Predatory Lending

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gozer wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I remember a time when a certain pseudo libertarian on this forum tried to defend payday lending institutions. His libertarianism only goes so far, as he is a union member and does not abide by libertarian bashing of unions.

unions are not government --- said libertarian's position could be a lighter shade of the anarcho-syndicalist (e g wobbly) position . . .

On the other hand, so-called Right to Work laws are just meant to bust unions and are fully supported by libertarian philosophy.



probably more likely, yes . . . now which foron's philosophy are we discussing?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27274
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Hint: he holds extreme libertarian views on the Second Amendment.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10311
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:10 pm

So, with respect to Grothman, his views towards women and minorities are odious, but his opposition to predatory lending practices is commendable.
I'd never vote for the guy. But one thing I can say about him is that his positions stem from sincerely held beliefs, and he is open about them. Compare that to Trump or Scott Walker. At least the guy has core convictions he'll stick to.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

gargantua wrote:So, with respect to Grothman, his views towards women and minorities are odious, but his opposition to predatory lending practices is commendable.
I'd never vote for the guy. But one thing I can say about him is that his positions stem from sincerely held beliefs, and he is open about them. Compare that to Trump or Scott Walker. At least the guy has core convictions he'll stick to.


trump absolutely, but isn't there at least a simple pseudo-libertarian political programme behind what walker does? i guess i didn't think he had the common sense to properly interpret the results of putting his finger in the wind after wetting it . . . trump getting where he did speaks to at least a middling level of sophistication, not really the word that comes to mind when i think of walker . . .

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Walker always does what his big contributors want him to.

I asked the Republicans on this forum, on MANY occasions, to give even one counter example. I have been asking for several years. I've gotten ignored, I've gotten BS arguments that Walker just happens to believe in exactly what his contributors believe, but I have never once gotten even ONE example of Walker going against his big donors. Not one.

Walker's big donors are very anti-consumer, so Walker's policies are as well.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm

so the finger is not even going into the wind but his thumb is up his arse whilst greedy short-sighted entities get theirs . . . one could think he could accomplish that without working over the sick and poor, but maybe his maths skills are not that great . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10311
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 pm

gozer wrote:so the finger is not even going into the wind but his thumb is up his arse whilst greedy short-sighted entities get theirs . . . one could think he could accomplish that without working over the sick and poor, but maybe his maths skills are not that great . . .

Honestly, gozer, I just don't think he cares. He's a psychopath who is only concerned about Scott Walker. He'd step on your infant daughter's skull if it was between him and reelection. Look at his record and tell me why I'm wrong.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm

gargantua wrote:
gozer wrote:so the finger is not even going into the wind but his thumb is up his arse whilst greedy short-sighted entities get theirs . . . one could think he could accomplish that without working over the sick and poor, but maybe his maths skills are not that great . . .

Honestly, gozer, I just don't think he cares. He's a psychopath who is only concerned about Scott Walker. He'd step on your infant daughter's skull if it was between him and reelection. Look at his record and tell me why I'm wrong.


no, that's about the size of it . . . though i am still not decided on a theory as to how he has been re-elected three times in wisconsin, especially given how he ended his bid for president in the low per myriad level in the polls -- or maybe he was using that as a governor fundraiser, u know, sort of like the producers . . .

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5216
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am

If Grothman's opposition to predatory lending is sincere, he should call for Mulvaney to step down from CFPB, and demand that the CFPB go after firms like Golden Valley Lending.

What say you, Glenn?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Hint: he holds extreme libertarian views on the Second Amendment.


if it is the foron i am thinking u are referring to, it is the one foron with probably no core philosophy at all, just whatever will upset the most people the most (or a risible attempt at same, more often), anything heavy that can be used as a weapon, as they say -- certainly not a good general life philosophy either . . . and here i was thinking it could be a very delicate tweak on an uncommon, sophisticated ideology with a long, storied history . . . what the gun posts actually mean in aggregate are anybody's guess, and i really don't want to . . .

i got a kick out of the post bumping* a thread (because, u know, if u can't see something, it doesn't exist, man) to ostensibly lecture u about "netiquette"†, though . . . sort of like carving "stop vandalism!" into a wall . . .

---
* i really shouldn't have to remind people of this, but that is an abuse of network resources . . . maybe it's just the principle of the thing in these days of o c-1024 pipes and 5g and shit, but it also makes a mess of things; in summary, it's just vandalism . . .
† who came up with it anyways? mainly old richish white guys years ago -- not very democratic or progressive or inclusive or culturally sensitive, and certainly an impediment to cross-pollination of ideas, which, of course, is the point . . .

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Predatory Sockpuppets

Postby penquin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 am

Chances of gozer being jonnygothispen has now increased to 98.7%

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Predatory Lending

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 am

jonnygotthispen is a saint, of course he can bilocate . . . though not in this case, as i am sure u realise, because the reason u keep up with that gag is actually rather nefarious, isn't it?


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests