HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Cadfael wrote:That was your takeaway on that little back and forth? Byrd and the KKK?

You're not the least bit offended that Ned accused Kennedy of murdering someone? You're not curious about the other slander?

Wow, what a middle of the roader you are.

"Slander"

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Shorty the quote you posted had Byrd advising young people to avoid the KKK for political reasons. Don't you think there are better reasons to avoid the KKK?

Just saying, bad choice of quote if your intent is to defend Byrd.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Cadfael wrote:That was your takeaway on that little back and forth? Byrd and the KKK?

You're not the least bit offended that Ned accused Kennedy of murdering someone? You're not curious about the other slander?

Wow, what a middle of the roader you are.

Believe it or not I'm pretty sure other forons will take care of that.

Apparently you are likewise incurious about the Byrd quote...ok then.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm

O.J. wrote:Ned's Jesus doesn't believe in forgiveness.

Ned's Jesus is a Republican and only forgives those in the GOP.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:Ned's Jesus doesn't believe in forgiveness.

Ned's Jesus is a Republican and only forgives those in the GOP.

I'd guess that 'ol Teddie's a bit "warm" at this point. :twisted:

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm

bdog wrote:Shorty the quote you posted had Byrd advising young people to avoid the KKK for political reasons. Don't you think there are better reasons to avoid the KKK?

Bdog I already replied to that. Did you see his other quote I posted? He was in the kkk 70 yrs ago. Are you still fighting Germany and Japan? World was quite different 70 yrs ago.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Shorty wrote:
bdog wrote:Shorty the quote you posted had Byrd advising young people to avoid the KKK for political reasons. Don't you think there are better reasons to avoid the KKK?

Bdog I already replied to that. Did you see his other quote I posted? He was in the kkk 70 yrs ago. Are you still fighting Germany and Japan? World was quite different 70 yrs ago.

Yes that would have been a better quote to go with off the bat.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Montana election victory is also a warning for Republicans
Montanans opted for Greg Gianforte by only 6 percentage points in a statewide House election Thursday. Half a year ago, Donald Trump carried the state by 20 points. New worries about health-care policy are one reason for the difference.

But even if the Democrats lose in Georgia too, the Republicans aren’t out of the woods.

“There’s no question that the House is in play” in the midterms, says GOP strategist Ford O’Connell. And if Democrats win control of the House, “the Trump experiment is essentially over.”

Because unlike Democrats, Republicans can't get anything done even if they control both houses and the White House so if they lose one they're like completely screwed. All they'll be able to do is blame it on a Democrat and post a gif.

Oh, wait.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Cadfael wrote:Montana election victory is also a warning for Republicans
Montanans opted for Greg Gianforte by only 6 percentage points in a statewide House election Thursday. Half a year ago, Donald Trump carried the state by 20 points. New worries about health-care policy are one reason for the difference.

But even if the Democrats lose in Georgia too, the Republicans aren’t out of the woods.

“There’s no question that the House is in play” in the midterms, says GOP strategist Ford O’Connell. And if Democrats win control of the House, “the Trump experiment is essentially over.”

Because unlike Democrats, Republicans can't get anything done even if they control both houses and the White House so if they lose one they're like completely screwed. All they'll be able to do is blame it on a Democrat and post a gif.

Oh, wait.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri May 26, 2017 7:18 pm

From further down the Washington Post article I linked to above:

The Montana NBC Affiliate reportedly refused to cover the Gianforte story at all on Wednesday night, a shocking blackout... “KECI news director Julie Weindel was called by NBC News to see if KECI would cover the story or had any footage of the Gianforte incident that NBC News and its affiliates could use. … She was unyielding in her refusal to share any footage she may have had access to, or run a report on the story. … Weindel said that they weren’t covering the story, though it was running in outlets across the country at the time, explaining, ‘The person that tweeted [Jacobs] and was allegedly body slammed is a reporter for a politically biased publication.’ Weindel then added, ‘You are on your own for this.’ … The station was acquired, last month, by the conservative media conglomerate Sinclair Broadcasting.”

-- Here’s why that’s a big deal: Sinclair Broadcasting just struck a deal with Tribune Media to buy dozens of local TV stations. “Already, Sinclair is the largest owner of local TV stations in the nation. If the $3.9 billion deal gets regulatory approval, Sinclair would have 7 of every 10 Americans in its potential audience,” Margaret Sullivan explained in a column last weekend...

“When Sinclair bought Washington’s WJLA-TV in 2014, the new owners quickly moved the station to the right … It added conservative commentary pieces from a Sinclair executive, Mark Hyman, and public affairs programming with conservative hosts... And Sinclair regularly sends ‘must-run’ segments to its stations across the country. One example: an opinion piece by a Sinclair executive that echoed President Trump’s slam at the national news media and what he calls the ‘fake news’ they produce…

“During the presidential campaign, Trump’s message came through loud and clear on Sinclair’s stations, many of which are in small or medium-sized markets in battleground states such as Wisconsin [WMSN Fox 47 here in Madison, for example], Ohio and Pennsylvania. Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, even bragged, according to Politico, that the campaign cut a deal with the media conglomerate for uninterrupted coverage of some Trump appearances. Is there a link between such content — and the expectation of more — and the loosening of federal rules [limiting station ownership]?”

Scary stuff. The Revolution won't be televised, and half of the next election won't be televised either.

By the way, I saw a graphic that claims that outside spending in support of Gianforte and against Quist ran $5.6 million to $653,000 for Quist and against Gianforte. And 8 to 1 spending advantage and Gianforte still only won by 6% in a deeply red state. Of course next time money won't matter because they'll own most of the TV stations.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote: Of course next time money won't matter because they'll own most of the TV stations.

Unless we blow their TV stations up:)

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 pm

david cohen wrote:
Zoti Bemba wrote: Of course next time money won't matter because they'll own most of the TV stations.

Unless we blow their TV stations up:)

Oh you violent lefty you! It won't do any good anyway -- they'll just corner the market for carrier pigeons :(

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 pm

BobbyB wrote:
Roy wrote:Even if he still wins, I doubt the Republicans will seat him.

Honestly now, what would ever make you think this is true?

Okay, seeing as he was sworn in today, I ask again, why would you ever think this was true?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 pm

BobbyB wrote:Okay, seeing as he was sworn in today, I ask again, why would you ever think this was true?

I can only sat color me surprised.

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:49 am

Roy wrote:
BobbyB wrote:Okay, seeing as he was sworn in today, I ask again, why would you ever think this was true?

I can only sat color me surprised.

That's not what I asked. Why are you surprised? To what set of morals or sense of propriety are you appealing to make you think congressional Republicans would not accept Greg Gianforte among their numbers?

Return to “National Politics & Government”