97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:21 am

'Code Red’: Australia is so hot bats are falling from the trees
Australia swelters under 120°F highs during the day and 96°F nighttime lows.
JAN 22, 2019, 2:12 PM

https://thinkprogress.org/australia-hea ... zP8PMS4vAA

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:18 am

Beaver wrote:Climate change anxiety and depression meetup
https://www.meetup.com/Climate-change-a ... on-meetup/

"This is a group for people with anxiety and/or depression related to climate change. I find it hard to find people who relate to or understand how I'm feeling. I think it will be helpful to have others to talk to. Hopefully we can find ways to cope together."

what about people with rage about global warming?
or on the other hand people who are elated and/or passive-aggressive about it, like santorum, for example?
or people who got into carbon credits and developed a gambling problem?
Last edited by gozer on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 am

i read someplace a while ago that there is a proposal for making small nuclear reactors that could use any of a number of fuels including thorium or neptunium from reprocessed waste in addition to the fuels used by current larger ones . . . they could be put at the bottom of used mine shafts or bespoke holes in the ground and then when the useful lifetime of the reactor is finished or something goes pear-shaped, just turn it off if possible and fill up the hole with rocks and concrete and metal from crashed automobiles &c and a little boron maybe and bob's your uncle . . . might fill the gap till there are enough solar panels and other solar plants and windmills set up?

plus, don't they have the filtration technology by this point to incinerate enough garbage to provide electricity instead of putting it in landfills? two or three problems could be solved there if that is the case . . .

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 am

I am sure most or all of you have seen comments sections where some troll, maybe American but often Russian, makes one of the following “points “:

1. How can it be so cold if we have global warming?

Only a complete moron, a paid troll or someone totally ignorant of the difference between weather and climate would say that.
Ah, but our President says that. I suspect he is all three. Certainly a paid troll, and not the brightest bulb in the pack.

2. Haw haw haw now these Liberals are claiming global warming is causing this cold air haw haw haw.

First, it is not Liberals claiming that. Some scientists are. Their political viewpoint is irrelevant to the science, unless one is a paid Russian troll (Trump?).

Second, it is a hypothesis rather than a theory. Meaning scientists are saying this MIGHT be happening, and are collecting evidence as to whether or not this is the case. So far there is some evidence to support it, but it isn’t settled science.

Global warming is an established theory, meaning the scientific evidence is so overwhelming it is considered to be as close as one can get to proven fact in an area where absolute proof is impossible.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 am

Paleo2 wrote:... maybe American but often Russian

Global warming is an established theory, meaning the scientific evidence is so overwhelming it is considered to be as close as one can get to proven fact in an area where absolute proof is impossible.

It's unfortunate that you have to write that last sentence but I understand it needs to be done.

Are you really blaming Russians for Global Warming skepticism? Get real.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am

Actually that sounds quite plausible. We already know they have a network, a large army of agents, a manual of operations on how to influence the US online population, and a motive. They didn't invent the skepticism but they would definitely benefit by amplifying it.

Could you please expand on your reasons why this is not plausible, without resorting to the "get real" type of arguments?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am

It's just nonyuppie's knee jerk defense of Russia, no matter what the charges are.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 am

It is not readily apparent to me what Russia stands to gain from sowing doubts about climate science. Other than giving us something else to fight about of course.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 pm

gargantua wrote:It is not readily apparent to me what Russia stands to gain from sowing doubts about climate science. Other than giving us something else to fight about of course.

Because the argument is ideology-based in that the standard conservative position is skeptic and the standard progressive position is acceptance, amplifying the skepticism exacerbates the left-right rift and helps keep us all divided.

So yes, giving us something else to fight about is pretty much it. Except they didn't give it to us, they're just helping it along as best they can. It's been posited several times that their objective is discord and chaos. The more of we have the less effective we are at everything else.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Russia would like to sow doubts in order to influence the American political will to do anything substantive about it, as lack of action will have serious economic and military implications for the U.S. They are an aggressive adversarial rival in all matters and experts in psychological manipulation.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:48 pm

There have been some excellent responses to nonyuppie’s question.

I will simply add that Russian trolls have joined in the climate debate, presumably for reasons other posters have noted.

Russian trolls don’t necessarily start any fires, but they pour lots of gas on the fires.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 pm

i sometimes see speculation in the russian press that global warming, which is real and not very hard to prove, might not be 100 per cent bad or at a minimum is just one of those things, which, by the way, is a natural thing for folks that far north to wonder . . . same with some folks with canada and the north central united states . . . a "boom in agriculture" and therefore self-sufficiency and exporterhood is the scenario I have heard mentioned as far back as the late 1970s . . .

above and beyond the united states leaving them alone and perhaps cooling down the rhetoric in general in the name of peace, they really don't give a rat's fat arse about internal politics in the united states . . . I thought h r c was throwing away opportunities by being antagonistic towards them on the campaign trail . . . how unfortunate, now which side if any for which were they rooting? it isn't rocket science . . .

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:34 pm

There were times when the same IP address in Russia would be used for the most incinderary MAGA posts and then the most rabid BLM posts.

Nor are all the foreign trouble makers in Russia. One particularly bad twitter account based in Brazil was recently suspended. This was the account that showed the very heavily edited post of the Catholic kids and an American Indian drummer. More gas on the fire.

Of course this could be a Russian account routed through Brazil.

I used to say if you ran across a violent extremist in any organization he (almost always a he) was either a psycho, a Fed, or both.

These days the extremists are online as well, and have a much larger audience. They could bye psychos, Feds, or foreign agents. Or some combination.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:00 pm

gozer wrote:above and beyond the united states leaving them alone and perhaps cooling down the rhetoric in general in the name of peace, they really don't give a rat's fat arse about internal politics in the united states . . .

I agree that if we left them alone they wouldn't be messing with us, but we never leave them alone. They don't care about our internal politics outside of the fact that when our internal politics distracts us from everything else, things are better for them. They've found buttons that are easily pushed and they'll keep pushing them till they don't work any more. And they'll always work.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Polar Vortex: How the Jet Stream and Climate Change Bring on Cold Snaps
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0202 ... NuooL6llO4

Return to “National Politics & Government”