More fake news from FOX

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: More fake news from FOX

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 pm

FOX News reports that presidential spokesperson Sarah Sanders decries "calls for harassment" over immigration policies. They ignored it when Trump said "punch them in the face" during his campaign. I guess it's OK when bully Trump does it.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:FOX News reports that presidential spokesperson Sarah Sanders decries "calls for harassment" over immigration policies. They ignored it when Trump said "punch them in the face" during his campaign. I guess it's OK when bully Trump does it.

I am completely disgusted by the incivility being shown by the Trump haters.

But you are right. This did not just come out of nowhere.

It came from the Republicans spending the entire Clinton administration trying to find some excuse to bring down the president. It came from the ceaseless personal attacks on the first family. It came from the right wingers spreading all sorts of insane conspiracy theories about the Clinton’s murdering people.

It came from decades of right wing radio hosts spewing hate about “libtards” and “feminazis”.

It came from eight years of Bush polarizing the country. And in Wisconsin, the second most polarizing Republican politician our state has ever had.

It came from years of completely insane conspiracy theories about Obama being born in Kenya. How could any sane person think Stanley Ann Obama would make an expensive and dangerous journey 9 months pregnant to give birth in a third world country under the watchful eyes of her husband’s other wife?

It came from 8 years of the Republicans dividing the nation as much as possible, willing to let the country fall apart in order to increase their odds of winning elections.

It came from one of the most divisive and polarizing candidates in the post Civil War era.

I have criticized, and will continue to criticize, behavior on the left I find offensive, divisive or even criminal. And the way Mrs. Sanders and others have been treated was offensive.

But I must point out who lit the fire, and who has been fanning the flames for decades.

Karma can be a bitch.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am

Paleo2 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:FOX News reports that presidential spokesperson Sarah Sanders decries "calls for harassment" over immigration policies. They ignored it when Trump said "punch them in the face" during his campaign. I guess it's OK when bully Trump does it.

I am completely disgusted by the incivility being shown by the Trump haters.

I can' t imagine why. As you point out, the conservatives have been violating all norms of decency for decades. At the all levels of politics. Up to and including and even especially the President*.

Is there a 'civil' way to confront people who are committing crimes against humanity? Not really. Although by all accounts the restaurant where Sanders was shown the door were very polite about the whole thing.

Fuck civility.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am

On a visceral level, I don't feel the least bit interested in being civil to Trump supporters. Here's what gives me pause: Trump wants it. He wants his base riled up, feeling defensive, and motivated to show up and vote. Strategically, I think the best thing to do is not give Trump what he wants. Just wait a few months, and throw his enablers out of office at the ballot box.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

DCB wrote:Is there a 'civil' way to confront people who are committing crimes against humanity? Not really.

With that in mind, throwing 'em out of the restaurant seems like an under reaction. Given what you beleive these people are responsible for (ripping kids from every family crossing the border & throwing 'em into concentration camps) shouldn't they all be dragged from their homes & hung from the nearest light pole? After all, isn't that what folks who commit crimes against humanity deserve?

That aside, what's really interesting is that a local right-winger has been saying "bullshit!" to being civil for several years now (it's one of the taglines she uses on blog) for the same reason ya'll say so. ("they started it")

Wash/rinse/repeat

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:01 am

I believe the anti-Trump protests did a lot to get Trump elected. It made the protestors feel good, but the strategy was horrible.

One writer attended a Trump rally. He saw the Trump continually losing the crowd due to his boring rambling speaking style. Then a protestor would pop up, Trump would say something outrageous and the crowd would go wild. It happened over and over in that rally and every other rally.

I firmly believe that if Trump had been ignored he never would’ve been elected.

And as for the other side of the coin — some on the right believe abortion to be murder. Hey have already committed all sorts of crimes against clinics, up to and including assassination. Sorry to say this, but if the left feels justified harranging people whose policies they detest, what about the right who think Democratic politicians are literally encouraging murder?

I am old enough to remember a time when assassination and attempted assassination was all too common. JFK, Malcolm X, King, RFK, Wallace (attempted), Ford (attempted twice), Lennon, Reagan (attempted), John Paul II (attempted).

Not to mention terrorist acts, even in Madison.

I fear we are all to close to a return of those times. Some of the things leftists have done — protests at people’s homes, including banging on doors and windows; riots to prevent right wingers from speaking at colleges; harassment of government officials, etc. is as bad as many of the things the right wingers do.

No, the left have not done anything as bad as bombing abortion clinics or shooting doctors. I am not trying to make false equivalency. But many of the things that have been done by the left are far beyond the pale of how citizens in a democracy should behave.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Fox News CEO warns against inappropriate remarks

Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott reportedly warned network producers that they are responsible for addressing inappropriate on-air comments in the wake of recent controversial statements made on Fox programming.

Politico reported Wednesday that Scott met with producers of some of the channel's top shows to tell them to get a handle on their hosts and guests. She reportedly told the employees that they are in charge of protecting the Fox News brand.

Too bad fake news (otherwise known as telling lies) is an integral part of their brand.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Too bad fake news (otherwise known as telling lies) is an integral part of their brand.

Yeah. Spend a decade or two handing them talking points, hit lists, and propaganda. Reward the worst of them with boatloads of cash plush hush money for the sexual abuse.

Then stop and say Hey, we didn't mean for you to go THAT far!

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Fox News CEO warns against inappropriate remarks

Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott reportedly warned network producers that they are responsible for addressing inappropriate on-air comments in the wake of recent controversial statements made on Fox programming.

Politico reported Wednesday that Scott met with producers of some of the channel's top shows to tell them to get a handle on their hosts and guests. She reportedly told the employees that they are in charge of protecting the Fox News brand.

Too bad fake news (otherwise known as telling lies) is an integral part of their brand.
Last edited by Polka_Tulk on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:50 pm

penquin wrote:
DCB wrote:Is there a 'civil' way to confront people who are committing crimes against humanity? Not really.

With that in mind, throwing 'em out of the restaurant seems like an under reaction. Given what you beleive these people are responsible for (ripping kids from every family crossing the border & throwing 'em into concentration camps) shouldn't they all be dragged from their homes & hung from the nearest light pole? After all, isn't that what folks who commit crimes against humanity deserve?

Actually, I believe that any person accused of a crime, no matter how heinous, deserves a fair trial in a court of law.

While what's happening at the border is utterly despicable I don't believe it rises to the level of an actual crime, yet. And should the Trump administration eventually get called to account by an international court I doubt that a flunky like Sarah Huckabee Sanders would be among the defendants. I'm afraid a ruined evening and two comped cheese plates are all the human justice we'll be getting on this score.

Paleo2 wrote:I believe the anti-Trump protests did a lot to get Trump elected. It made the protestors feel good, but the strategy was horrible.

One writer attended a Trump rally. He saw the Trump continually losing the crowd due to his boring rambling speaking style. Then a protestor would pop up, Trump would say something outrageous and the crowd would go wild. It happened over and over in that rally and every other rally.

I firmly believe that if Trump had been ignored he never would’ve been elected.

So I suppose you missed all the reports of Trump directing his audiences' attention to the press area and inciting them to rail against the reporters who were more or less trapped there and just trying to do their jobs? It was apparently a regular piece of shtick on Trump's part. But perhaps you would like to victim-blame those reporters for being there?

And as for the other side of the coin — some on the right believe abortion to be murder. Hey have already committed all sorts of crimes against clinics, up to and including assassination. Sorry to say this, but if the left feels justified harranging people whose policies they detest, what about the right who think Democratic politicians are literally encouraging murder?...

I fear we are all to close to a return of those times. Some of the things leftists have done — protests at people’s homes, including banging on doors and windows; riots to prevent right wingers from speaking at colleges; harassment of government officials, etc. is as bad as many of the things the right wingers do.

No, the left have not done anything as bad as bombing abortion clinics or shooting doctors. I am not trying to make false equivalency. But many of the things that have been done by the left are far beyond the pale of how citizens in a democracy should behave.

You say you're not making a false equivalency here and yet it sure looks to me like you're making a false equivalency. Abortion is not murder; "Abortion is murder" is just a piece of inflammatory rhetoric built around a made up crime. When someone is stupid enough to commit an actual murder based on that rhetoric they are, rightly, charged with a crime, hauled into court, and (if found guilty) locked away for a long, long time.

A protest that gets physical to a point that it rises to assault? Charge 'em, haul 'em into court, throw the book at 'em (if found guilty). Same as for that Trump supporter who hit the black guy, same as for the Charlottesville demonstrators who were beating counter-demonstrators up. Or running them over (= manslaughter, to say the least)

Shouting? Oh, you mean like the people Trump incited at his rallies shouting and threatening the reporters? Give me a break! How about abortion clinic protesters? O.K. to harass a woman seeking health care but not a right wing snowflake speaker who thinks that he ought to get to decide what she's allowed to do with her own body? When right wing snowflake speakers start getting murdered in their kitchens or their offices then we can talk about equivalency.

There has always been a large gap between how people in a democracy should behave and how people in a democracy do behave. I suppose if they all behaved the way they should it wouldn't be much of a democracy.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

Different people think in different ways.

I am, I realize, an outlier. I have been trained as an empirical scientist. I use the scientific method, which often goes against people's belief sets or feelings or ideology.

It is quite simple.

Make some observations.
Put together a hypothesis to explain these observations
Make predictions based on these observations
Check with later observations to see if these predictions come true
Modify the hypothesis as necessary
Rinse and repeat.

So, my observations were that there were certain people who spent a great deal of effort to divide people.

My observations were that there are certain people who greatly benefit from a divided society. This includes the wealthy oligarchs who benefit from a divided workforce. This also includes certain politicians on various points on the ideological spectrum who use division to get elected. This includes leaders of organizations which benefit from divisions in society.

My observations were that Republicans, esp. of the far right variety, had worked out a formula for success that involved being highly divisive and using Gerrymandering and voter suppression to ensure they had a slim majority despite representing less than half the people.

My observations were that Trump was a master of self-promotion and media manipulation. He also appeared to be quite divisive,

My hypothesis was that Trump would benefit greatly from a mixture of divisiveness and media attention. The more the attention, and the greater the divisiveness, the more he would benefit.

My prediction was that the bad publicity from his divisiveness, combined with the added divisiveness of the anti-Trump movement, would make Trump the front-runner for the GOP nomination. My prediction was that unless the rest of the GOP went behind the same alternate candidate, Trump would be the favorite for the nomination.

My predictions were accurate.

When I saw BLM shut down a Bernie Sanders rally, followed by lots of demonstrations and even riots, I checked my observations of what happened in 1968, when civil unrest greatly enhanced the campaigns of Richard Nixon and George Wallace at the expense of Hubert Humphrey.

My prediction was that Sanders would lose the nomination to Clinton, and that Trump would benefit greatly from unrest and divisiveness.

My predictions about anti-Trump protests, which included some rallies being shut down by protesters, were that Trump would benefit greatly, and could possibly even win the election.

Again, my predictions were accurate.

My hypothesis is that the nastiness on the left, which is often very much provoked by greater nastiness on the right, would lead to even MORE nastiness on the right, and so on.

In an earlier post, I was warning that the nutty right, which has already killed abortion providers, would start to go after left-wing politicians. My feeling was that when Maxine Waters called upon people to disrupt the lives of Republican government officials, that meant right-wingers would see that as a call to disrupt the lives of Democratic government officials. Perhaps with violence, even possibly assassination.

Since I made that post, Maxine Waters has reported death threats against her.

Gee, what a surprise. /s

Like it or not, there are politicians who benefit from division. On the left, Maxine Waters is one of them. On the right, Donald Trump and almost the entire GOP as of 2018 benefit from divisiveness.

My predictions?

Well, realize my predictions are NOT based on what I want to happen, or what SHOULD happen, or what is or is not justified because the other side started it, etc. It is completely predictions based on what strategies and what tactics work, and for whom.

My predictions are simple.

A few more observatations.

The radical left, such as Antifa, have their "black blocks" and sticks and knives and homemade flamethrowers and fists and brass knuckles and what have you.

The radical right have armed militias.

There will be even more divisiveness.
There will be even more violence.
People will die. (this has already happened in Charlotte)

There will be political assassinations, or at least attempted assassinations. In fact, this has already happened, during a baseball practice.

i am saying MORE people will die.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 pm

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 pm

A link to a Fox News story in a thread titled "More fake news from FOX".
Atta boy, Ned! Way to stay on topic!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Trump hates the free press, so he refused to order American flags at government facilities to be flown at half-staff after the mass murders at the Annapolis paper (while he did have them lowered after recent school shooting). If it had happened at the offices of FOX News, he certainly would have ordered them lowered.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:54 pm

FOX News tried to compare Denmark to Venezuela. The rebuttal below should be of interest to Roy.

Return to “National Politics & Government”