Republican Steve King of Iowa stripped of committee assignments

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Republican Steve King of Iowa stripped of committee assignments

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Republicans are pretending that they don't want white supremacists within their ranks. This seems like a dangerous gambit given their base voters, but they need to look to the future and there's something oddly encouraging about this move. They've stripped the Iowa Republican of all committee assignments and publicly rebuked him for his remarks questioning whether white supremacy and nationalism is really such a bad thing. In his defense, he quickly disavowed white supremacy, but he has a history of similar incendiary remarks and it's become a bit of a thorn for the GOP.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics ... index.html

Predictably, he shot the messenger. Because why not? You can't trust a quote from the New York Times, can you?

And the Iowa Republican said he's not worried that his comments -- when he told The New York Times, "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?" -- will affect his chances at re-election. He said he has not heard push back from local Republican leaders in Iowa.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/politics ... index.html

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Republican Steve King of Iowa stripped of committee assignments

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 am

with no committee assignments to keep his shoulder to the wheel and his ear to the millstone, i wonder what he will do with his time and if he is going to blunder into more adventures of the same type -- maybe trying to rehabilitate father coughlin and gerald l k smith?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Iowa. Of course we have RoJo, but he's not that bad.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 am

gargantua wrote:Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Iowa. Of course we have RoJo, but he's not that bad.

My farming relatives live in King's district. It's an interesting rural area of Iowa. It did send Rep. Berkley Bedel, a fly fisherman and progressive Democrat, to the House. The district was considerably affected by the farm crisis in the 1980s, and many small farmers, who tend to be more progressive, went under. The farms got bigger the populations got smaller. The rural population migration out caused businesses in small towns to contract. Sioux City got hit hard as the packing industry also consolidated and laid off unionized workers. The population decline caused the district to be rearranged, and it's less progressive. There was also the CAFO explosion, which brought in factory farming. When kids left and the dirty work was done by Mexican immigrant labor, the politics of resentment set in there, as it did in many areas of Wisconsin. The Farm Bureau, which leans right, is very strong in Iowa.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:59 am

It isn't just Iowans who support the white nationalist views of King. A certain Minnesotan, who used to live in Madison, also has views that closely align with King.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:19 am

#notalliowa - The rest of the state elected Dems to the House.

Funny that the GOP didn't notice when King was hanging out with Nazis in Europe.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:39 am

pjbogart wrote:Republicans are pretending that they don't want white supremacists within their ranks. This seems like a dangerous gambit given their base voters, but they need to look to the future and there's something oddly encouraging about this move. They've stripped the Iowa Republican of all committee assignments and publicly rebuked him for his remarks questioning whether white supremacy and nationalism is really such a bad thing. In his defense, he quickly disavowed white supremacy, but he has a history of similar incendiary remarks and it's become a bit of a thorn for the GOP.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics ... index.html

Predictably, he shot the messenger. Because why not? You can't trust a quote from the New York Times, can you?

And the Iowa Republican said he's not worried that his comments -- when he told The New York Times, "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?" -- will affect his chances at re-election. He said he has not heard push back from local Republican leaders in Iowa.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/politics ... index.html

Speaking as someone who was once interviewed by the NT Times, when someone says they were misquoted it taken out of context by The NY Times, I believe them.

One day The Times did a hit piece on someone I knew. I spent about 45 minutes talking about how great the guy was. The Times attributed two quotes to me, both of which made it sound like I was ripping the guy a new one. One was taken out of context in a way it made it seem the opposite of what it meant in context. The other one was changed to mean the exact opposite of what I really said.

Fortunately a mutual friend arranged for the three of us to have lunch together so I could explain myself. He was actually really understanding. Strange thing is, a supermarket tabloid later tricked him into an interview, and they did a much better job than The Times. A few year later he gave an exclusive interview to that tabloid and refused to talk to The Times.

Anyone who is a public figure or who knows any public figures will tell you reporters misquote ALL the time. I once sent a friend a favorable article about her from a different NY paper. She told me she quit counting the misquotes after the first couple of dozen.

I think the Republicans believe King when he says his quotes were out of context. Thing is, they were looking for some excuse to throw him under the bus for all his other racist shit. Assuming King is telling the truth, he is still an embarrassment to the GOP.

The problem with doing it over this quote is it puts them in a bind. On one hand they complain about the “lying press”, and then throw their guy under the bus when he says the press are lying.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 pm

I can believe that they get it wrong because it happened to me too, although it was clearly just a screwup. In my case, someone else's comments were attributed to me. I had the emails, so I was able to protect my reputation in my agency.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:23 pm

The Democrat Party is rife with racists and anti Semites. Maybe they'll get the backbone to deal with these people too.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:The Democrat Party is rife with racists and anti Semites. Maybe they'll get the backbone to deal with these people too.

Wake up, gramps -- they did that, 55 years ago:

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-pa ... atic-south

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Weather Bob wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:The Democrat Party is rife with racists and anti Semites. Maybe they'll get the backbone to deal with these people too.

Wake up, gramps -- they did that, 55 years ago:

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-pa ... atic-south

He doesn't care. He just wants to write Democrat Party and see if anybody does anything.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 pm

If that's his point, then eh, it just shows how tired and useless Neddy is.

The FBI opened a counterintelligence investigation to determine whether the president of the United States is a Russian asset.

In that context, "nyah nyah, Democrat Party" is pretty weak.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 pm

There are two Democrat Parties I am aware of.
One is in Thailand, the other in Turkey.

I’m not sure which one Ned thinks is filled with racists and anti-Semites.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm

I've now read two articles that appear to be written by two different people saying his local base still looks solid as a rock. One of them put forth the proposition that this is one of the reasons they're using him to pretend they aren't racist. They get to parade him around with a big We're Not Racists sign but he'll still be around in three years with a whole lot of favors he can call in.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Weather Bob wrote:If that's his point, then eh, it just shows how tired and useless Neddy is.

The FBI opened a counterintelligence investigation to determine whether the president of the United States is a Russian asset.

In that context, "nyah nyah, Democrat Party" is pretty weak.

Um, the FBI opened a "case" to spy on a political candidate. Both Hillary and Obama were behind this, by the way. Treason indeed.

Return to “National Politics & Government”