The new US House of Representatives.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The new US House of Representatives.

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Paul Krugman wrote:I have no idea how well Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will perfom as a member of Congress. But her election is already serving a valuable purpose. You see, the mere thought of having a young, articulate, telegenic nonwhite woma serve is driving many the right mad - and in their madness they're inadvertently revealing their true selves.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Cadfael wrote:
Paul Krugman wrote:I have no idea how well Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will perfom as a member of Congress. But her election is already serving a valuable purpose. You see, the mere thought of having a young, articulate, telegenic nonwhite woma serve is driving many the right mad - and in their madness they're inadvertently revealing their true selves.

I like her. Not just because she makes the right wing crazies foam at the mouth. I just find her to be personally appealing, if that makes any sense. Maybe it's charisma, or maybe it's that she seems so comfortable just being herself. Not like your garden variety politician.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:

I like her. Not just because she makes the right wing crazies foam at the mouth. I just find her to be personally appealing, if that makes any sense. Maybe it's charisma, or maybe it's that she seems so comfortable just being herself. Not like your garden variety politician.

That is precisely why the right wing crazies are foaming at the mouth. It's just an added bonus.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 am

Gotta do a little housecleaning.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am

Actor James Woods, via Twitter, names New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez "the most dangerous person in America right now.” and that conservatives ignore her “at your peril.”

“I’m six days into term, and you already used up your ammo,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a Fox News piece tweeted by the actor. “So enjoy being exhausted for the next two years while we run train on the progressive agenda.”

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm

Should we take the freshman Representative - the youngest in the House - seriously? I mean, she's barely had time to find the cafeteria.

Well the plutocrats at Davos seem to be.

Oh sure, they're trying to laugh off her ideas for increasing the top marginal tax rates.

But you know the aphorism:
First they laugh at you...

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:36 am

Technically, they ignore you first and then then laugh, but yeah. She's definitely gone through the first two steps.

In fact if we go back to the original 1914 quote by Nicholas Klein
First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.
...She's quite a way into the third step.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 am

here is the article by the way:
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... nt-1093728

carrot & stick

she actually runs on a platform and has a programme in mind instead of vote for me because trump and the establishment sees her as trouble? or at least some of the establishment?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Cadfael, thanks for the correction.

They're not ignoring her now! FOX pundits have mentioned AOC four times more often than Senator Mitch McConnell.

Little know fact about American politics - the Senate majority leader actually holds considerably more control over legislation than a freshman rep.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 pm

DCB wrote:They're not ignoring her now! FOX pundits have mentioned AOC four times more often than Senator Mitch McConnell.

Hey, go check out Globby's latest thread to see how every woman in the House with a backbone has progressed to the ridicule stage.

Ah. So, it looks like Globe's doing some serious trolling today. It would be the powerful women thread. Not the Pocahontas thread or whatever he throws out after that.

Return to “National Politics & Government”