obnoxious advertising

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: obnoxious advertising

Postby bdog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:41 am

gozer wrote:
Broadsheet wrote:I'm starting to obsess about "Jan" of the red top in the Toyota ads and her lisp -- "Toyota -- Letth go platheth!"

there is that one with the corporate type who asks her for the "elevator pitch" then patronisingly tells her she should be a spokesperson -- the simmering class war dynamic and sarcasm makes it the worst by far. jan should have thrown some coffee on the yuppie in such a hurry instead of sinking to her level -- that would make for a much better advertisement.

+1. "I sell cars to assholes and oh aren't I so cute!"

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 am

Another one that bugs me are the US Cellular ads with the guy who vaguely looks like a younger version of Samuel L. Jackson (which I assume is intentional) yelling "Way, way, way out here."

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:13 pm

American Mattress (is that right?), which always seems to have a warehouse sale going on. They yell at you, repeat the phone number, and mispronounce "Stoughton Rd." I cannot reach for the remote fast enough. I would sleep on the floor before buying anything from those folks.

Do TV stations ever think about the fact that some of these obnoxious ads actually make people change channels, maybe never to return?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Another one that bugs me are the US Cellular ads with the guy who vaguely looks like a younger version of Samuel L. Jackson (which I assume is intentional) yelling "Way, way, way out here."

Um, I think that is Samuel L. Jackson.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:59 am

Heard this morning on an RV sales ad. "Prices so low that we can't advertise them."

Why the hell not?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:36 pm

directv seems to be back on track now after a slew of them which were more annoying than anything else (the horse ones). which is hard. i really don't get annoyed -- after the serenity wears through completely it goes to righteous indignation, and it does take sustained crap to get it going i must say. with advertising it is that i think that money could go to r & d or salaries.

go daddy also never gets it right and i don't know if it is intentional or not. and that häagen-dazs one. fingernails on a blackboard -- and she sounds like she has an adam's apple the size of a chicago 16-inch softball. jesus fucken haploid christ on a golf cart with an open alcoholic beverage (rum & coke) . . . just another thing that makes me want to start my own internet service provider.

there is a medication in the united states and perhaps still canada similar to vicodin but with faster onset of effects and other properties that make people like them even more that is stamped with the company name, norco, on the tablets. people don't say vikes, or hydro (no! hydromorphone (dilaudid) is"hydro"), or hydrocodone, they call them norcos. brett favre was a big fan. i noticed a difference for physician-supervised use when i had broken toes back in the day from someone dropping a 50 kilo box of telephone directories on my foot. hydrocodone does work for chronic pain also, but when they stop working they stop working -- time to break out the morphine or nicomorphine or dextromoramide or piritramide or whatever. the faster onset of any analgesic will make it more helpful for breakthrough type pain, meaning that this property of the medication is important, as is the route of administation -- swallowing then go to sublingual and intranasal, then the three main types of shots and/or a pump. the euphoria and pain relief are aspects of one and the same thing, so they will never be able to find this new philosophers' stone.

earlier this week on a listserv i wrote down a veritable typhoon of vituperation about obnoxious advertisements, especially some recent ones by directv ("did u know that directv starts with the letter d?" did u know that u are a dupe of the post-modern techno-industrial megastate?) jesus christ. gag me with a spoon) and got this response, shared with permission:

Ahahaha! Bravo! For the newer people, imagine a combination of John Houseman, Morgan Freeman, and captain von Trapp saying "like gag me with a spoon" etc. Remember to start sentences with "like," too.

My wife was certainly the exemplar of the Valley Girl when I met her and after. Our kids really like to hear it on home movies we took from back then. "Grody to the max" is a favorite saying at our house. But she is actually from Norco, out near West Covina, so is she still a Valley Girl?

so there is a town named norco, which is apparently a portmanteau of north and corona, another city in the area. i don't think they make the sacred medicine there, but if i were the chamber of commerce i would get on it post haste. and keep a jar of norcos up at the counter.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:46 pm

On the radio, the Zimbrick Volkswagen in Middleton ads. I swear they've been running that damned thing since the first VW rolled off the assembly line. I change the station but it plays in my head anyway.

anaranjado

Postby anaranjado » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:07 pm

The KY jelly commercials where the woman is talking about her "natural moistures." I seriously don't want to hear about it and don't want to imagine these people having sex. I also hate the pharmaceutical ads but the one for "Otezla" is particularly stupid and cliche where they show all of these painfully white people having "fun."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:19 pm

anaranjado wrote:The KY jelly commercials where the woman is talking about her "natural moistures." I seriously don't want to hear about it and don't want to imagine these people having sex. I also hate the pharmaceutical ads but the one for "Otezla" is particularly stupid and cliche where they show all of these painfully white people having "fun."

the otexla guy shooting a stream of water from his hands, maybe in that position that adolescents teach each other to do and open up and it looks like a hypogastric cranny, is as freudian as the day is long.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:01 am

GoDaddy...Jesus. I am not sure if they don't care or if they think they have some massive master plan that has yet to be revealed. All of their advertising of all types is positively awful. Some of it is offensive, practically all of it is obnoxious, much of it is dumb, and the whole concept sucks. It is difficult to determine what feedback they think they are getting from which advertising, and so much of it has been downright gratuitous.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:14 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Another one that bugs me are the US Cellular ads with the guy who vaguely looks like a younger version of Samuel L. Jackson (which I assume is intentional) yelling "Way, way, way out here."

It does surely seem intentional, though I am not sure what the idea is.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am

Not obnoxious, just dumb. The billboards for Advanced Fastening Supply that give the location as "just off Stoughton Rd." ?? Half the east side is just off Stoughton Rd!

As a guy who appreciates his tools, I am interested in the place but I never think about it unless I see the billboard. I might just stop in if I was close but I'll probably never go to the trouble of pulling over and looking up the address in the 5 minutes that it's still in my mind after seeing the sign.

And yes, I just looked it up but I don't care anymore.

anaranjado wrote: all of these painfully white people having "fun."

An obnoxious post for an obnoxious ad.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 am

I'm loving the new Decades broadcast channel, and I often watch the other 'oldies' channels as well, but really, do I have to see a commercial for funeral planning and colostomy bags every five minutes? UGH.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:31 am

It is interesting that tv shows like Longmire whose viewers have a lot of boomers in the demographic are forced to Netflix to keep going because the producers are after the twenty somethings, but advertisers keep throwing out commercial after commercial aimed at the boomer crowd. Except they seem to be written by people who have no clear idea how boomers think.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am

rabble wrote:It is interesting that tv shows like Longmire whose viewers have a lot of boomers in the demographic are forced to Netflix to keep going because the producers are after the twenty somethings, but advertisers keep throwing out commercial after commercial aimed at the boomer crowd. Except they seem to be written by people who have no clear idea how boomers think.

They sure don't. All the ads I am shown on line assume I'm in the market for a hearing aid. I've got the hearing of a Doberman.

Return to “Catch All”