Russian Propaganda vs. Domestic Propaganda

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Russian Propaganda vs. Domestic Propaganda

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'm reminded of this thread from 7 years ago, when it was obvious that this type of propaganda was already a problem-- right here:

Blaska caught in yet another lie

In Blaska's eyes, who are YOU to determine the legitimacy of his claims? Truth is subjective, right?

Blaska's goes so far as to express his FEAR of those who would decide the legitimacy of his claims....
Blaska wrote:That is why I fear those who would decide, unilaterally or, in the case of the one-party state, the regime, what is "truth" and what is "lies, corruption and propaganda."

It's quite the convenient way to not have to defend your statements.

Blaska wrote:Now, how about tackling the issue I posed? That being, who decides what is true or not? Blaska says trust the people to decide!

Because, to him, what is important is not the accuracy of one's statements, but the ability to convince the listener that the statement is fact.

Add to that the potential of essentially unlimited spending by special interests.

Now, in this scenario, there is no objective truth. Rather, the legitimacy of statements are to be subjectively determined by the listener. That determination may be influenced by the nearly unlimited marketing potential of a well-funded individual, group, corporation, etc. It's not a difficult stretch to the conclusion that the deepest pockets determine, or at least overwhelmingly contribute to the determination of, the truth.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 am

jman111 wrote:I'm reminded of this thread from 7 years ago

"scouring the board endlessly with excel or lotus open to save anything i think i can use years later"

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 am

penquin wrote:

"scouring the board endlessly with excel or lotus open"

or, more likely, using the search function.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am

DCB wrote:
penquin wrote:

"scouring the board endlessly with excel or lotus open"

or, more likely, using the search function.

Yep, pretty quick and easy search for a specific word if you remember it being used.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Cornelius Gotchberg wrote:... do youse really want to add Grammar Nazi to the mix?

Henry is so arrogant and condescending when it comes to grammar/spelling that he has been known to put a "sic" after peoples' names 'cause he beleives they shouldn't be spelling it as such.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm

penquin wrote:
Cornelius Gotchberg wrote:... do youse really want to add Grammar Nazi to the mix?

Henry is so arrogant and condescending when it comes to grammar/spelling that he has been known to put a "sic" after peoples' names 'cause he beleives they shouldn't be spelling it as such.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but...

Sic is the funny little word that lurks within brackets and stands beside spelling or grammar errors. It’s been doing so since the middle of the nineteenth century, and while it’s regularly seen today, people still wonder about its meaning and how to define it. It turns out there are a few ways to define sic, because there’s the Scottish sic and the English sic beside the Latin sic we see in brackets.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/sic/

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 pm

I’ve been doing some research on pre-WWII anti-Semitism for a little piece I’m doing about my family, the film industry and the movie theatre business in Sioux Falls, SD. The parallels of today’s hate groups, and I would include the Pennington County (SD) Republicans in that description, to the US in Hitler’s time are very interesting.

For those who haven't been following this year-long effort to turn the Republican Party into the Nazi Party, take a look at this piece done by a respected SD journalist.

How these anti-Muslim folks operate seem to follow much of what the anti-Semitic groups in the US were doing in the 1930s and early 1940s. Using churches as a cover, infiltrating and taking over legitimate social and political groups and trying to sideline those who disagree with them seem to be a way that extremists worked effectively in the United States to keep our country from taking in more Jewish refugees and from engaging sooner in the effort to defeat Hitler. That certainly is the way that Nazi agents in the United States worked, and they found support for much of their activity in this country.

The question I have is how much of the anti-Muslim hate has been and is being fomented by Russia, or by pro-autocratic, anti-democratic extremists here who are following Putin as if they were worshippers? We know Putin initially stoked and used anti-Muslim feeling in Russia to turn a democracy into an autocracy. Ethnic hate, of course, fueled much of the fascist rise in pre-WWII Europe.

The goal in all of this anti-Muslim yammering is to scare the gutless folks enough that they will accept a “strong leader,” oh, someone like “Putin-Trump,” for instance. The idea in the 1930s and 40s was to keep the US out of the war until Hitler had taken over Europe, and then to have the US so internally conflicted that they wouldn’t step up to meet Hitler’s challenge. They almost succeeded, but Japan jumped the gun.

We have a Putin sycophant in the White House, installed by Putin, so Putin is much farther along than Hitler was. I hope the good Republican people will fight like hell to get their party back from the haters.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm

penquin wrote:"scouring the board endlessly with excel or lotus open to save anything i think i can use years later"

And Henry's the condescending one?

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:24 am

Donald wrote:The question I have is how much of the anti-Muslim hate has been and is being fomented by Russia, or by pro-autocratic, anti-democratic extremists here who are following Putin as if they were worshippers? We know Putin initially stoked and used anti-Muslim feeling in Russia to turn a democracy into an autocracy. Ethnic hate, of course, fueled much of the fascist rise in pre-WWII Europe.

"Russia has stopped the genocide of Orthodox Christians, their main and quite noble objective. But, few are left in Syria. That bloodletting is moving to Armenia and Serbia, of course, then moving to Ukraine and Russia itself. This is the Great Schism still unfolding. Goes back to Pepin the Short at least."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-EgzOdJ5S8&feature=share

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 pm

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am

Beaver wrote:https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36512463_2017931098219476_4671128739466182656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=38fa65e20c8900eb1e048e9280c05740&oe=5BA9E50F

Presumably, this is intended to be an example of domestic propaganda.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 am

Russia's Putin accuses U.S. of raising risk of nuclear war
https://news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-sa ... 44475.html

Return to “National Politics & Government”