Yeah, but I won't be here

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yeah, but I won't be here

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Is this the gun thread or the deficit thread?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

First it was the I won't be there thread. Then it was the "why does anyone believe this guy" thread. Then penquin showed up and it became the "you guys are all alike I'm the only reasonable one" thread. And who cares. Where goeth the penquin goeth the gun talk.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:28 pm

A one trick bird?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:36 am

pjbogart wrote:A few minutes on the Google and jman was able to show you that Limbaugh did, in fact, trot out that particular conspiracy theory.

You need to actually read the article, rather than just skim it...'cause Limbaugh did no such thing.

Tho, in all fairness, it's easy to see how folks like you could be duped by a guy like him.

As in, liberals may also get caught up in internet propaganda, but it's not their normal form of argumentation.

A example which recently once again appeared on this forum was the whole "voting for Third Party is the same as not voting" lie...that's nothing but pure-propaganda from their Political Party and it's constantly being passed along as if it is the truth.

Another "normal form of argumentation" is to label anyone who disagrees with 'em as Nazis and racists...which is nothing but pure propaganda. And it certainly appears to be "normal" for false memes to be passed along without the poster even taking 10 seconds to fact-check 'em.

*shrug*

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:51 am

And if you took more than just five seconds to skim over what Limbaugh had said, then you'd see that he isn't talking about that actually happening now but rather were he beleives we're headed.

It's "others" who are being duped?

And so they are employing new tactics...

They’ve given up on the idea of using government to get rid of guns, to find them and confiscate them to get rid of the Second Amendment, and instead they’re using the private sector to do it.

The way they are doing it...

This is already happening.

(my emphases)
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2018 ... amendment/

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: but the soundbite says it is true!!

Postby penquin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:03 am

jman111 wrote:(my emphases)

Yup...if we look only at your emphases and cherry-picked quotes then it does appear as if Limbaugh is saying that banks are denying home & personal loans to gun owners. But if you actually read the whole thing then it's obvious he isn't saying that is happening now but rather what he sees will happen in the near future due to how the banks are currently behaving.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 am

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 am

jman111 wrote:Facts matter.

So does reading in context. Luckily I have both in my corner.

Limbaugh is saying that things which are happening now (like the banks and other corporations denying banking services to some gun companies; not letting gun stores advertise; etc etc) against firearm companies could lead to similar actions against gun owners as well. Actually reading what he said, rather than skimming over it in order to pick out a couple selective statements, shows that he ain't saying what you and PJ claim he is saying.

And honestly, wouldn't you personally support such a thing anyways...aren't you one of the people who thing that the NRA and anyone who supports 'em are terrorists? And shouldn't terrorists be denied access to the US banking system?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yeah, but he ain't quite here

Postby penquin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:47 am

Henry Vilas wrote:A one trick bird?

You've said something similar in the past when I've talked about the War on Drugs and how we should re-legalize marijuana.

You've also said the same kind of thing when I bring up voting for a Third/Fourth party as an alternative to the choices offered from the TwoMajorParties.

And now you're claiming that the only thing I talk about is guns and gun control?

*rolls eyes*

Sad part is - I'm not sure if you're just trolling or if you honestly beleive that I only do talk about one thing and one thing only, but your memory-issues make it impossible for you to recall what that "one thing" actually is.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:31 pm

penquin wrote:And honestly, wouldn't you personally support such a thing anyways...aren't you one of the people who thing that the NRA and anyone who supports 'em are terrorists? And shouldn't terrorists be denied access to the US banking system?

Wow, your mind concocts some laughably strange things.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:05 pm

In another thread I just agreed with penquin, but here I think he's not being accurate, just as HV was not being accurate about "all" vs "most".

The Limbaugh transcript is almost entirely written in the present tense -- "this IS happening". Tossing in one tiny caveat that "this is in the early stages, just getting started, blah blah blah" doesn't undo all the rest of the text, which is clearly implying that people are already, today, being denied mortgages because they oppose gun control.

Limbaugh's column is dishonest and deceptive.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:25 pm

penquin wrote:And honestly, wouldn't you personally support such a thing anyways...aren't you one of the people who thing that the NRA and anyone who supports 'em are terrorists? And shouldn't terrorists be denied access to the US banking system?

If you're going to complain about Henry mis-stating your claim of "most guns" as "all guns", you should probably endeavor to not do things like this.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:42 pm

modus operandi: a particular way or method of doing something, especially one that is characteristic or well-established.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Weather Bob wrote:If you're going to complain about Henry mis-stating your claim of "most guns" as "all guns", you should probably endeavor to not do things like this.

Asking if "jman" was one of the forons who agreed that the NRA is akin to ISIS is nothing-at-all like that bullshit you called Henry out on.

And just how many different names do you have anyways?

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:26 pm

penquin wrote:
Weather Bob wrote:If you're going to complain about Henry mis-stating your claim of "most guns" as "all guns", you should probably endeavor to not do things like this.

Asking if "jman" was one of the forons who agreed that the NRA is akin to ISIS is nothing-at-all like that bullshit you called Henry out on.

In my experience, in cases like this we all tend to see our own words in the best, most generous possible light, and see the other person's words in the absolute worst possible light.

FWIW, I do note that Henry's response to my "calling him out" was pretty civil. Right?

Return to “National Politics & Government”