Sessions out as attorney general

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Sessions out as attorney general

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at Trump’s request

This is Trump's first move in trying to stop the Mueller investigation. He is counting on the GOP controlled Senate to find him not guilty in an impeachment trials, even if the House brings charges. We'll see.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... s-at-trump’s-request/ar-BBPsjBH?ocid=spartanntp

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sessions out as attorney general

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I think the timing is more about getting rid of Mueller and hoping that people forget about it between now and next January, when the new House is sworn in.

I suspect we'll see some quick action over the next few days. More than anything else, I'm curious to see how Republicans in the Senate respond.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:47 pm

The Senate will have to approve any new AG appointee. The hearings on that appointment should be very interesting.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm

The one and only thing that Sessions didn't do very well (by Trump's standards) was the recusal from the Mueller investigation. Were it not for that, I'd be happy to see Sessions go.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Trump will go out of his way to appoint an extremely loyal yes man.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm

I won't be surprised to see something (i.e., another indictment) from Mueller on Friday, if not before.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm going to miss the little guy.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I can't remember the names, but some time back, several Republicans warned Trump not to fire Mueller. I believe this came on the heels of the Comey firing.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I can't remember the names, but some time back, several Republicans warned Trump not to fire Mueller. I believe this came on the heels of the Comey firing.

Jeff Flake was one. Even Paul Ryan counseled against it at the time. Now? Who nows?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Remember, Sessions is under investigation by Mueller as well, and has been questioned several times. I'm guessing he'll be meeting with Mueller again soon:) #trumptowerelf

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Mr. Sessions delivered his resignation letter to the White House at the request of the president and Mr. Trump tapped Matthew Whitaker, Mr. Sessions’s chief of staff, as acting attorney general. In that capacity, Mr. Whitaker assumes control of the Russia investigation, raising questions about the future of the inquiry led by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

Mr. Whitaker has previously questioned the scope of the investigation. In a column for CNN last year, Mr. Whitaker wrote that Mr. Mueller would be going too far if he examined the Trump family’s finances.

The fix is on.

Looks it might be up to the new Democratic controlled committees in the House to look into Trump's tax returns and other financial transactions. But that won't happen until the new Congress takes their seats in January. I believe I read that the IRS placed Trump's tax returns in a "safe location." Does that mean they have already been incinerated?

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

david cohen wrote:Remember, Sessions is under investigation by Mueller as well, and has been questioned several times. I'm guessing he'll be meeting with Mueller again soon:) #trumptowerelf

Interesting thought. So what if anything does Sessions owe Trump, now that he's been cut loose?

I had figured that Trump finally fired him as a way to get the Republican loss of the House and the governorships off the front page, since that's his usual short-sighted m.o. (counting on the press and his supporters to have an even shorter attention span than he does, not giving a fraction of a thought to the consequences). Now I'm wondering what fresh can of worms he's opened up for himself with this maneuver :lolno:

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Let's be clear about something... Jeff Sessions was a terrible AG. He never should have been nominated, much less confirmed by the Senate. And the one good thing he did was to recuse himself over the Russian Collusion investigation, but that's really just because he was waist deep in the shit. Which, once again, made him a terrible choice for AG.

Trump has already nominated a "yes man" and if Republicans have a shred of decency left, they're going to say, "No, man". Either that or they can bring the special counsel under the control of the legislative branch to shield him from Trump's whims. While the House and Senate do not have executive powers, they do have investigative powers. Any indictments would need to be forwarded to the DOJ, but the investigation could continue.

Of course, Republicans still hold both Houses of Congress until January, so there's plenty of time for them to fold things up until the new House is sworn in.

I very much believe that we're watching a new Watergate unfold and the big question is whether Republicans will be cowed by their losses in the House or emboldened by their gains in the Senate. Time will tell, but I don't think we'll have to wait long.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Whitaker says the Mueller probe will go on. But unless he recuses himself from oversight of that investigation, he will have the power to decide whom Mueller can indict and what, if anything, in the report will be made public.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:40 pm

trump's a werewolf?

Return to “National Politics & Government”