Liz Warren for president

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Liz Warren for president

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm

She is just exploring for now. Are Council Bluffs and Storm Lake major cities in Iowa?

https://elizabethwarren.com/?source=BPI ... gJmqvD_BwE

"Elizabeth grew up on the ragged edge of the middle class in Oklahoma and became a teacher, a law professor, and a US Senator because America invested in kids like her. She’s spent her career taking on powerful interests and fighting to give every kid the same chance to succeed."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/p ... ement.html

"Senator Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat and a sharp critic of big banks and unregulated capitalism, entered the 2020 race for president on Monday, becoming the first major candidate in what is likely to be a long and crowded primary marked by ideological and generational divisions in a Democratic Party determined to beat President Trump.

Ms. Warren quickly made plans to campaign this weekend in Iowa, which holds the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses in February 2020. The senator, who has not traveled to Iowa recently, announced Tuesday that she would visit several of the state’s major cities: Des Moines, Council Bluffs, Storm Lake and Sioux City."

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Liz Warren for president

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Council Bluffs is across the border from Omaha.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 pm

I like her as a presidential candidate more than Bernie, quite frankly. I like Biden a lot, but my problem with him is that I don't think he can win.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 am

They've got a lot of ammo for Hillary, Bernie, and Joe.

For her, their most powerful sound byte is "Pocahontas! haw haw haw!" and that one doesn't have a whole lot of mileage left in it. I think she's the best bet.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am

Cadfael wrote:They've got a lot of ammo for Hillary, Bernie, and Joe.

For her, their most powerful sound byte is "Pocahontas! haw haw haw!" and that one doesn't have a whole lot of mileage left in it. I think she's the best bet.

I think the best bet(s) haven't announced yet.

Don't forget the millennials now out number baby boom voters. Millennials aren't necessarily moved by candidates the age of their grandparents. They didn't come out for Hillary Clinton, for instance.

Elizabeth Warren has a far better platform, record, and demeanor than Clinton, but wait until Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke steps up. We need to let this play out a while before we know who can handle this best.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

That new Muslim Congresswomen had the lingo down to appeal to the Millennials. If she ran against Trump it would be a contest of who can think up the best dirty retort.

I'm a boomer with a Millennial daughter. I don't see age as that big of a divide.

When I was young, there was a huge divide, supposedly, between the generations, yet many of our heros were older. Many of them had fought in World War II and knew what war meant, and didn't think what we were doing in Vietnam was necessary. Eugene McCarthy was older, but carried the anti-war movement forward with support from us young'uns. Senators Morse and Fulbright were grandparent age at that time. We thought they were great.

It's not so much age, as positions on issues and the way they go about campaigning. Candidates have to appeal to all generations to be really effective as a campaigner or in governance. Sen. Warren has probably been in the classroom long enough to know how to appeal to the younger voters.

My own problem with Warren is that sometimes she comes across as a bit too pedantic. She talks a lot and too fast. Just slow down and listen. Also, she has a little catch, or tick in her voice, a needless vocalized exhale, that annoys me. Get rid of that.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Harris and O'Rourke might not be seasoned enough to be President yet. As I type this I realize what a quaint notion being qualified to be President has turned into.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Warren has her faults.

I can’t think of any better candidate, though. She has been a great defender of working Americans.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Donald wrote:My own problem with Warren is that sometimes she comes across as a bit too pedantic. She talks a lot and too fast.
Not to me. She seems like an eloquent teacher, and I've always liked teachers.

And related, if only tangentially:
Who cares whether you think these women are likable ...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Very fair point. Women are held to a different, and nearly impossible to satisfy, standard. This needs to stop. I can't think of an issue Elizabeth Warren and I disagree on. I don't care about how she inhales wrong, or whatever. She's on the right side of issues, and she doesn't act like some fucking overgrown baby-man.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm not disagreeing with Warren for President, but if you think the folks who are still talking about Bill Clinton's penis can't get any more mileage out of "Pocohantas" then I'd say you're delusional.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:12 pm

pjbogart wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with Warren for President, but if you think the folks who are still talking about Bill Clinton's penis can't get any more mileage out of "Pocohantas" then I'd say you're delusional.

Maybe not. Good ol' Bill just couldn't help himself. He kept handing them penis jokes pretty damn regularly. It wasn't just an old chestnut from a fire long ago, it was one damn thing after another for an embarrassingly long period of time. I do not think Bill's penis and Liz's dna are good analogies.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 pm

They'll milk it as much as they can, until they find something better. It just doesn't resonate like Benghazi!, or Email Server!
I just don't think it will hurt her much with persuadable voters.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm

I see it as helping somewhat. If they keep throwing it out, all Elizabeth's crew has to do is point out that the worst thing her enemies can say about her is that her family was mistaken about its ancestry.

There are enough people out there who have the legend of a native american princess in their family lore who could identify with that. And I bet if it comes down to it, with a presidential election coming up, some researcher out there could find a whole lot of self-righteous conservatives who have misrepresented their heritage.

Given the current state of affairs, there might even be some federal workers who, once they start getting paid again, might be able to find some records of that. Lord knows they've got the motivation now.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:wait until Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke steps up.

Beto? Kamala? Wasn't Barack far out enough? I'm thinking more like Joe, Elizabeth, Tom, Dick, or Harry.

Return to “National Politics & Government”