HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for the reminder, Bobby. Hard to believe this all happened in the past month:

Ned Flounders wrote:My prediction - he apologizes, he pleads guilty in exchange for a slap on the wrist, his new GOP colleagues look sorrowful and say "yeah, he made a mistake and we don't approve of violence but he's apologized so it's all good" and he takes his seat in the House.

(1) Apology: check (Gianforte apologizes for body slam incident)

(2) Guilty plea and slap on wrist: check (Gianforte Pleads Guilty, Won't Serve Jail Time In Assault On Journalist)

(3) Republicans shrug it off as "mistakes were made": check (The Muted Republican Reaction to Greg Gianforte’s Assault Charge)

(4) Republicans allow him to join their caucus and take his seat in Congress: check (Gianforte sworn in to House days after pleading guilty to assault)

Paul Ryan congratulates and compliments Gianforte as he joins the House:

“Congratulations, you are now a member of the 115th Congress,” House Speaker Paul Ryan said, as the members applauded.

House majority leader Kevin McCarthy, of California, then rose to welcome the to newest member of Congress, who called a “family man” and a “businessman”.

“Now, Montana may only send one member to this body,” McCarthy said, “but out west, it’s not about how many you are, it’s about how much you do. Greg is a doer. And we’re happy to have him here.”

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm

BobbyB wrote:
Roy wrote:
BobbyB wrote:Okay, seeing as he was sworn in today, I ask again, why would you ever think this was true?

I can only sat color me surprised.

That's not what I asked. Why are you surprised? To what set of morals or sense of propriety are you appealing to make you think congressional Republicans would not accept Greg Gianforte among their numbers?

My mistake. I need to heed my own advice:

BobbyB wrote:
Direct question + Roy =

Roy wrote:

But good luck.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 pm

That's his MO.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:20 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am

This Gianforte thing really crystallizes how the GOP has gone insane.

Remember how Roy was convinced that (a) Gianforte's assault on a reporter might cause him to lose, and (b) even if he won, the Party would refuse to seat him?

Roy wrote:Even if he still wins, I doubt the Republicans will seat him.

Of course he won, and of course the GOP happily seated him. And now Trump's thuggish followers are cheering madly over this:

Trump praises U.S. congressman from Montana who body-slammed reporter

Trump jokes about congressman assaulting reporter: 'Any guy who can do a body slam ... he's my guy'

How much lower can the Party of Trump sink?

I guess at least Gianforte didn't kill and dismember the reporter, though it appears that Trump and his followers would have been OK with that, too:

Conservatives mount a whisper campaign smearing Khashoggi in defense of Trump

Hard-line Republicans and conservative commentators are mounting a whispering campaign against Jamal Khashoggi that is designed to protect President Trump from criticism of his handling of the dissident journalist’s alleged murder by operatives of Saudi Arabia — and support Trump’s continued aversion to a forceful response to the oil-rich desert kingdom. [...]

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Weather Bob wrote:How much lower can the Party of Trump sink?

I guess at least Gianforte didn't kill and dismember the reporter, though it appears that Trump and his followers would have been OK with that, too:

Conservatives mount a whisper campaign smearing Khashoggi in defense of Trump

No, Pat Robertson explained it for us:
“You’ve got one journalist — who knows? Was it an interrogation? Was he assassinated? Were there rogue elements? Who did it?...You’ve got $100 billion worth of arms sales...we cannot alienate our biggest player in the Middle East.”

Gianforte was a loyal minion but he didn't have a hundred billion dollars. If he'd have dismembered somebody they would have had to wait another term or two to seat him.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Journalist Stress Positioning 101.
Khashoggi was a journalist.
He was writing about Yemen.
He got disappeared.
I'm a journalist.
I'm writing about Iran.
I better not.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:31 pm

The Saudi government has responded to negative publicity the Khashoggi murder has generated by arresting the people they sent to kill him.
Saudi Arabia's top prosector announced at a press conference he will seek the death penalty for five suspects charged with orchestrating the murder of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi. The prosecutor stated the killing was a spontaneous action and not premeditated.

Aha. Not premeditated. Well then. Nothing to see here, we might as well move on.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 am

robertson and the wahabists what a nice fit

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 am

Cadfael wrote:The Saudi government has responded to negative publicity the Khashoggi murder has generated by arresting the people they sent to kill him.
Saudi Arabia's top prosector announced at a press conference he will seek the death penalty for five suspects charged with orchestrating the murder of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi. The prosecutor stated the killing was a spontaneous action and not premeditated.

Aha. Not premeditated. Well then. Nothing to see here, we might as well move on.

how do five people strangle someone . . . it reminds me of that case in philadelphia in which with questionable enough evidence to begin with, nine or more people are arrested and put on trial for killing one person with one bullet -- some kind of quantum mechanics-driven glock transubstantiation?

Return to “National Politics & Government”