The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:56 pm

This is the clearest explanation I've found that explains the Trump base.
Research explains why Donald Trump maintains support despite shocking behavior.
Four main reasons.
  • Dunning-Kruger effect: people with low ability don't recognize their low abilities, and people with high abilities think what's easy for them is easy for everyone else.
  • Hypersensitivity to Threat: conservatives have exaggerated response to fear.
  • Terror Management Theory: When reminded of our own mortality, we move more strongly to defend those with whom we identify, be it worldview, nationality, or ethnicity.
  • High Attentional Engagement: Trump can hold our attention longer than anyone else. Literally. Hillary, Bill, Barack, none of them can consistently hold our attention longer he can even if you disagree with everything he says. He's a showman. And to the huge demographic addicted to reality TV, that's a grabber.
So what can we do to potentially change the minds of Trump loyalists before voting day in November? As a cognitive neuroscientist, it grieves me to say that there may be nothing we can do. The overwhelming majority of these people may be beyond reach, at least in the short term. The best we can do is to motivate everyone else to get out to the booths and check the box that doesn’t belong to a narcissistic nationalist who has the potential to damage the nation beyond repair.

This article agrees with my own declaration: there is no reasoning with that crowd. Some of them are leaving on their own but the base is still rock solid and cannot be reached.

The only thing we can do is outnumber them at the elections. And that assumes the elections aren't already compromised to the point that they're meaningless.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Cad, we outnumber Trump's base by almost 2-1. Even the Russians couldn't hide the kind of election fraud it would take to save the GOP. But they'll try, and we have a POTUS who will deny it even if they're caught. And if you're Russia, so what? We'll be at each other's throats regardless. That's the whole point.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Cadfael wrote:The only thing we can do is outnumber them at the elections. And that assumes the elections aren't already compromised to the point that they're meaningless.

Selecting through shills and grifters....the 'multi-party' fraud. Lemming lines and crossed fingers, then another electoral college group of shills and grifters selects the Entertainer in Chief for the next four years, while the Mil.Gov UniParty ratchets up the bleedout of citizens last life savings that are never coming back to $5T for this go-around. E pluribus now get back to work. Election Day is over.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Well okay, I think that's one vote for "the elections are meaningless."

If I understand correctly, violent revolution is out due to the lemming lines and crossed fingers contingent. Systematic change of any sort is also not possible due to the Mil.Gov UniParty and its shills and grifters.

Which leaves us with absolutely no hope. Thanks Polka.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:04 pm

gargantua wrote:Cad, we outnumber Trump's base by almost 2-1. Even the Russians couldn't hide the kind of election fraud it would take to save the GOP. But they'll try, and we have a POTUS who will deny it even if they're caught. And if you're Russia, so what? We'll be at each other's throats regardless. That's the whole point.
When backed in a corner, just kick the Muslim, it works every time. Trump's crypto- base is 'woke' and their wagons are circled, and Isrea'al is now an Hassidic State. This is their glorious bastard Apocalypse!

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm

gargantua wrote:Cad, we outnumber Trump's base by almost 2-1.

Who do you mean by "we?" I'll buy into the fact that his base is less than one third of the country or even one third of the voting population, but that doesn't translate to us outnumbering them.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 pm

Cadfael wrote:Which leaves us with absolutely no hope. Thanks Polka.
Sadly you may be right. Both East and West have adopted neoliberalism and authoritarian/faux democratic rule.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Cadfael wrote:

Who do you mean by "we?" I'll buy into the fact that his base is less than one third of the country or even one third of the voting population, but that doesn't translate to us outnumbering them.

Everyone who is not his base. And it translates if "we" all vote.
I don't expect that to happen. If it did, Trump wouldn't have won an Electoral College victory in the first place.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 am

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:

Everyone who is not his base. And it translates if "we" all vote.
I don't expect that to happen. If it did, Trump wouldn't have won an Electoral College victory in the first place.

I'd like to believe that the Millenials are now officially "woke". I guess we'll find out.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I'd be happy just to understand how the patriotic/pro-military/pro-gun/bootstrap pulling crowd overlooks the fact that their guy is a silver spooned draft-dodging pussy. ?

I mean, they do realize there was no late 60's epidemic of bone spurs in wealthy young males.... right?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I'd be happy just to understand how the patriotic/pro-military/pro-gun/bootstrap pulling crowd overlooks the fact that their guy is a silver spooned draft-dodging pussy. ?

I mean, they do realize there was no late 60's epidemic of bone spurs in wealthy young males.... right?

In my own humble opinion, most of that is Dunning-Kruger. The other three play a part but mostly it's the first bullet point. They're too stupid to realize they're stupid.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Trump Administration Mulls a Unilateral Tax Cut for the Wealthy

Trump's less than wealthy base will approve because... let's have Roy explain.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I'd be happy just to understand how the patriotic/pro-military/pro-gun/bootstrap pulling crowd overlooks the fact that their guy is a silver spooned draft-dodging pussy. ?

On Fox News earlier tonight I watched as Lou Dobbs ranted about the 'establishment' Republican party being run by corporate interests and wall street, specifically calling out the Koch brothers twice within about 45 seconds. He's seriously pushing the narrative that Trump is here to protect the middle class from the likes of the Kochs, if only McConnell and Ryan would get out of the way. Up is down. Black is white. It's absolutely bizarro world. And these folks are following like they've got rings in their noses.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 am

jman111 wrote: He's seriously pushing the narrative that Trump is here to protect the middle class from the likes of the Kochs, if only McConnell and Ryan would get out of the way.

Did he provide any examples of this? No, right? It's a narrative completely free of context.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

jman111 wrote:On Fox News earlier tonight I watched as Lou Dobbs ranted about the 'establishment' Republican party being run by corporate interests and wall street, specifically calling out the Koch brothers twice within about 45 seconds.

OK, I see now. Trump's tariffs are ruffling some corporate feathers.
President Donald Trump on Tuesday slammed the powerful Koch brothers in a series of tweets as "a total joke" who run a "highly overrated" network of donors.

The tweets come just a day after the conservative network said it would distance itself from the commander-in-chief and other top Republicans who don't support their agenda.

Trump's fierce criticism of the Koch brothers, whose network of donors have been staunch givers to Republican campaigns and causes for years, comes after top leaders at the network, spoke out against the direction of the party and vowed to be less partisan.

How ironic is it that they're now trying to foment resistance to the corporate overlords who helped pave their way to the Whitehouse?

Return to “National Politics & Government”