They admit Russia meddled

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: They admit Russia meddled

Postby Beaver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 pm

New report on Russian disinformation, prepared for the Senate, shows the operation’s scale and sweep
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... a2765df3cb

"The first report — by Oxford University’s Computational Propaganda Project and Graphika, a network analysis firm — offers new details of how Russians working at the Internet Research Agency, which U.S. officials have charged with criminal offenses for interfering in the 2016 campaign, sliced Americans into key interest groups for targeted messaging. These efforts shifted over time, peaking at key political moments, such as presidential debates or party conventions, the report found...

“What is clear is that all of the messaging clearly sought to benefit the Republican Party — and specifically Donald Trump,” the report says. “Trump is mentioned most in campaigns targeting conservatives and right-wing voters, where the messaging encouraged these groups to support his campaign. The main groups that could challenge Trump were then provided messaging that sought to confuse, distract and ultimately discourage members from voting...

The Russians aimed particular energy at activating conservatives on issues such as gun rights and immigration, while sapping the political clout of left-leaning African American voters by undermining their faith in elections and spreading misleading information about how to vote. Many other groups — Latinos, Muslims, Christians, gay men and women, liberals, Southerners, veterans — got at least some attention from Russians operating thousands of social media accounts.

The second report — prepared for the Senate Intelligence Committee by researchers for New Knowledge, Columbia University and Canfield Research — emphasized this aspect of the Russian operation, saying, “The IRA created an expansive cross-platform media mirage targeting the Black community, which shared and cross-promoted authentic Black media to create an immersive influence ecosystem.”

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 pm

An immersive influence ecosystem?

Well ya know it's reached pandemic proportions when the mirage-generated influence becomes an ecosystem unto itself.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 am

"Mr. President, we must not allow a weaponization gap!" -- Gen. Buck Turgidson

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 am

Yes, an arms race is bad for all humanity. But what about the topic at hand? Aren't you upset that Russia (with Trump's encouragement) interfered with the democratic process of the presidential election?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:43 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, an arms race is bad for all humanity. But what about the topic at hand? Aren't you upset that Russia (with Trump's encouragement) interfered with the democratic process of the presidential election?

I, for one, am angered. I am also inured, jaded, numb, and whatever else causes one to just sit back and watch the wreckage.

I also wish our analysts could speak english. I understand there is a need for specific social and anthropological terms in the sciences but even that begins to lose its meaning when you use phrases like "expansive cross-platform media mirage" and "immersive influence ecosystem."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Dibs on Immersive Influence Ecosystem as a band name.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: Aren't you upset that Russia (with Trump's encouragement) interfered with the democratic process of the presidential election?
The only thing that will break through your stupor will be the realization that there is no evidence of Russian State meddling of the election in these reports....just another diversion from the DNC's collusion against Sanders, and an excuse for Hillary's throwing of the election to Trump. The authors have backgrounds with NSA and military intelligence, and the reports are fodder to demand further censorship on social media. I share your disdain for assface, but your kind of fundamentalism belongs in the Catholic Reader, and could get the planet turned into glass.
Last edited by Polka_Tulk on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Polka_Tulk wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote: Aren't you upset that Russia (with Trump's encouragement) interfered with the democratic process of the presidential election?
The only thing that will break through your stupor will be the realization that there is no evidence of Russian State meddling of the election in these reports....

Channeling Donald Trump, I see.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Polka_Tulk wrote:
The only thing that will break through your stupor will be the realization that there is no evidence of Russian State meddling of the election in these reports....just another diversion from the DNC's collusion against Sanders, and an excuse for Hillary's throwing of the election to Trump. The authors have backgrounds with NSA and military intelligence, and the reports are fodder to demand further censorship on social media. I share your disdain for assface, but your kind of fundamentalism belongs in the Catholic Reader, and could get the planet turned into glass.
Where are you getting your information from? How about links?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Is it so difficult to grasp the concept that the DNC can collude against Sanders AND the Russians can fuck with our elections? For some of us, perhaps.

The idea that Hillary threw the election isn't all that difficult to accept now that I think about it. She regularly used tactics that even then seemed ungodly stupid for somebody who's supposed to be smart.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Sure, I can easily buy that concept. In fact, I believe it to be true, at least to the extent that the party structured its nomination process to give party insiders more power.

But I don't believe Hillary threw the election. She was just too damn overconfident. She thought that the presidency was owed to her. Remember, even Trump himself didn't actually expect to win.
Comey deserves some credit too. His bumbling took place at exactly the right time to derail Hillary's coronation.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
Polka_Tulk wrote:
Bump, to Polka King...

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 am

Bwis53 wrote:
Polka_Tulk wrote:

Don't click on the links. They're all Russian sites currently monitered by the CIA.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am

pjbogart wrote:
Bwis53 wrote: Where are you getting your information from? How about links?

Don't click on the links. They're all Russian sites currently monitered by the CIA.

Research the British gov involvement in the election, Christopher Steele, Integrity Initiative, and Simon Bracey-Lane. C.I.eh? Trump nominated Gina Haspel CIA Director, former CIA London Station Chief and supported by Brennon, who hates Trump, doesn't he?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:25 am

You make off-the-wall claims and then tell others to look it up. That's your job. Let's see some evidence that backs up your paranoia.

Return to “National Politics & Government”