Ironworker takes on Career Politician, Paul Ryan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ironworker takes on Career Politician, Paul Ryan

Postby fflambeau » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 am

Bryce's website (under the "Donate" section) has the following information which should help you, John Henry.

It says, "If you would like to mail a check, please send directly to the campaign:

Randy Bryce for Congress
PO Box 44404
Racine, Wisconsin 53404"

PS. I have nothing to do with Randy Bryce or his campaign other than that I support him and wish him well in the fight against Paul "I Am A Professional Politician" Ryan

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

fflambeau wrote:Bryce's website (under the "Donate" section) has the following information which should help you, John Henry.

It says, "If you would like to mail a check, please send directly to the campaign:

Randy Bryce for Congress
PO Box 44404
Racine, Wisconsin 53404"

PS. I have nothing to do with Randy Bryce or his campaign other than that I support him and wish him well in the fight against Paul "I Am A Professional Politician" Ryan

Interesting.

One of the main reasons I do NOT donate to campaigns is because of the way campaigns use their donors for data mining. Many of them sell off their donor list, with all the data attached, and the donor list can be worth a lot of money. For example, I read somewhere (have no idea where) that Bernie Sander's donor list data are worth millions of dollars.

Here is why I object to that.

Back in 2004, my wife (nominally a Republican, but I think she just keeps her GOP alliance just to annoy her liberal friends, then votes Dem to annoy her GOP friends) decided to donate about $25 to a door-to-door DNC volunteer. For some reason, my wife really liked John Kerry.

For many years afterwards, we kept getting phone calls (even after we changed our number!!!!) and letters from every left-wing cause imaginable. I think my wife's email is still flooded with email from every left-wing group under the sun. This is almost 13 years later, and the calls and snail mail have ALMOST stopped, but I don't think the emails have.

I have even had to explain to some people calling for the Democratic Party that my wife is a Republican. I've gotten some rather shocked responses.

Since that time, my wife and I haven't donated a penny to any campaign. Even when an old college buddy was running for US Senate (he won, didn't need my help).

If I ever donate money again, I might consider just mailing in a check. Trouble is, they have my address, and they will send me junk mail for many years to come. At least they won't have my phone number or my email address.

So, ff, I most sincerely thank you for providing this snail mail address.

And John Henry, this would probably be a better way to send $. You wont get on any email lists, at least.

As for Ryan being an odious toad, that is probably the best description of him I have read, with the possible exception of Michelle Malkin calling him a crap weasel.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 pm

The biggest reason I don't donate to political campaigns is that I am very poor.
The philosophical reason I don't donate to political campaigns is that I believe money should be taken out of the political process, so I'm not about to prop up a system I think is literally destroying our country. I also object to the selling of my data, as described above by Paleo.
The practical reason I don't donate to political campaigns is I've yet to see what good that money ever does anyway. Seems to me it funds bullshit -- mostly TV/radio ads which I think are part of what's wrong with the process here in the U.S., but also crap like buttons and bunting and balloons and all the trappings of political theater I despise.
If someone can show me what bang I'd get for my donated bucks, perhaps I'd reconsider.
On the rare occasions I have disposable income to dole out, I generally give it to the people fighting politicians.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 pm

fflambeau wrote:Bryce's website (under the "Donate" section) has the following information which should help you, John Henry.

Yes, I had seen that:

Unlike the other guy, he does have a campaign mailing address. Perhaps I will send a check for $5 and see who cashes it. If it's him, I'll send him some more.

To Penguin,

I was going by what I found last year when I tried to donate to the other Ryan opponent. Since I posted that, I visited the Act Blue website and find you may be right. Interesting organization. Anyone can use them for fundraising no matter the cause. I set up a fundraiser called "Hispanic John Henrys for Trump 2020" (There are 2 of us, maybe 3. Not sure about my grandson but he is 8 and easily swayed by grandpa)

Purpose is to compensate John Henrys for efforts through blog, forum and other media postings supporting President Trump.

Currently waiting to see if it goes through. If it does, I'll post a link and everyone here can donate to this worthy organization. (Not affiliated with any candidate)

I still don't see how Bryce can post a link on his campaign website, they forward money to him and somehow Act Blue is not authorized by him. If he didn't authorize it, how did it get on his site?

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:19 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:For example, I read somewhere (have no idea where) that Bernie Sander's donor list data are worth millions of dollars.

I don't know about Bernie's list specifically but some lists rent for $1 per name for a single use.

A well focused list might be 10-20 cents per name. A more general list, such as all occupants in a zip code will be less. I suspect that Bernie's list may be very valuable on a per name basis.

This is why so many stores try to get you to sign up for loyalty cards, hotels for frequent visitor, airlines and so on. The list is very valuable to them for marketing. If they sell it, some do, some don't, it is a whole 'nother revenue stream.

As for Ryan being an odious toad, that is probably the best description of him I have read, with the possible exception of Michelle Malkin calling him a crap weasel.

Thanks, Paleo. Feel free to use it. Crap weasel is pretty good too. I've heard it before not don't specifically recall hearing it about Ryan.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I still don't see how Bryce can post a link on his campaign website, they forward money to him and somehow Act Blue is not authorized by him. If he didn't authorize it, how did it get on his site?

I assume that this is because of the way federal campaign finance laws are written but it just seems bizarre to me.

John Henry

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:06 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:For example, I read somewhere (have no idea where) that Bernie Sander's donor list data are worth millions of dollars.

I don't know about Bernie's list specifically but some lists rent for $1 per name for a single use.

A well focused list might be 10-20 cents per name. A more general list, such as all occupants in a zip code will be less. I suspect that Bernie's list may be very valuable on a per name basis.

This is why so many stores try to get you to sign up for loyalty cards, hotels for frequent visitor, airlines and so on. The list is very valuable to them for marketing. If they sell it, some do, some don't, it is a whole 'nother revenue stream.

Thanks, Paleo. Feel free to use it. Crap weasel is pretty good too. I've heard it before not don't specifically recall hearing it about Ryan.

John Henry

It was not specifically about Ryan, but about certain career GOP politicians, of whom Ryan was a leader.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Paul Ryan is the Current Crap Weasel Record Holder:

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Nice article over at the Cap Times by John Nichols on Bryce (good on analysis but short on tactics) which includes:

"Bryce notes the fact of Ryan’s hyper partisan allegiance to a president with a 36 percent approval rating by observing, “Whether it’s health care or jobs, national security or education, our democracy or the environment — there’s not one issue where Paul Ryan and Donald Trump are headed in the right direction. It’s time for a change in Congress.”

Unfortunately, the article is short on specifics on how Bryce will achieve his uphill task.

Concrete suggestions:

1) make single payer healthcare a primary issue (and spotlight how Ryan is attempting to cut medical care coverage);
2) like Bernie Sanders, utilize mostly small contributions raised online; sadly, as Jesse Unruh once said, "Money is the mother's milk of politics"; Ryan will raise lots of $$$; television ads cost money and your opponent will have lots of it to spend;
3) appeal to the young (as Corbyn did in the U.K.) with a pledge for tuition free college education. Go to lots of rallies on college campuses; high schools too. Climate change and cuts to education/the arts are other issues that resonate with young people; some rock concerts will also help. You will need an army of volunteers to help your cause and to offset the advertising advantage your opponent will have;
4) don't make the mistake of just complaining about your opponent. That's a tactic that failed with a much better known candidate (Russ Feingold) who used it against the incumbent in 2016; it didn't work. Instead, come up with constructive alternatives that people can support. Talk up a positive, appealing program that shows people that they will win by supporting you on pocketbook issues. An expansion of social security/veteran benefits might be a good starting point too;
5) ring lots of doorbells and visit lots of factories/shift changes where the workers are going on the job. Driving through the district in a battered old van (like Paul Wellstone did in Minnesota years ago) might also help; in fact, here's a free publication on Wellstone's campaigning techniques: http://www.wellstone.org/sites/default/ ... Way-1.pdf;
6) don't get cocky. You are a big underdog. Don't believe that "it's going to be a Democratic year" will put you in office.
7) hammer away at Ryan as a (1) professional politician; (2): opportunist with no inner core of beliefs.
8) fight a clean campaign.
9) Your website needs work. Use all the new means of social outreach (like Twitter and Facebook) to get by the "gatekeepers". But also schedule some visits/interviews at rural radio stations/local newspapers. Visit local festivals and fairs: press the flesh.
10) Listen to people and their problems.
11) Make a bold promise or two and keep it/them: "If elected, I will not serve more than 4 terms in office because I don't believe professional politicians have been good for this country"; "I will not run for higher office or the House Speakership"; "If elected, I will not serve beyond the age of 65"; "If elected, I will tithe my congressional salary and set it aside for people in my district who need it like the homeless or to food banks (or a charity of your choice).
12) You work in construction. Use that to your advantage. Do like Jimmy Carter has done and work with some charities at constructing housing for the needy. Or build some centers for vets, for old people.
13) Show people that you will be a different kind of Democrat and not just a politician.
14) Hit the issue of people not having enough food in America hard: it's a win/win issue for farmers and the poor.
15) Spend time in rural areas and urban ones. Talk with people. What are their worries, their problems? Tell them you are not a "know it all" but will listen to them, and will do your best to help them. Keep an index system of all people you meet and recontact them.
16) Don't neglect the elderly. They tend to vote Republican. Go to community centers, rest homes, hospitals, churches etc. Show them how your policies will help them and Ryan's will not.
17) Run to win. "Close but no cigar" doesn't help anyone.

It's going to be an difficult, uphill battle, and Bryce really needs to get to work.

http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/colu ... edb33.html

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:47 am

Bernie Sanders Is Now Backing Randy Bryce — Which Could Be Very Bad News for Paul Ryan

“We’ve got to protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid from people like Paul Ryan,” Sanders said in a statement announcing the endorsement. “I think Randy Bryce has an agenda that is going to make sense to working families. We need Randy in Congress.”

“What Bernie sees in Randy Bryce is a working-class progressive that draws a perfect contrast to ‘Wall Street’ Paul [Ryan],” Dinkin says. “Randy wants to guarantee healthcare for all, to rebuild America’s roads and bridges and to make the billionaires pay for it. Paul Ryan wants to give billionaires a massive tax cut and make the middle class pay. This endorsement, coming from America’s most popular political leader, is a huge deal and proves that this is a top tier race.”

“We have enough lawyers in Congress,” says Bryce “There aren’t a lot of garbage men, ironworkers, building tradespeople. We need more people that actually know what it’s like to struggle so that we have a government that’s receptive to our needs.”

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Translation: they don't want a Ryan challenger.

State GOP: 'No place in the Republican Party' for Wisconsin congressional candidate banned by Twitter
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 27c98.html

"Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said of Nehlen on Tuesday that “it looks to me like he’s a racist bigot.” “I don’t want him as part of my party,” Vos said."

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm

This particular guy got 15% of the vote last time around, and that was before people knew what sort of person he is.

Yes, there is some truth to them not wanting an opponent for Ryan, but this guy really is an embarrassment to the GOP. Speaking in plain English rather than Dog Whistle.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 pm

His comments sound like something Trump would say. Seems like the type person they would like. But he isn't filthy rich so I guess that is the difference.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Shorty wrote:Translation: they don't want a Ryan challenger.

State GOP: 'No place in the Republican Party' for Wisconsin congressional candidate banned by Twitter
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 27c98.html

"Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said of Nehlen on Tuesday that “it looks to me like he’s a racist bigot.” “I don’t want him as part of my party,” Vos said."

This story you've posted is about Paul Nehlen, racist jerk. The thread in which you're posting this comment is about Randy Bryce, ironworker. Just to clarify.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Understood. So Bryce was arrested nine times? What for?

Randy Bryce's brother in ad supporting GOP opponent Steil
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /796717672

"Randy Bryce has been arrested nine times."

Wisconsin congressional candidate's mother wants ad pulled
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /797189230

"The mother of Wisconsin congressional candidate Randy Bryce doesn't like to see her sons fight. Nancy Bryce is calling for an attack ad featuring Randy's brother James to be taken off the air...Nancy Bryce says, "My family deserves better than this.""

Return to “National Politics & Government”