The Suddenly $750 Pill

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Suddenly $750 Pill

Postby fflambeau » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:10 am

I wonder if the price of butt plugs has gone up?

I suspect that convict drug conman and swindler Shkreli is going to need one (or two or three) one the people in the Brooklyn jail found out who he is.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:24 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:36 am

Cancer Drug Price Rises 1400% With No Generic to Challenge It

For many years, lomustine was marketed under the brand name CeeNU by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., which charged about $50 a capsule for the highest dose, before selling the product in 2013.

Now, the same capsule costs about $768, after nine price increases by a little-known Miami startup, NextSource, which supplies lomustine in a deal with the drug’s new owner, manufacturer CordenPharma.

Price gouging, even though the patent has expired.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 am

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

“We are not going to lay down. We are going to go ahead and try and fix it.”

Postby penquin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Here is an interesting solution to this problem...sure hope it works out.
A coalition of U.S. hospitals has decided to take matters into its own hands in the face of ever-rising drug prices: The group is going to start its own drug company to compete with big pharma.

On Friday, several of the largest hospital systems in the country announced their plan to pool together their resources in order to create a not-for-profit company that will make and sell certain generic drugs back to hospitals at lower prices. It would also help stabilize the supply of these drugs, presumably preventing shortages that have been used in the past as an excuse for higher mark-ups. The company, which has no name yet, would seek to be approved by the FDA as a drug manufacturer and either produce the drugs itself or subcontract production to a reputable third-party business.

https://gizmodo.com/fed-up-hospitals-ar ... 1822249628

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Senate confirms former drug exec Alex Azar as Trump's health chief

The Senate confirmed the nomination of former drug company executive Alex Azar as head of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department on Wednesday.
The Senate voted 55-43 in favor of Azar's appointment.
Democratic senators during Azar's recent confirmation hearings highlighted the price increases of Lily's drugs while he was at the company, and given that history were skeptical of his claims to intend to fight rising drug costs as HHS chief.

Azar is the first person with a pharmaceutical industry background to lead the health agency.

A perfect example of the fox guarding the hen house.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 pm

'Pharma Bro' sentenced to 7 years in prison

The first pharmaceutical gangster to get time. Next the feds need to go after those who push the opioids that have led to the massive number of ODs throughout the land. Charge them with manslaughter.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:47 pm

gargantua wrote:Maybe his sentence will wipe that oily smirk off his face. I can only hope.

Request granted.

During his sentencing on Friday in Brooklyn federal court, Shkreli, 34, broke into tears and pleaded with the judge for leniency.

"I look back and I'm embarrassed and ashamed," he told the court. "I am terribly sorry," he said to his investors, "I lost your trust."

"There's no conspiracy to take down Martin Shkreli. I took down Martin Shkreli with my disgraceful and shameful actions."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/09/news/ma ... index.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm

I see that Trump is now demanding the death penalty for drug dealers in his response to the opioid epidemic. I assume we would exclude the executives of pharmaceutical companies that push their prescription versions.

So far only civil suits against those dealers.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm

The best we can expect here is the drug execs get the same penalty as the cigarette company execs did. That never amounted to much of anything as far as I can recall.

They had similar culpability for covering up the damage and deaths their products were causing while continuing to deny and push them.

Out legal system barely addresses this kind of crime, and that's by design. Low level drug pushers don't have lobbyists and teams of lawyers. Eric Garner selling loose cigarettes didn't either. Those are the people who pay.

Chances of this changing in our lifetime are close to zero.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:43 am

Different drug company, same shit:

After a pilot study on a blood cancer drug, researchers found
Taking just one pill a day could dramatically reduce costs to around $50,000 a year. And it could lessen unpleasant side-effects, such as diarrhea, muscle and bone pain, and tiredness

$50K is a lot, but much less than it used to. However
But just as doctors were gearing up for more trials on the lower dosages, the makers of the drug revealed plans that torpedoed the doctors’ efforts: they were tripling the price of the drug and changing pill dosages.

Of course.

frankiewhalen

Postby frankiewhalen » Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am

I recently reviewed the healthcare coverage for some older relatives. Luckily, they have super insurance from a most generous former employer. They have not taken Medicare part D, because they are pretty healthy; just some hypertension meds and a blood thinner.
So now one of the relatives has been diagnosed with a rare cancer. And the best treatment? $17,000/month. Insane.
And the complexity of the system makes it difficult to determine if they will be able to afford the medication for the months of treatment expected.
The facility where the relative is being treated has staff that are entirely dedicated to helping patients find ways to pay for the medications they need. So I guess these high cost meds are creating jobs!
And tough luck to those who have inadequate coverage, or medical facilities without the staff to find the resources.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 pm

frankiewhalen wrote:And tough luck to those who have inadequate coverage, or medical facilities without the staff to find the resources.

Some lives, it seems, matter more than others.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

A pharmaceutical company executive defended his company's recent 400% drug price increase, telling the Financial Times that his company had a "moral requirement to sell the product at the highest price."

They have no shame.

Return to “National Politics & Government”