The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm

It does appear to be the case now, but I have a great deal of confidence in Trump's and the GOP's ability to fearmonger. The second and third bullet points

• Hypersensitivity to Threat: conservatives have exaggerated response to fear.
  • Terror Management Theory: When reminded of our own mortality, we move more strongly to defend those with whom we identify, be it worldview, nationality, or ethnicity.
Those are going to be brought into play sometime around September or October. The small numbers of conservatives who are claiming to walk away from the Republicans will be brought back by a fear campaign that will be unprecedented in organization, resources, and detail. They'll scare the pants off millions of half literate couch potatoes who will head for the polls right along with the woke millennials and voting age high schoolers.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 pm

I've seen a lot of talk on Twitter about how Trump only has to just do "these two things" to nail down the conservative vote.
So. Fucking. What.
Can't anyone do math? They barely top 30% of eligible voters. And everyone else hates them now. Giving the rich a 100 billion dollar tax cut and shutting down the government over the stupid wall that Mexico won't pay for isn't going to grow the base. Oh, and the love for Russia and North Korea among voters will really help too, won't it?
But, on the other hand, the Democrats are pretty incompetent, so there's always a chance they could even blow this.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm

I think it's a fifty fifty shot, myself. The Dems, working with the Sane contingent, will probably mobilize a large number of people who haven't voted before. The GOP, working with the Russians and the One Percent, will re-mobilize a large number of people who have wandered from their fold because they just couldn't take Trump.

The problem is, both sides are using fear. We, as in you, me, and the rest of the people with some brain cells, are afraid of the GOP and what it's doing to the country. The GOP is afraid of liberals.

And we all know which side responds better to fear-based tactics. That's the big problem. We have to find a way to mobilize the sane people and even after all that's happened, we're still looking for the method to do it. Those poll numbers don't show a groundswell, they're showing a majority that can be beaten.

The Republicans already know what will kick their people into gear. Just make them afraid. Doesn't matter how. Just instill one big adrenaline panic rush. As soon as they're scared enough, they'll get out there and vote GOP.

We don't have a mechanism like that yet, and that's going to hurt us. Along with the gerrymandering, vote suppression, and voting machines with no paper trail.

Even with all that, I still think the Dems will gain ground. Whether it's a tsunami or a wave is hard to say, but it's not going to be a slam dunk.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 am

snoqueen wrote:
Cadfael wrote:Okay, let's get this straight. It's TOE the line. Putting your toe on the line.

It is NOT towing the line. We are not pulling anything. We are putting toes on a line.

Sigh.

Thank you. I'd pretty much consigned this one to the dustbin of grammatical corrections along with flaunt≠flout.

Irregardless, this begs the question of why your flouting you're college learnin'.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 am

DCB wrote:
snoqueen wrote:
Cadfael wrote:Okay, let's get this straight. It's TOE the line. Putting your toe on the line.

It is NOT towing the line. We are not pulling anything. We are putting toes on a line.

Sigh.

Thank you. I'd pretty much consigned this one to the dustbin of grammatical corrections along with flaunt≠flout.

Irregardless, this begs the question of why your flouting you're college learnin'.

Thats larnin them some real folks talkin.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 am

I see a pretty big blue wave, but NOT a blue tsumami.

Decent chance of getting a lot of seats.

However, the Democratic Party has a LONG history of shooting itself in the foot, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and whatever other cliche anyone can imagine.

Remember, back in January 2009, the Democrats looked like they had complete control. Strong throughout the country, control of the White House and both houses of Congress,

Then they lost Congress, the White House, any hope of every getting the Supreme Court, lots of governorships and state legislatures (about 1000 seats altogether).

For example, in Wisconsin in January 2009, the Democrats controlled both Senate seats, most congressional seats, every statewide office, and both houses of the legislature.

No way the Democratic Party will get anywhere close to where they were back in 2008. This will be more of a correction, possibly a very big correction, then a tsunami.

Even if the voters want a tsumani, in the past 10 years the GOP has done so much gerrymandering and voter suppression, the Democrats couldn't get a huge win even if they get a significantly larger percentage of the vote in 2018 then they had in 2008.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am

Rudy Giuliani Defends Michael Cohen's Hush Money Payments: 'Nobody Got Killed'

The latest defense for Trump's behavior. Will his base buy into it? Rhetorical question, of course they will.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am

I found this interesting comment on Quora...

I’ve been a New Yorker since 1984 and my family had real estate dealings with Trump over those years. We had a lot more money than he did, not to mention more property (I’m not bragging, none of this wealth had anything to do with me, I’m merely pointing out our position in his world). He was notorious for borrowing money and not paying it back. He borrowed an enormous amount of money from my father in law and never paid it back. My father in law was put in a difficult position because he respected Trump’s father (which is why he loaned Donald the money in the first place). He was known to be foolish and a terrible businessman and managed to secure loans based on this good will and respect for his father.

Most of America does not know about this (or would prefer a different narrative), but this attitude and approach and style of Trump’s is obviously apparent to many.

Liberals are not the only ones who are aghast at his blatant incompetence and lying, true conservatives are as well. Trump is not a conservative. He is a wasteful, dishonest, and impulsive person. This is the antithesis of conservatism and it disgusts many “true” conservatives.

This is all in the open and not debatable. We see it and hear it and read it every day, in his own words and through his own actions. His tweets are not fake news. What he says publicly is not fake news. What he enacts (and tries to enact) in office is not fake news.

If someone is condescending to a Trump supporter it’s because, first of all, they aren’t being very polite. Secondly it’s because they find it incredibly difficult to understand how someone can witness this presidency and still support it. It would seem to require either outright ignorance, extreme cognitive dissonance, or a lack of a substantial grasp of reality and how the world works. Or all of the above.~ Ian James

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Some of the people who support this presidency in spite of it all are doing it purely to spite liberals, who they detest. That is literally all they care about. He upsets liberals, and that makes them happy.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

gargantua wrote:Some of the people who support this presidency in spite of it all are doing it purely to spite liberals, who they detest. That is literally all they care about. He upsets liberals, and that makes them happy.
Makes me wonder what kind of dog they have in this fight.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
gargantua wrote:Some of the people who support this presidency in spite of it all are doing it purely to spite liberals, who they detest. That is literally all they care about. He upsets liberals, and that makes them happy.
Makes me wonder what kind of dog they have in this fight.

There was a question on Twitter asking if people would support a primary challenger to Trump who backed all his MAGA policies but was a true conservative. The overwhelming response was, sure, as long as he (interesting assumption) is a fighter, and will own the libs like Trump does.
It's the tribal society we live in today. And I admit it. I detest those people too. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:47 pm

And if it was a Romney-Trump primary? I would love to see that.

Return to “National Politics & Government”