Trump hits pothole over Wall: No Money

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Trump hits pothole over Wall: No Money

Postby Cadfael » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am

I completely missed this last year.
January 4, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Mass. Sheriff Offers To Have Inmates Help Build Border Wall
Nothing says "make our country great again" like slave labor.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Polka_Tulk wrote:
DCB wrote:I for one am shocked that anyone would question Obama's and Clinton's leftist credentials.

Black is White, War is Peace, Slavery is Freedom. That's how the game is played. You are going to wait a long time for the unicorn farting rainbows. You may now return to clapping until your hands bleed.

senator graham did a decent job of guest-hosting the two minutes' hate on thursday don't u think? doubleplusgood, in fact . . .

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:35 pm

I saw some people mocking the GoFundMe page for the Trump Wall, when it first launched and there were only a few hundred dollars in donations.

Now it's nearing $13 million, after just a few days. As a statement, I think that's pretty impressive. Obviously at some point it will start to slow down, but I wonder what the ceiling is. Could it hit $100 million?

Yeah, there are logistical problems with the FedGov accepting targeted donations like this (most donations have to go straight to the general fund). And yeah, even $100 million is only about 1% of what Trump was asking for earlier (the numbers bounced around a lot...)

But it's impressive just as a statement. I wonder if this is a harbinger of the future? Will we see both sides launching feel-good GoFundMe campaigns for high-visibility, highly-polarized issues, as a way of letting people feel like they're doing something for The Cause, whatever it is?

I also wonder whether that would have a pernicious effect of displacing money that would otherwise be donated to less political and perhaps more deeply important causes.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:15 am

Weather Bob wrote: Will we see both sides launching feel-good GoFundMe campaigns for high-visibility, highly-polarized issues, as a way of letting people feel like they're doing something for The Cause, whatever it is?

Yes.

https://www.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get ... p039s-wall

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 am

Boxer wears 'America 1st' wall shorts against Mexican fighter, gets soundly beaten
A Thursday night bout between American boxer Rod Salka and Mexican boxer Francisco Vargas caught the boxing world’s attention when Salka entered the ring wearing “America 1st” shorts with a wall pattern.

The clear anti-immigration and border-wall references backfired in a major way for Salka, as Vargas proceeded to dominate the fight in a sixth-round referee technical decision.

In related news, in following intervies, Salka has stated emphatically later interviews ‘I’m not bigoted or racist.’

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:09 am

Weather Bob wrote:I saw some people mocking the GoFundMe page for the Trump Wall, when it first launched and there were only a few hundred dollars in donations.

Now it's nearing $13 million, after just a few days. As a statement, I think that's pretty impressive. Obviously at some point it will start to slow down, but I wonder what the ceiling is. Could it hit $100 million?

There is a reason Trump has to shill the border wall, and it's what I've been saying all along. It's not Trump that's the problem. It's his supporters. They are scared, vicious and hateful people, cultivated by three decades of hate radio, direct mail and messages from the "Christian" right.

I got familiar with this when my mother, beginning a descent into dementia in 2004, kept receiving direct mail begging letters thanking her for her support for keeping America safe from "illegals." We found my mother had been sending $20 checks every two weeks for a couple years. My mother had never been a racist or scared of other people, but somehow these guys got her scared during her then declining ability to decipher real concerns from imaginary concerns. We got control over this and stopped the money flow to the haters.

Mostly these outfits are out to enrich themselves, and the issues they use are not that important. It's clear these outfits prey on people who suffer from dementia, but that doesn't explain how they shake down otherwise "normal" people. My own view is that there are a lot of people with personality disorders and defects who are easily pushed into hate and fear. These are the Trump supporters.

Do I think $13 million in two days is impressive? No. I think it's the result of a hate industry that has been active for three decades. I think it is sad and dangerous. I think the people who donate should be investigated, and the people collecting this money should be locked up. These people would donate to gas chambers.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 am

Well there's one thing nobody's talking about and that's all the jobs that are going to be created AFTER the wall is built. That's two thousand miles of wall that will have to be patrolled so those terrorists don't use illegal high tech means to thwart justice.

Like, ladders.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:20 am

Or the invention I'm working on. I call my prototype a "shovel". It is primarily used for digging a "hole", which can be expanded and lengthened to become a "tunnel". I bet I can make a fortune selling these things.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:43 am

Here's what we're fighting. This is not something that can be dealt with by education and reason. You can't reason someone out of an idea they didn't reason themselves into.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:36 pm

gargantua wrote:Or the invention I'm working on. I call my prototype a "shovel". It is primarily used for digging a "hole", which can be expanded and lengthened to become a "tunnel". I bet I can make a fortune selling these things.

That sounds Boring.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Shutting down the government because you didn't get your stupid toy seems like a petty thing to do.
But if I was in DC I would definitely be celebrating with one of these:

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 pm

A running list of problems caused by the longest-ever U.S. government shutdown
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/running- ... soc_trk=ma

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Could there be any better example of why Trump and his minions must be MASSIVELY opposed and removed from office by an indignant populace? Impeachment NOW, while there may (arguably) still be time. How's that for an entirely fanciful demand:)
"The Food and Drug Administration has stopped routine food safety inspections of seafood, fruits, vegetables and many other foods at high risk of contamination because of the federal government’s shutdown, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the agency’s commissioner, said on Wednesday:"
"Government Shutdown Curtails F.D.A. Food Inspections:"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/heal ... tions.html
"Soyez réalistes, demandez l'impossible!"

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 am

"he did die 3 times and survived with 19 months of recovery." Bizarre stuff.

Kathy Griffin and Kristy Swanson spar over Trump's border wall
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kat ... 09084.html

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

gargantua wrote:Or the invention I'm working on. I call my prototype a "shovel". It is primarily used for digging a "hole", which can be expanded and lengthened to become a "tunnel". I bet I can make a fortune selling these things.

haven't the recreational pharmaceutical magnates down that way long since changed to swarms of drones and the occasional hydrogen or propane cannon barrage to send their payloads several kilometres into the united states, just like chronic pain activists, cash-strapped families, and the montréal mafia have been doing with remote-controlled boats over various rivers, lake champlain, &c and using scaled up spud cannons for the better part of a quarter-century now? a wall stops that how? fox news did a valuable public service by showing where people could cross the border just by walking through backyards in some places in new york and new hampshire. i guess one can canoe their way in and out from the far reaches of the state of maine as well . . .

so go ahead chumps, build that wall . . . any one drug lord with the gross income approaches that of belgium each year probably already has hired professional tunnel-boring machines . . .

Return to “National Politics & Government”