My helpful home tips

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My helpful home tips

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Even if you have a no-frost outdoor hose spigot, do not leave your hose connected to it over winter. Water from the hose can expand back into the spigot, freeze and burst the pipe. When you turn it on in the spring, water will be shooting out inside the wall.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 am

Nice to see one of my favorite threads again. The hose disconnect tip is one of the few that I've actually known to do.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Never cross-thread a nut and bolt for the rest of your life. Set the nut on top of the threads and lightly rotate counter clockwise until you feel a definite "click". Then tighten clockwise(normally) by hand until it gets started. After making sure it is seated properly, have at it with the appropriate wrench.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Why on earth are faucet aerators so fucking complicated? How many different parts and separate screens does one aerator need? I took one apart today that had three screens as well as aplastic tab full of micro-holes that can probably get plugged by a single atom.

All man-made water systems carry grit that gets stuck in these ridiculous devices. I want to meet the industrial engineers who design these things. Actually I want to wack them on top of the head and ask "What is wrong with you?"

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 pm

My barn's pump like faucet just lets the minerals bits come through into the bucket. So the bucket gets another rinse - no problem. I guess some humans may freak out.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Why on earth are faucet aerators so fucking complicated? How many different parts and separate screens does one aerator need? I took one apart today that had three screens as well as aplastic tab full of micro-holes that can probably get plugged by a single atom.

All man-made water systems carry grit that gets stuck in these ridiculous devices. I want to meet the industrial engineers who design these things. Actually I want to wack them on top of the head and ask "What is wrong with you?"

Maybe it was one of those stupid, stupid low-flow faucet thingies. Trying to save water, some dingbat decided the trick would be to just let less water through.

Look. If you want to make coffee, you're going to need about a quart of water whether it takes 15 seconds or two minutes. Likewise, if you want to wash your hair, you need a certain amount of water and if you need to stand there for five minutes waiting for it, you'll stand there five minutes.

I'm as careful about conserving resources as anybody, but some of these gadgets are simply unworkable. Making the water squeeze through tiny holes isn't going to cause us to use less of it. It's going to cause us to take the faucet apart and throw that screen away.

And don't get me started on low-flow toilets that won't even swallow a square of toilet paper without double flushing.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:And don't get me started on low-flow toilets that won't even swallow a square of toilet paper without double flushing.

We have ones at work where you flush them one way for "solids" and another for "liquids only" that uses less water. Except that they also installed them in the Men's restroom, where presumably 90% of the flushes will contain solids. I probably waste more water double flushing.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 am

snoqueen wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Why on earth are faucet aerators so fucking complicated? How many different parts and separate screens does one aerator need? I took one apart today that had three screens as well as aplastic tab full of micro-holes that can probably get plugged by a single atom.

Maybe it was one of those stupid, stupid low-flow faucet thingies. Trying to save water, some dingbat decided the trick would be to just let less water through.

Look. If you want to make coffee, you're going to need about a quart of water whether it takes 15 seconds or two minutes. Likewise, if you want to wash your hair, you need a certain amount of water and if you need to stand there for five minutes waiting for it, you'll stand there five minutes.

I'm as careful about conserving resources as anybody, but some of these gadgets are simply unworkable. Making the water squeeze through tiny holes isn't going to cause us to use less of it. It's going to cause us to take the faucet apart and throw that screen away.

And don't get me started on low-flow toilets that won't even swallow a square of toilet paper without double flushing.

those are the worst -- i am sure that so much more water gets used with people double and triple flushing that it defeats the purpose, then there are those who get wise and get a bucket and fill it with water from the sink to use to help flush the bowl if trouble arises, although catching shower and bath water for that use is a better idea . . . not to mention how much more easily they get clogged . . . the only circumstances under which i would consider an alternative to flushing toilet paper down with the rest (as in putting it in the dust bin) would be if there were a fireplace in the bathroom with a fire in progress -- otherwise it is just not sanitary . . .

and in any case is not water the ultimate renewable resource? there are places under pressure to be sure, but on the whole it is not like it disappears for good like petroleum or coal . . . some organisation did some study where they determined that if christopher columbus dumped a litre of water into the ocean from a beer stein off the side of his ship in 1492 or whatever that every litre of water anywhere on earth has something like 15-50 molecules of that same water in it or something . . .

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am

I imagine part of it is aerator designers doing their part to guarantee gravy jobs for plumbers. I have cleaned out hundreds of aerators for customers and I would guess roughly half were even aware that they were a thing that you could unscrew and half or more of those people would have no idea or interest in trying to figure out how to get them apart to clean, let alone getting all the parts back together in the right order.

So my tip here is: Get to know your aerator. Or at least know that it's there and removable and you can at least just take it to the hardware and get a new one if you don't want to tear it apart. It's a lot cheaper than a minimum plumbing call.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:22 am

I removed mine for awhile, but reinstalled it because aerated water also keeps it from splashing all over the place.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am

Wow. This is an awesome tool. My drive is crushed limestone and in spring there is gravel in grass from snow removal. A rake just doesn't work well.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 am

They're running news clips about checking your furnace for the coming week, which is a good idea so I thought I'd mention it here too. It's no guarantee your furnace won't break down after running for a week straight but it doesn't hurt.

Check/change batteries in your thermostat. Don't do this while the furnace is running. Turn the thermostat switch to off AND hit your furnace breaker while you do this. Something about changing batteries while the furnace is on can screw everything up.

Change the filter. The fan is going to be running constantly and the cleaner the filter, the less stress on the fan motor.

If your furnace vents out of the basement wall with PVC pipe, make sure the pipes are not blocked by snow or anything else.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:55 pm

I gave in and did 4 more windows with plastic. I hate doing it and looking at it all winter but it makes a difference. The peeling of the plastic in April is kinda celebratory I guess.

Get the 3M brand if you're doing it. The tape is much better quality than the cheaper brands.

Return to “Catch All”