97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 am

Shorty wrote:Polar Vortex: How the Jet Stream and Climate Change Bring on Cold Snaps
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0202 ... NuooL6llO4

Excellent article

Thanks

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It's just nonyuppie's knee jerk defense of Russia, no matter what the charges are.

I created this account in December, 2014 in this forum to make people aware of (and criticize) Mark Pocan's vote in favor of sanctions against Russia. I thought that the Democrats were deliberately cultivating ill-will against Russia for domestic political reasons. Since then the situation has gotten much worse. While it is true that most (although certainly not all) of my posts have been about Russia it's not fair to say I defend Russia no matter what the charges are. I like to think that when I post my posts add a perspective that is missing in this forum. There really is no need to post negative opinions about Russia. That perspective is well represented here.

As for knee-jerk defense of Russia: are you familiar with the concept of "Innocent until proven guilty"?

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

gargantua wrote:It is not readily apparent to me what Russia stands to gain from sowing doubts about climate science. Other than giving us something else to fight about of course.

Considering that Russia is highly dependent on exports of fossil fuels, I would think that there are many in Russia, inside and outside of government, who would like to sew doubts about climate change, just as there are here.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: They are an aggressive adversarial rival in all matters and experts in psychological manipulation.

Bullshit. The U.S. government (with NATO) is the aggressor and at least as expert in psychological manipulation.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

nato, o nato . . . these were the geniuses who made the danube unusable for the better part of a year because of all the bridges they knocked down into it in 1999 when maybe the better solution would have been for the united nations and bush xli and thatcher et al not to have tried to choke the croats and bosniaks to death when they were being attacked eight years before . . .

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Paleo2 wrote:Nor are all the foreign trouble makers in Russia. One particularly bad twitter account based in Brazil was recently suspended. This was the account that showed the very heavily edited post of the Catholic kids and an American Indian drummer. More gas on the fire.

Of course this could be a Russian account routed through Brazil.

Or the others could have originated anywhere and been routed through Russia. Our intelligence agencies have been shown to have developed techniques for misdirecting attribution of internet activity. No one denies this.

What's up with you? Although you seem to be a Democratic partisan above all else, I have come to expect a little more thoughtfulness from you. Have you never heard of the Bradley Foundation in Milwaukee or the Heartland Institute in Chicago or the Koch brothers or Exxon? Those are the source of much more support for global warming skepticism than some Russian bots. I doubt that Russia has had any significant effect on the debate in this country. Why are you jumping on this particular bandwagon now?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 pm

nonyuppie wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:While it is true that most (although certainly not all) of my posts have been about Russia it's not fair to say I defend Russia no matter what the charges are.

Examples, please.

nonyuppie wrote:As for knee-jerk defense of Russia: are you familiar with the concept of "Innocent until proven guilty"?

That only applies to criminal charges.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
nonyuppie wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:While it is true that most (although certainly not all) of my posts have been about Russia it's not fair to say I defend Russia no matter what the charges are.

Examples, please.

Examples of what? Me not defending Russia against any and all charges? Make some sense.

Henry Vilas wrote:
nonyuppie wrote:As for knee-jerk defense of Russia: are you familiar with the concept of "Innocent until proven guilty"?

That only applies to criminal charges.

It's a good principle to apply outside the courtroom, as well.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Every time Russia is mentioned in this forum, you come to their defense. You even denied that Russia was behind the poison attacks in Great Britain, in the face of overwhelming evidence that they were involved. What next, that Russia didn't collude with the Trump campaign?

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm

nonyuppie wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:Nor are all the foreign trouble makers in Russia. One particularly bad twitter account based in Brazil was recently suspended. This was the account that showed the very heavily edited post of the Catholic kids and an American Indian drummer. More gas on the fire.

Of course this could be a Russian account routed through Brazil.

Or the others could have originated anywhere and been routed through Russia. Our intelligence agencies have been shown to have developed techniques for misdirecting attribution of internet activity. No one denies this.

What's up with you? Although you seem to be a Democratic partisan above all else, I have come to expect a little more thoughtfulness from you. Have you never heard of the Bradley Foundation in Milwaukee or the Heartland Institute in Chicago or the Koch brothers or Exxon? Those are the source of much more support for global warming skepticism than some Russian bots. I doubt that Russia has had any significant effect on the debate in this country. Why are you jumping on this particular bandwagon now?

If you read what I said carefully, I said the Russian and other foreign trouble makers did not start the fires, they poured gas on the fires.

Of course the big oil companies have done far more damage.

And not just Americans. After Citizens United, foreigners can donate money to American elections through international corporations. The way Romney spent the 2012 Olympics fund raising in London was disgraceful.

As I pointed out about 100,000 pages ago, the Saudis pumped a ton of money into GOP campaigns to make sure no Republican could win a primary unless said Republican claimed global warming was a myth. To be fair, Americans, such as the Koch brothers, poured even more money.

I mentioned the Russians because this is a relatively new revelation. Americans lit this particular fire. The Saudis poured enough crude oil on the fire to keep it going. Now the Russians are getting in on the action.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Every time Russia is mentioned in this forum, you come to their defense. You even denied that Russia was behind the poison attacks in Great Britain, in the face of overwhelming evidence that they were involved.

The military industrial complex is on a tear now. Pushing like crazy for their new cold war. There's is a lot of propaganda to fight.

Nothing has been proven about the Skripals poisoning. That's all I said.

Henry Vilas wrote:What next, that Russia didn't collude with the Trump campaign?

I don't care what happens to Trump. I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:01 pm

What you don't deny, you minimize. The Roy syndrome.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Saying nothing has been proven says nothing about the magnitude of the event.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Russia would like to sow doubts in order to influence the American political will to do anything substantive about it, as lack of action will have serious economic and military implications for the U.S. They are an aggressive adversarial rival in all matters and experts in psychological manipulation.

Narratives for the obidient 'children' to absorb. C.I.eh? Meanwhile DWS shills for Rubio on Venezuela.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 am

after the 50-55℃ here comes the dust down under now:
https://abc13.com/weather/intense-dust- ... o/5042224/

Return to “National Politics & Government”