Ironworker takes on Career Politician, Paul Ryan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ironworker takes on Career Politician, Paul Ryan

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Apparently, since her family includes a prick like James, it really doesn't deserve better.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:08 am

I really can’t understand running attack ads against one’s brother.

Back in the 1990s the brother of my aunt’s husband ran for mayor of a fairly large city. He eventually came in second. He was a right winger who ran a really dirty campaign, but his entire extended family supported him anyway. One of my cousins described having to hold his nose as he voted for the fellow.

I guess the point of the attack ad is to show the Bryce family as completely disfunctional, so that casts a bad light on the whole family.

Many families have the one black sheep of the family. For the Carters it was Billy. For the Clintons it was Roger. For the Trumps it was Donald...

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

Chauffeur beats the iron worker. What a shame.

Bryan Steil R 177,490 55%
Randy Bryce D 137,507 42%
Ken Yorgan I 10,006 3%
Total 325,003

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 am

Shorty wrote:Chauffeur beats the iron worker. What a shame.

Bryan Steil R 177,490 55%
Randy Bryce D 137,507 42%
Ken Yorgan I 10,006 3%
Total 325,003

indeed it was. . . . i was really rooting for ironstache; exactly the kind of individual needed in public office . . .

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:25 pm

It's a bummer that Bryce lost this election, but I don't think he is gonna be out of the political arena for very long. Either on a ballot or working behind the scenes, am pretty sure that Ironstache will keep on keeping on.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 pm

The first and second districts have been gerrymandered so that it is almost impossible for a Democrat to win the first or a Republican to win the second.
The fact Bryce came so close in that disctrict is impressive

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Paleo2 wrote:The first and second districts have been gerrymandered so that it is almost impossible for a Democrat to win the first or a Republican to win the second.

I didn't think it was very close at all. How do you define close? I don't remember the numbers offhand, but I do remember wondering why he even bothered to run when I saw the results. I assume the drunken driving, opposition from his own brother, and failure to pay child support didn't help.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 am

gargantua wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:The first and second districts have been gerrymandered so that it is almost impossible for a Democrat to win the first or a Republican to win the second.

I didn't think it was very close at all. How do you define close? I don't remember the numbers offhand, but I do remember wondering why he even bothered to run when I saw the results. I assume the drunken driving, opposition from his own brother, and failure to pay child support didn't help.

13 points would be a landslide in a competitive non-gerrymandered district. In the first district, getting over 40% is making it closer than usual.

I said in the past that Democrats were fooling themselves if they thought there was any realistic chance of winning the district, or of winning in the Texas Senate race.

You are right that Bryce had some serious baggage. Not to mention complete lack of experience, having lost everything he has ever run for. A state senator with less baggage and the same amount of charisma would’ve made it even closer, but would still have lost.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Paul Ryan bids farewell
https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2018/ ... tml#item-6

"If you are not a glutton for punishment, and do not wish to be subjected to 29-plus minutes of politician-speak, then here is a (blunt) one-word summary: "delusional."

Ryan spent much of his time bragging about how much he has accomplished as Speaker. In addition to specific mentions of tax cuts, military funding, and the bustling economy, he declared: "This House is the most productive we have had in at least a generation. To date, we have passed 1,175 bills, more than half of them with bipartisan support." The notion that the current House is the most productive in a generation (or more) is about as accurate as the notion that Donald Trump has achieved more than any president in history. In fact, the 116th Congress will go down as a case study in legislative dysfunction, right alongside the 80th Congress (the "do-nothing Congress" of 1947-49) and the 36th Congress (the one that helped make the rift between North and South vastly worse, from 1859-61). That Ryan has to use misleading statistics to bolster his claim makes clear his dishonesty. Most of those 1,175 bills never became law, of course, and most of the ones that did become law did things like rename post offices in honor of Merle Haggard.

Maybe this can be forgiven, on some level, since Ryan is naturally going to put as positive a spin as he can on things as he walks out the door. However, he also had the temerity to move on to a lecture about how divisive and partisan the House has become. "[T]oo often," he said, "genuine disagreement quickly gives way to intense distrust. We spend far more time trying to convict one another than we do developing our own convictions." This is coming from a man who had the power to stop any of two dozen sham investigations into Benghazi, Hillary Clinton's e-mails, text messages between two adulterous FBI agents, the Steele dossier, James Comey, etc., and never once lifted a finger to do so. A man who was in a unique position, given his high profile and imminent retirement, to stand up to Donald Trump's worst behaviors, and chose instead to hide in the shadows. And yet he had the gall to lecture others about partisanship and ill-will. In other news, the fox has finished his dinner and is lamenting the fact that the hen house doesn't have better locks."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:19 pm

"And yet he had the gall to lecture others about partisanship and ill-will. In other news, the fox has finished his dinner and is lamenting the fact that the hen house doesn't have better locks."

whereas in wisconsin, the state legislators are licking their chops preparing for more, and to some extent another kind of, trouble . . . a lot of them have been so vicious and destructive that it was like a rabid fox on angel dust eating a chicken through a chain-link fence just for hell of it . . .

Return to “National Politics & Government”