The Suddenly $750 Pill

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Suddenly $750 Pill

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Full disclosure, if it is necessary:

Much of my daily bread over the past 40 years has been earned working in and with pharmaceutical manufacturing. Since 1985 and especially since the late 90s my primary focus has been on reducing costs by reducing waste. Anything that puts pressure on pharmaceutical prices will put money in my pocket.

More clients will contract me to show them how to reduce costs and/or increase throughput. I am already seeing this. Not just pharma but all industries. This is shaping up to be my best year ever. I am booked pretty solid through September and probably beyond.

I have a vested interest in breaking the status quo.

MAGA!

John Henry

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:01 pm

... and yet you pretend that one of the most heavily subsidized industries, and one of the most profitable, are being taken advantage of by government regulations. Seems rather disingenuous of you...

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:... and yet you pretend that one of the most heavily subsidized industries, and one of the most profitable, are being taken advantage of by government regulations. Seems rather disingenuous of you...

Have you read anything I have written here? I have consistently claimed just the opposite. They are taking advantage of the regulations, not the other way round. They are taking advantage of the regulations to keep competition out and to keep their prices high.

The industry doesn't really care what their costs are. Whatever costs, especially of regulation, are thrown at them, they just figure into their sales price. Jack their costs up by 10% with more regulation? They just jack their prices up 10%, or more.

The bigger the nut on which they make their profit the more money they make.

So how much profit do the pharma companies make, Jonny? Have you figured that out yet? Do you even care? Or are you just parroting a line that one of your betters told you?

How much do you think they should make? What do you, Jonny, think would be a fair profit margin? 10%? 15? 25?

Give us a number then tell us how far above or below specific companies are. Perhaps Pfizer, Amgen, J&J, Mylan or another of your choosing.

John Henry

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Approved in Europe decades ago, still not approved here.

Perhaps you could share the name here? I am curious why you would not be able to buy any homeopathic drug since they are nothing but solvent and the memory of a molecule.

John Henry

Still curious. I call bullshit on a homeopathic drug that can be sold in Europe but is prohibited here because of big pharma.

I think you are making shit up. Or maybe not. Anyone who would believe in the concept of homeopathic medicine, is likely to fall for anything.

Sounds like the magic gas additive that will get you 100 miles to the gallon but that the big oil companies are keeping off the market. I first heard that one back in the 50s. (I can make you a price on a case or two if you have a car)

Say, now that I think of it, you are a believer in global climate whatsit, aren't you?

John Henry

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:51 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Or are you just parroting a line that one of your betters told you?

Mr. Hispen admitted, in a different thread, that he is merely a messenger. He has also demonstrated that he will often repeat remarks/comments while having no idea what is meant by the words he is using.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

so if homeopathy really works, it would be a dream for nose-candy wholesalers; heck, one could dilute an antihistamine 300x and make e and crank . . .

on the other hand, things available outside the united states which do work but are not available in the united states could be due to several reasons, but the government is more guilty than anyone -- see how much research has actually been done on cannabis since 1937 and anything else the d e a and state flatfoots can get their filthy fingers into -- piritramide, ketobemidone, dextromoramide, phenadoxone, 3,6 di-esters of morphine, even some of the oldest semi-synthetics, structural analogues of c-jam . . .

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:04 am

Dunno about the wholesalers, but at the street level most of the nose-candy peddlers do tend to dilute their product...orsoIamtold

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:55 am

Liquid ragweed extract. When they called to ask about a different test 7-8 years later, I asked how that was doing. They frustratingly said it was tied up.

It's hard to make as much money on it as it's a process pharma isn't invested in yet, and they have all of their ineffective pills that are uber cheap to manufacture to sell yet. They'd be a hard sell if an actual cure was on the market.

You're making a good argument for cheap Canadian drugs, JFH. But you're also being disingenuous because you've made the argument that US drugs have to be expensive due to R&D costs.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:57 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:The industry doesn't really care what their costs are.

Anyone who works in the pharmaceutical industry knows that this is absolutely, undeniably bullshit.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:50 pm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59373 ... mg00000009

After receiving $43 million to develop a Zika vaccine, with another $130 million promised if initial tests prove successful, and having been granted exclusive rights to sell said vaccine, drug manufacturer Sanofi refuses to promise fair pricing...

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 am

Have heard it said that for 90% of all PhramaCompanies advertising is a much bigger part of their budget than R&D. How much would drug costs in the US drop if it wasn't legal for prescription drugs to be advertised/marketed to non-physicians?

If someone needs to have a note from another adult in order to get a product, then why should those companies be allowed to advertise directly to the public?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:22 am

penquin wrote:Have heard it said that for 90% of all PhramaCompanies advertising is a much bigger part of their budget than R&D. How much would drug costs in the US drop if it wasn't legal for prescription drugs to be advertised/marketed to non-physicians?

If someone needs to have a note from another adult in order to get a product, then why should those companies be allowed to advertise directly to the public?

I think the whole idea, as some of the ads suggest, is that a person will ask their doctor to prescribe it.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 am

That's akin to advertising beer in children's magazines, as long as it has the disclaimer "Be sure to ask your parents if it's ok first!"

If we're gonna insist on an adult needing a note from another adult in order to receive a product, then I'm gonna insist that advertising & marketing for that product be heavily curtailed/restricted. Seems like one naturally follows the other.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:02 am

penquin wrote:That's akin to advertising beer in children's magazines, as long as it has the disclaimer "Be sure to ask your parents if it's ok first!"

If we're gonna insist on an adult needing a note from another adult in order to receive a product, then I'm gonna insist that advertising & marketing for that product be heavily curtailed/restricted. Seems like one naturally follows the other.

I'm with you there. My feeling is that all drugs should be over the counter. Period. If adults can't be responsible, buyer beware.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 am

Mylan, mentioned previously for its price-gouging on the Epi-Pen, has found other ways to boost its profits:
Since 2011, Mylan has bought 99 percent stakes in five companies across the U.S. that own plants which process coal to reduce smog-causing emissions. It then sells the coal at a loss to power plants to generate the real benefit for the drug company: credits that allow Mylan to lower its own tax bill.

Sweet!
and for that authentic Dr. Evil touch:
The sketchy part which Reuters did not point out is that two out of Mylan’s five specialty brand-name drugs treat pulmonary problems that are exacerbated by air pollution, a lot of which comes from coal.

A drug company that's creating its own patients -brilliant!

Return to “National Politics & Government”