didn't happen much until now.

If your assumption above is true, it's likely as simple as an increase in population coupled with more readily available lists of potential people to scam (and their phone numbers) available to scammers. But I don't think your underlying assumption is true. My assumption would be this scam has been occurring non-stop since its very first successful implementation centuries ago because con artists tend to do what works. Just because you are unaware of something doesn't mean it's not happening.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 pm

The internet makes calls from faraway places a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:28 pm

UW-Madison student scammed out of $15K by fraud call
https://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/ ... /788831321

"The callers spoofed the department’s non-emergency number and kept the 24-year-old student on the phone more than five hours as she bought gift cards and gave them their numbers, police said. The callers convinced the woman that her Social Security number had been compromised and was now associated with criminal activity, according to the release.

The woman was told to comply with instructions or a federal investigation could be opened that might lead to her assets being frozen and her being deported, officials said. "

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:22 pm

i think both the i r s and the telephone company take spools of copper and silver wire and copper pipe for payment, no questions asked
https://www.theonion.com/biden-scores-8 ... 1819574421

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:28 am

Madison woman scammed out of $8,800
https://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/ ... /824247054

"The victim got a call Oct. 11 from "FBI deputy inspector Eddie Morra," a Madison Police Department incident report said. Morra told the woman there was a warrant out for her arrest because her name and social security number were used to open bank accounts used for money laundering. The man told her that a vehicle was rented in her name and it was connected to an apartment where 22 pounds of cocaine was found...The officer attempted to call the number used by the scammer and it was disconnected. The victim said "Morra" spoke with an accent that sounded Arabic."

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:41 am

Not a phone scam, or local, but interesting news item.

Homeless Man and New Jersey Couple Charged in GoFundMe Scam: 'It Was Predicated on a Lie'
https://people.com/human-interest/homel ... uple-scam/

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am

Shorty and Beaver posting in the same thread. Is that a first?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Shorty and Beaver posting in the same thread. Is that a first?

Someone really should show you how to use the search function...then you wouldn't have to ask these type of questions.

chances of Beaver being Shorty are 23.69%

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:01 am

Fuck off, troll.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Fuck off, troll.

Physician, heal thyself.