Corporate Welfare

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Corporate Welfare

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Cadfael wrote:It can be mitigated.

I'm not sure about that at all. The electoral processes in this country have been so rigged, that there is literally no longer a peaceful method to obtain this mitigation you speak of.
How? How, when 54% of the voters get 33% of the seats? And that group turns around and strips power from the statewide elected officials. And will get away with it because that's just fine with the voters they picked for themselves. And it's like this all over the country. So tell me how we're going to mitigate anything that the rich don't want.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:05 pm

So, basically you're saying the war is already won and everything we're doing is theater.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 am

Press On

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

J. Calvin Coolidge,
30th President of the United States of America

Never give up!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am

Bwis53 wrote:Press On

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

J. Calvin Coolidge,
30th President of the United States of America

Never give up!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

I don't know, Bwis... that sounds like how we got Trump as President. Uneducated nitwit with questionable judgement and talent shows amazing persistence and determination to become President. Proceeds to make a complete mockery of our nation and its voters.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 am

Cadfael wrote:So, basically you're saying the war is already won and everything we're doing is theater.

Pretty much, as far as a peaceful transition is concerned. Look, I was raised to believe that America was special. That the good guys win in the end.
Not anymore.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 am

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:So, basically you're saying the war is already won and everything we're doing is theater.

Pretty much, as far as a peaceful transition is concerned. Look, I was raised to believe that America was special. That the good guys win in the end.
Not anymore.

I think so too. For this country anyway. I
just needed to hear somebody else say it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 pm

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke and others.

"Keep on keepin' on!" Martin Luther King Jr.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Bwis53 wrote:"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke and others.

I believe in that. It's just that I think every normal avenue is pretty much done with the keepin on, and any changes will have to be made through non-normal channels now.

When implementing change, one should recognize that one has been performing the same experiment over and over hoping for different results.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Cadfael wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke and others.

I believe in that. It's just that I think every normal avenue is pretty much done with the keepin on, and any changes will have to be made through non-normal channels now.

When implementing change, one should recognize that one has been performing the same experiment over and over hoping for different results.

Where I think Bwis' quotation is apt is that we are where we are because good men (and women) did nothing when it still would have mattered. About half of all good men and women didn't. even. bother. to vote. We're losing our democracy because too many of us didn't care enough to keep it.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Okay, Bwis. Now I need to know. Were you saying we should keep up the good fight or were you saying we are here because a lot of good men wouldn't keep keepin on?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Both. I don't see another option. I'm still reading my Hamilton book. It is amazing to me, that we won the American Revolution, considering all the infighting and odds. The things colonial soldiers went through,are both appalling and impressive. There are books on non-violent struggle, which are very interesting. (Author Gene Sharp has a nice series, which some group here in Madison, has studied.) I know I'm full of it, but I agree that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Bwis53 wrote: I agree that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

If only we'd have been willing to pay that price when there was still time for it to make a difference.

Cue Debbie Downer: "whomp whomp!"

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 pm

And... in another Corporate Welfare Division of USA's "Chip in this Christmas Season and Publicly Subsidize the Unfortunate Billionaire Class at Taxpayer Expense" department...The rent is STILL too damn high! Worse than ever in NYC, in fact.
"'You're Worth $1 Trillion. Why Do You Need Our $3 Billion?' Angry New Yorkers Confront Amazon Execs at City Council Meeting:"
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... LDi9EmwGjI

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Return to “National Politics & Government”