What Democrats have crossover appeal

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

What Democrats have crossover appeal

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am

Winning the Democrats is not enough for a Democrat to win a presidential election. The candidate must be able to get most independents and have some support among Republicans. If not support among Republicans, at least she shouldn’t inspire a large GOP GOTV movement to vote against her.

The conventional wisdom is Biden and possibly Klobach have the most crossover appeal. I’m not sure if this is true, but it might be.

As a lark, I asked in a forum of hard core alt-right Trump supporters as to their favorite (or least hated) Democrats were.

Third place goes to Klobach due to her being a moderate. No surprise.

First place went to Tulsi Gabbard. She is a bit on the fringes and socially conservative, but so are the Trump supporters. She has little if any chance of getting the nomination.

Second place I found very interesting. The Democratic candidate most maligned by the GOP.

I’m talking about Elizabeth Warren.

Why do the Trump supporters like her, or rather maybe they just don’t dislike her?

They know she cares about the little guy.

Like it or not, many Trump supporters feel both parties have abandoned working class Americans, esp. white working class Americans. Sad to say, there is a lot of truth to this.

Ms. Warren may be reviled and insulted and made fun of, but deep down people know she cares about the little guy and the little gal.

In other words, I think she is a far stronger candidate than I suspected, which is why the GOP is running a slime campaign against her.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What Democrats have crossover appeal

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 am

ms gabbard is also a foreign-policy non-interventionist and in favour of a more constructive united states stance towards india . . . that has plenty of crossover appeal . . .

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 am

gozer wrote:ms gabbard is also a foreign-policy non-interventionist and in favour of a more constructive united states stance towards india . . . that has plenty of crossover appeal . . .

True.

The alt-right folks tend to be non-interventionist.

To a large extent, the alt-right is the right wing of the anti-globalist movement. This is why Ralph Nader got along so well with Pat Buchanan, who is the grandfather of the alt-right. They were both anti-NAFTA and anti-interventionist.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:55 pm

In addition to her populist appeal, Elizabeth Warren also comes across as more likeable. And she doesn't have much baggage that can be used against her. If I had to vote today for a Democratic nominee, she'd get my vote.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:53 pm

I hope Senator Warren can market herself well.

What do I mean?

Bill Clinton marketed himself well — working class kid from a small town in Arkansas. Man from Hope

Al Gore and John Kerry not so much.

Barack Obama marketed himself well — mixed race kid who could see the world from many different perspectives. Hope and Change.

Donald Trump marketed himself well. That is what he has always been good at. MAGA.

Hilary Clinton, not so much. I’m with Her wasn’t a very stirring slogan.

Locally, nobody is better than Tammy Baldwin at marketing herself AND being able to position her opponent.

If Warren can market herself as a kid from a small town in Oklahoma who spent her life working for the little guy, she can win.

If not, she has a much harder job.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Paleo2 wrote:To a large extent, the alt-right is the right wing of the anti-globalist movement. This is why Ralph Nader got along so well with Pat Buchanan, who is the grandfather of the alt-right. They were both anti-NAFTA and anti-interventionist.

On some topics, the political spectrum is a bit more of a circle than a line. A co-worker that home schools his kids said that any group meeting related to that topic is about 50-50 far left and far right.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:21 pm

gargantua wrote:In addition to her populist appeal, Elizabeth Warren also comes across as more likeable. And she doesn't have much baggage that can be used against her. If I had to vote today for a Democratic nominee, she'd get my vote.

Same here, though the primary is a long way off and a lot can happen between now and then.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:37 pm

She is one of the few for whom the right has the least ammunition. After several years the very best they can come up with is "Pocahontas." Even Ned understands how old and stale that one is. The only people it works on are the Trump base and I think even some of them are tired of it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:59 am

if we want crossover appeal, wisdom, name recognition, and the ability to hit the ground running, the obvious choice is oprah winfrey -- of course it would be a step down from her current gig . . . a big one at that . . .

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Paleo2 wrote:Winning the Democrats is not enough for a Democrat to win a presidential election. The candidate must be able to get most independents and have some support among Republicans.

That is ideal, but I think it is more critical to turn out Democratic voters. Any candidate that inspires Democrats will probably grab 40-60% of Independents by default. There are more Democrats than Republicans; they just are less reliable voters.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 am

https://electoral-vote.com/#item-3
"Washington Post Ranks the Democratic Presidential Candidates
Although we have been profiling the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, we have demonstrated that we are capable of learning from experience. We didn't see Donald Trump coming in 2015, or for much of 2016, so we don't dare rank the 2020 challengers to Donald Trump at this point in the process. In contrast, the Washington Post knows no fear and has ranked the top 15 potential challengers. Here is the list:

Kamala Harris
Joe Biden
Elizabeth Warren
Sherrod Brown
Beto O'Rourke
Bernie Sanders
Amy Klobuchar
Cory Booker
Kirsten Gillibrand
10. Michael Bloomberg
Howard Schultz
John Hickenlooper
Julián Castro
Pete Buttigieg
Oprah Winfrey"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 49b0e1674d

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 am

Schultz is not running as a Democratic candidate.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am

The critical thing to be concerned about is winning the electoral vote. Hillary won the popular vote. She appealed to the vast majority of Democratic voters. Thanks to the Electoral vote, racist voter suppression efforts, and the Trump-Stein-Russian collusion/disinformation campaign, we got stuck with the mess occupying the White House. Whatever candidate is chosen and whatever issues and policies are emphasized have to be tailored to attract voters in the middle while also appealing to the various Democratic constituencies. The key is being progressive, but not ridiculous.

What I have seen so far is an attempt to win base voters, not address issues in a way that we can both get rid of Trump and have a governable nation afterwards. I suppose that's understandable at this point, but I'd prefer someone who can appeal to everyone. I remember the Bobby Kennedy campaign in 1968 which sought to heal wounds and societal divides. Of course, he had youth and charisma, but he also had a lot of humility and wisdom.

I like Sherrod Brown's approach so far. He's not going cuckoo chasing the latest thing. He's staying with the basics and appealing to everyone.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 pm

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/4/18210370/w ... h-tax-poll

Americans are open to the idea of hiking the top marginal income tax rate back up to 70 percent, as Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) has suggested, and are positively enthusiastic about Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s proposal to institute a wealth tax on large fortunes, according to a new poll from Morning Consult.

Their survey finds that higher marginal tax rates are favored by 45 percent of the public over 32 percent who say it’s a bad idea, while the wealth tax scores a crushing 60-21 victory that includes majority support from Republicans.

I don't know why it took so long for average-person voters to figure this out, but now they get it. Maybe Warren and AOC have given voice to a lurking suspicion, whereas HClinton couldn't bring her compromised self to say the words.

But this will be a powerful issue in 2020. People want fairer taxes as much as they want access to healthcare, and once those doors open it'll be very hard for the Republicans to slam them shut.

Elizabeth Warren has positioned herself well to take advantage and attract voters for whom this matters. It's hard to see why raising top-end tax rates on the rich could even be controversial.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't know why it took so long for average-person voters to figure this out, but now they get it. Maybe Warren and AOC have given voice to a lurking suspicion, whereas HClinton couldn't bring her compromised self to say the words.

^^^This.

The petabytes of data on her and the dedicated army to wield it matters too, but mostly that was it. She doesn't really want to change the status quo. That's why she helped torpedo Bernie.

Return to “National Politics & Government”