HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 pm

In Montana, GOP Congressional candidate Greg Gianforte just physically assaulted a reporter. The audio is ... incredible:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... bs-montana

Gallatin County sherriffs department is interviewing witnesses. The election is tomorrow.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: HOOOO.LLLLEEEE.SHIT.

Postby Shorty » Wed May 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Could help him win. May be a new Republican strategy. No video? Then easily denied. Just fake news.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Spicy would love it. He needs a mobile podium.

It's amazing to think that this is the caliber of people representing others in our country and making laws.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 pm

The "video link" above only features audio. Here is an account of what happened:

The Republican candidate for Montana’s congressional seat slammed a Guardian [London] reporter to the floor on the eve of the state’s special election, breaking his glasses and shouting, “Get the hell out of here.”

Ben Jacobs, a Guardian political reporter, was asking Greg Gianforte, a tech millionaire running for the seat vacated by Ryan Zinke, about the Republican healthcare plan when the candidate allegedly “body-slammed” the reporter.

“He took me to the ground,” Jacobs said by phone from the back of an ambulance. “This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in reporting on politics.”

Jacobs subsequently reported the incident to the police. The Gallatin County sheriff’s office is investigating the incident. ...

“Yes! You just broke my glasses,” Jacobs replied.
Ben Jacobs with his broken glasses being carted off in the ambulance.
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Ben Jacobs with his broken glasses being carted off in the ambulance. Photograph: Ben Jacobs for the Guardian

“The last guy did the same damn thing,” Gianforte said.

“You just body slammed me and broke my glasses,” Jacobs said.

“Get the hell out of here,” Gianforte yelled.

The altercation took place at Gianforte’s campaign headquarters in Bozeman, Montana. Gianforte was in a side room with a local television news crew when Jacobs attempted to ask his question, according to Jacobs.

This might be a good sign that the Republican candidate in Montana is not doing so well. Gianforte's opponent in the special election (today) is a Montana progressive, Rob Quist, who is new to politics.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... bs-montana

Here's a pic of Quist, the folksinging progressive:[img] https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thum ... qcBjlG.jpg [img]

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Huh. The New York Times article on Monday made him sound a lot less thin-skinned, like Donald Trump without the Twitter feed. And while insults and 3:00a Tweetstorms aren't good, they are light years better than physically attacking a reporter who annoys you.

What Scandal? In Montana Race, a Republican Is Following the Trump Playbook
https://nyti.ms/2qMJlow

Not that it will probably matter to the sort of Gianforte supporters quoted in the article. Though I've got to wonder if Gianforte is so 110% behind Trump why he wouldn't have just said he supports the AHCA as passed by the House, draconian cuts for the not so well-to-do, huge cuts of a different kind for any rich people who actually still pay taxes, and every other benefit slashing, donor rewarding, deficit reducing, buck passing part of it? The answer's right in the playbook.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't think Gianforte will suffer much ill effect from this. If any. The voters he's looking for kinda like this sort of thing. If any charges are filed it'll never go to court. He won't be censured or fined. He'll use it at rallies to pump up his crowd.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Wed May 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Maybe. On the other hand, the Trump voters would have voted for Gianforte anyway, wouldn't they?

To me, this makes it less likely that independents will vote for this kind of intimidation: body slamming a reporter.

But there's no question that the Trump campaign with its hatred towards groups like Mexicans and Muslims, towards federal judges who oppose him, towards the press in general, with its "lock her up" chants and with the violence that has surrounded and been approved of by Trump and the GOP, is wearing the fabric of our society very thin. I'm not sure as a nation this is the kind of actions that our founding fathers ever foresaw, or if they did, could provide a check on.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu May 25, 2017 4:57 am

Here's a picture showing a Trump family member backing Gianforte, who has now been charged with a criminal assault (against a reporter):

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 6:03 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:Huh. The New York Times article on Monday made him sound a lot less thin-skinned

The reporter was asking him about the CBO score of TrumpCare. Health care has been a big issue in the campaign, and a drag on Gianforte. He had been avoiding discussing it in public and then a recording was leaked of him praising TrumpCare in a telecon with lobbyists. Then the CBO issued its (devastating) score of TrumpCare v3 the day before the election. So I'm guessing that's why he was on edge.

My pessimistic take is that he'll probably still win -- not because this won't hurt him, but because two-thirds of the votes were already cast via mail-in ballots. In Montana, you can't show up at the polls and change your earlier vote.

In any case, this all muddies the waters for trying to discern any national trends from this vote.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 am

Maybe some foron legal eagle can explain something: some of the news stories say that Gianforte was "charged with" misdemeanor assault, while others say "cited for" misdemeanor assault.

Is there a difference? If so, what?

Also, I'm shocked but not surprised at the brazen language of Gianforte's "statement" after the assault. He must have known there were eyewitnesses and recordings, but he went ahead and posted a tissue of easily discredited lies about the incident. His description is totally disconnected from reality. It seems to be an accelerating trend among GOP candidates and officeholders. Bad news for America, if people stop acknowledging the existence of objective external reality.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am

What is a "body slam"? Apparently google searches are way up as people try to decipher this incident.

I first think of pro wrestling and that is the generally accepted definition.

But I doubt that is what happened here. The Fox news crew says the candidate punched the journalist. That seems much worse than a body slam. Yet the journalist can be heard saying "body slam"... Didn't say anything about being punched.

Why isn't the punch the headline?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

The Fox crew said that Gianforte not only slammed Jacobs, but also grabbed him by the neck and started punching him. The latter, for whatever reason, wasn't reported by Jacobs or the police.

GOP politicians clearly need safe zones from reporters.
#triggered
#snowflake

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 am

Yeah, I had some of the same questions (about what exactly is a "body slam"). Here's what the Fox News people said happened:

Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

Being grabbed by the neck with both hands and flung to the ground sounds pretty bad, potentially life threatening given that, y'know, your spine kinda runs right through your neck.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 am

Is it normal for police to take statements and then allow someone to walk away, when there are eyewitnesses who saw him commit an assault like that? Just curious ... I kind of assumed that if you did that you'd be arrested, rather than allowed to leave the scene. But what do I know, after nearly 20 years of theoretical adulthood the sum of my interactions with police is one speeding ticket.

Don't mean this in a negative way, but I can see the police being extra reluctant to arrest a Congressional candidate the day before an election. One would probably tend to err on the side of caution there.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

I believe this counts as another incidence of "leftist violence" committed by the violent left.
This is for the record.

Return to “National Politics & Government”