HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Postby jman111 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:37 am

Ned Flounders wrote:Is it normal for police to take statements and then allow someone to walk away, when there are eyewitnesses who saw him commit an assault like that?

Well, the sheriff is a campaign contributor/supporter.
Sheriff Brian Gootkin is a donor to the Republican’s campaign, “Sheriff Brian Gootkin, who, according to press accounts, has not interviewed Greg Gianforte following an alleged assault, was a donor to Gianforte’s campaign two months ago.”

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 am

Gianforte is spinning this on his web site as a tussle with a "liberal" reporter.

The witness to this was a Fox News reporter.

Gosh darn those liberal Fox News reporters!

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am

Reminds me of Prosser choking Bradley on WI supreme court. Prosser was re-elected twice after that, right?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am

Ned Flounders wrote:Being grabbed by the neck with both hands and flung to the ground sounds pretty bad, potentially life threatening given that, y'know, your spine kinda runs right through your neck.

Exactly...I wouldn't expect someone who received that kind of abuse to pop right up and declare they were body slammed. Maybe they would get out an "unh..."

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 11:00 am

I dunno, bdog; I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you questioning the eyewitness accounts of what happened? Unlike the Prosser case (sorry, Shortbeav) there doesn't seem like a lot of room for ambiguity or doubt here. Or maybe you're just marveling at Jacobs's ability to recover from that so quickly. If that's the case, I kind of agree, and am either impressed or unimpressed that one of the first things he mentions is his broken glasses. But I doubt that I would be able to say anything coherent at all if that happened to me. So good for him.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am

As I said before, the so-called "witness" was a Fox News reporter, and we all know their LIEberal bias.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 am

I know you're being all humorous and ironical and all, but in the interests of accuracy there were at least three Fox News employees who witnessed the event:

Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

I'm not sure whether any of Gianforte's campaign staff were also in the room. Other people were present just outside the door, e.g. in this quote from another reporter nearby:

Alexis Levinson, a reporter for BuzzFeed News who was present at the time, has confirmed much of Jacobs’s account. Although Levinson tweeted that she didn’t witness the entire incident, she described how it looked from behind “half a closed door.” From Levinson’s point of view, “Ben walked into a room where a local [TV] crew was set up for an interview with Gianforte. All of a sudden I heard a giant crash and saw Ben’s feet fly in the air as he hit the floor.”

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 pm

To the spin doctors:

1) a Montana sheriff interviewed all witnesses and listened to an audio recording of what happened. After doing so, he charged Gianforte with criminal assault;

2) in addition to the victim's statement, 3 members of a FOX news team witnessed what happened. They reported the body slam and also saw Gianforte repeatedly punch the reporter and break his glasses;

3) the reporter was taken to a hospital later by ambulance; he had complained in addition to the broken glasses of an injured elbow (consistent with the account of what happened). He was later seen leaving the hospital with his arm in a sling.

4) one can listen to the audio recording of the incident and hear for oneself the level of violence used.

Note that in addition to the criminal charge against Gianforte there exists a civil remedy for the victim. He can file a civil lawsuit for damages under the tort of assault and battery.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Has it gotten go bad that reporters need to wear armor to safely interview a republican?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Even if he still wins, I doubt the Republicans will seat him.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu May 25, 2017 11:05 pm

It looks like he is winning.
I hope you are right, but I wouldn't count on it. I think he will be seated unless convicted.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri May 26, 2017 4:41 am

PaleoLiberal wrote:It looks like he is winning.

I predicted up-thread that he would, in part because Montana is a very conservative state and in part because most of the votes had already been cast by mail.

I think he will be seated unless convicted.

Huh. I didn't even bother addressing the question of whether he'll be seated, because it's obvious that of course he will. This is the GOP we're talking about. He's a reliable vote for any bill that will screw the poor and enrich the rich! Does anything else matter?

My prediction - he apologizes, he pleads guilty in exchange for a slap on the wrist, his new GOP colleagues look sorrowful and say "yeah, he made a mistake and we don't approve of violence but he's apologized so it's all good" and he takes his seat in the House.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Fri May 26, 2017 5:00 am

"Don't mean this in a negative way, but I can see the police being extra reluctant to arrest a Congressional candidate the day before an election. One would probably tend to err on the side of caution there."

It turns out that the sheriff who charged the politician with a misdemeanor also had contributed $250 to his election campaign and was on a first-name basis with the guy. Check out the police reports.

But I think American politics is poison and that the entire public has irrevocably changed from the old days. After ths incident, Republican pollster and consultant Frank Luntz said: “I wonder how Republicans would’ve responded if it was a Democrat in question. I’ve been saying for months that there is a poison in American politics that will destroy everyone. I’m afraid it’s happening.” I would agree.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 am

Carry on.
Last edited by bdog on Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 am

Roy wrote:Even if he still wins, I doubt the Republicans will seat him.

Honestly now, what would ever make you think this is true?

Return to “National Politics & Government”