Donald Trump, Psychopath

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Donald Trump, Psychopath

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Cadfael wrote:
gargantua wrote:If he's not talking about the 34% who represent Trump's support base, I guess I'm just stupid. Or maybe living in Madison my entire life, I don't hear the conversations he's been subjected to. Most of the people I know can't stand Trump, Walker, McConnell, Ryan. And I admit that I hate most of Trump's 34%.
But his essay makes it sound like the whole damn country is a bunch of Trumpers. It's not like anyone still alive invented the Electoral College. Were it not for that, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

He's in North Carolina so his perspective just might be what it sounds like. If I was as immersed in it as he is, I'd probably wonder. And we here probably should wonder if maybe we're a little more insulated than we thought.

Yeah it was the electoral college that got him elected but even around here, my impression is that a whole lot of non-voters now feel validated enough to show how vile they are.

Actually, being in that part of the country probably would make a difference. But I think that the notion that the country has changed is a bit of a fallacy. The racism was always there, hidden below the surface. Now it's more open and we can't kid ourselves anymore. I was naive, I have to admit.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm

gargantua wrote: But I think that the notion that the country has changed is a bit of a fallacy. The racism was always there, hidden below the surface. Now it's more open and we can't kid ourselves anymore. I was naive, I have to admit.

The country HAS changed. Before Trump they knew better than to be open about it. Now it's no big deal. That's a really big change.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Cadfael wrote:
gargantua wrote: But I think that the notion that the country has changed is a bit of a fallacy. The racism was always there, hidden below the surface. Now it's more open and we can't kid ourselves anymore. I was naive, I have to admit.

The country HAS changed. Before Trump they knew better than to be open about it. Now it's no big deal. That's a really big change.

I agree with the being open about it part being a change. But is it bad or good? It could be good if it forces us to confront the underlying problems and attitudes.
Do we want to know what people really think, or do we want them to tell us what we want to hear? Uncomfortable as it is, I think long term, the former is better than the latter.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

i think it was richard wright, the native son author amongst much else and other intellectual stardom, who said at one point that the overt racism in the deep south was preferable to the situation in places like chicago during the post-reconstruction era from 1877 to 1929 . . . of course it is the same case now and nelson mandela said something very similar with respect to dealing with the great crocodile p w botha versus f w de klerk. of course, there were people who gave wright so much shit that on a visit to paris he decided just to not come back . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 am

I agree that it's easier to deal with when it's right out there in the open but I believe that's the reason a lot of us keep it under tight wraps till we know we're around kindred spirits.

Yes, this could well lead to some confrontation and revelations but we seem to be thinking that once this cycle is over, there won't be any racism or misogyny any more. In my own humble opinion, the end result will be to drive those things back under the surface again.

The thing we need to confront is that it will never go away and we have to set up societal practices that recognize it's there and keep it minimized. Letting it brew and spout up again every few decades, then dealing with the wreckage afterwards, is counter productive.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Partial explanation, that should be obvious, as to why Trump keeps changing his mind on this - just as it applies to so many issues:
'Cause the harebrained SOB is fockin' nuts!
"Why Donald Trump changed his mind on the border wall (HINT: It has to do with Fox News):"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/politics ... index.html

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:04 pm

frankiewhalen

Postby frankiewhalen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 am

The ignorance of some can be dangerous to others:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... am-mission
Donald Trump's visit reveals location (and faces) of Navy Seal Team Five...

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 pm

frankiewhalen wrote:The ignorance of some can be dangerous to others:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... am-mission
Donald Trump's visit reveals location (and faces) of Navy Seal Team Five...

As Jim Wright points out, that's not Trump's fault. He certainly had an effect on it as CEO of the country but that incident shows complete disregard for directives by the entire line of command.
Pictures of Air Force and Army officers decked out in MAGA hats and waving Trump flags.

This is a violation of military regulation, specifically DoD Directive 1344.10 "Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces."

It's not just that Air Force captain waving the Trump flag, it's the full bird colonel not ten feet away -- along with a dozen other senior officers -- who are not correcting her. The officers photographed wearing or waving Trump paraphernalia have compromised their ability to command. Any subordinate who happens to hold differing political views would have to suspect prejudicial treatment in such a command environment -- which is specifically why this type of partisan behavior in uniform is strictly prohibited.

And that's the thing, isn't it?

That's the thing right there.

These officers know better, or should. And these aren't separate items, one, two, and three. No, they're all part of a set piece.

They say a fish rots from the head.

And that's what you're looking at here. Rot. From the top down. Poor leadership starting with the Commander-in-Chief and permeating the Officer corps and NCO ranks. Partisanship. Open bias in uniform. Slack discipline. A lack of professionalism.

No wonder they failed to maintain operational security.

This does not tell us that Trump is a clown. This tells us he's got the military in his pocket.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Trump is our own Roman Emperor Nero - he's unconditionally dedicated to destroying anything good that remains in the USA. Amazing how a crud like that can benefit from so many hard workers' misery, just as he always has.
This shutdown is TRUMP's doing, Trump's fault. Bad as they can be, too, in certain ways, I eagerly await the Dems' takeover of the House of Reps! Tomorrow can't come soon enough. There needs to be some kind of effective check on thus far uncontrolled whims and blunders of the evil, erratic buffoon in the White House.
Checks and balances, separation of powers, meaningful judicial oversight and IMPEACHING PENCE FIRST - we need more of these, the constitutionally prescribed remedies for such Trumpian political ailments as those we experience now.
"House Democrats plan vote to reopen the government — with no border wall money:"
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na- ... RjBJ-LI6pU

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Our country and our world needs more of this, especially from Republican elected officials.
"Exclusive: Congresswoman is first US Rep. to demand Trump’s resignation:"
https://dworkinreport.com/2018/12/24/ex ... signation/

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Time to compel Trump to live on NO INCOME, just like those federal workers he preposterously claims admire him and his cursed shutdown. Impeachment NOW, impeachment YESTERDAY, impeachment ASAP!
"He has already shown, repeatedly, that he will hurt the country in order to help himself. He will damage American interests around the world and damage vital parts of our constitutional system at home. The risks that he will cause much more harm are growing."
"The People vs. Donald J. Trump
He is demonstrably unfit for office. What are we waiting for?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/opin ... hment.html
Last edited by IU2Bmanoletters on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Trump Literally Did Not Understand What a Shutdown Would Do
Two devastating reports in the Washington Post over the weekend detail the horrifying scope of their ignorance. The administration did not realize that 38 million Americans lose their food stamps under a shutdown, nor did it know that thousands of tenants would face eviction without assistance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Administration officials “recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact,” reports the Post, and was “focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.” First Trump shut down the government, and then the Trump administration started looking into what effect this would have.

It’s likely the administration was lulled into complacency by a previous, abbreviated shutdown that took place in early 2018. This interruption in funding lasted only a few days and had barely any effect. Perhaps the administration assumed a longer shutdown would work the same way, but, you know, more of it.

Checks and balances my ass. These people, literally, don't know the first thing about running a country and yet they've been getting away with it for two fucking years.

Trump is not going to be removed through checks and balances. They won't leave till they've fucked everything up so bad they can't open the doors because of all the trash and then they'll climb out the windows in the middle of the night.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 pm

This isn't a problem that only affects The United States. If the President is incompetent and incapable of doing his job, he needs to be replaced. It doesn't matter if you're a Republican, Democrat or Independent. Donald Trump is simply incapable of fulfilling his duties. That's not an endorsement of Pence, but we need a sane individual in the White House and if the "next man up" is Pence, so be it.

I really wanted to see Trump on the ticket in 2020 because I think it would be good for Democrats across the board, but things are getting a bit weird. He needs to go. We owe it to the ENTIRE WORLD.

Return to “National Politics & Government”