97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 am

Attorney General Brad Schimel claims defending Exxon protects Wisconsin

Attorney General Brad Schimel says his effort to help Exxon Mobil block a government investigation could help protect Wisconsin from legal liability in case someone ever claims state road building contributed to climate change.

But legal experts scoffed at the Republican attorney general’s reasoning that oil company liability for climate change could lead to states being found liable because they built roads for automobiles that emit greenhouse gases.

Another reason to vote for Josh Kaul.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Already did. Sadly, the polls suggest Schimel is the most likely Republican candidate to pull through the election.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:31 pm

The Wisconsin GOP has the best politicians money can buy.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:54 pm

True. That may explain a lot. Like why the Democratic party is so uninspiring and inept in opposing such a greedy and incompetent opponent at governing. The richies bought off all the best talent. It makes more sense when you look at it that way.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 pm

I caught most of the "Sinking Cities: Miami" episode tonight. The summary is that it's possible to spend trillions of dollars to give themselves 30 to 50 years before they'd need to fix it all over again, but there's no way to save the groundwater from a rising ocean so they'd also have to come up with a combination of importing water and catchments/cisterns.

I imagine sooner or later it would be feasible to desalinize as well.

But the properties are just too valuable to lose. They must be saved.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 am

I think somebody posted this to a different thread which I can no longer find. I'm putting it here too. So there. This is the FOURTH NATIONAL CLIMATE ASSESSMENT Volume II: Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States
https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/
These are the summary findings. This is just the heading and the summary paragraph for each of the twelve sections.
I note that each summary paragraph contains the words "climate change." Except for section 9, Agriculture, each summary cannot be quoted without mentioning climate change. So departments who have been ordered not to use that phrase are in a bit of a bind.

1. Communities
Climate change creates new risks and exacerbates existing vulnerabilities in communities across the United States, presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth.

2. Economy
Without substantial and sustained global mitigation and regional adaptation efforts, climate change is expected to cause growing losses to American infrastructure and property and impede the rate of economic growth over this century.

3. Interconnected Impacts
Climate change affects the natural, built, and social systems we rely on individually and through their connections to one another. These interconnected systems are increasingly vulnerable to cascading impacts that are often difficult to predict, threatening essential services within and beyond the Nation’s borders.

4. Actions to Reduce Risks
Communities, governments, and businesses are working to reduce risks from and costs associated with climate change by taking action to lower greenhouse gas emissions and implement adaptation strategies. While mitigation and adaptation efforts have expanded substantially in the last four years, they do not yet approach the scale considered necessary to avoid substantial damages to the economy, environment, and human health over the coming decades.

5. Water
The quality and quantity of water available for use by people and ecosystems across the country are being affected by climate change, increasing risks and costs to agriculture, energy production, industry, recreation, and the environment.

6. Health
Impacts from climate change on extreme weather and climate-related events, air quality, and the transmission of disease through insects and pests, food, and water increasingly threaten the health and well-being of the American people, particularly populations that are already vulnerable.

7. Indigenous Peoples
Climate change increasingly threatens Indigenous communities’ livelihoods, economies, health, and cultural identities by disrupting interconnected social, physical, and ecological systems.

8. Ecosystems and Ecosystem Services
Ecosystems and the benefits they provide to society are being altered by climate change, and these impacts are projected to continue. Without substantial and sustained reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions, transformative impacts on some ecosystems will occur; some coral reef and sea ice ecosystems are already experiencing such transformational changes.

9. Agriculture
Rising temperatures, extreme heat, drought, wildfire on rangelands, and heavy downpours are expected to increasingly disrupt agricultural productivity in the United States. Expected increases in challenges to livestock health, declines in crop yields and quality, and changes in extreme events in the United States and abroad threaten rural livelihoods, sustainable food security, and price stability.

10. Infrastructure
Our Nation’s aging and deteriorating infrastructure is further stressed by increases in heavy precipitation events, coastal flooding, heat, wildfires, and other extreme events, as well as changes to average precipitation and temperature. Without adaptation, climate change will continue to degrade infrastructure performance over the rest of the century, with the potential for cascading impacts that threaten our economy, national security, essential services, and health and well-being.

11. Oceans & Coasts
Coastal communities and the ecosystems that support them are increasingly threatened by the impacts of climate change. Without significant reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions and regional adaptation measures, many coastal regions will be transformed by the latter part of this century, with impacts affecting other regions and sectors. Even in a future with lower greenhouse gas emissions, many communities are expected to suffer financial impacts as chronic high-tide flooding leads to higher costs and lower property values.

12. Tourism and Recreation
Outdoor recreation, tourist economies, and quality of life are reliant on benefits provided by our natural environment that will be degraded by the impacts of climate change in many ways.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:33 pm

When we are all "living" on a spherical burnt cinder, revolving alone and alien in the void, then and only then will Donald and his crowd come to understand money can technically be eaten, but with a totally unsatisfactory result, from a nutritional standpoint...
"Climate change will harm the entire nation if the U.S. doesn’t act now, federal report warns:"
https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-cl ... g9h5Y1FfR4

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Donald Trump buried a climate change report because 'I don't believe it'
(CNN)President Donald Trump on Monday dismissed a study produced by his own administration, involving 13 federal agencies and more than 300 leading climate scientists, warning of the potentially catastrophic impact of climate change.

Why, you ask?
"I don't believe it," Trump told reporters on Monday, adding that he had read "some" of the report.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Don't worry guys, the President is putting a lot of thought into this:

“One of the problems that a lot of people like myself, we have very high levels of intelligence but we’re not necessarily such believers,” said Trump, speaking to the Post’s Josh Dawsey and Philip Rucker. “You look at our air and our water and it’s right now at a record clean. ... As to whether or not it’s man-made and whether or not the effects that you’re talking about are there, I don’t see it — not nearly like it is.”

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain.

Of course he doesn't accept his own government's report on climate change. He probably couldn't understand the first paragraph of the executive summary.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 pm

DCB wrote:
Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain.

Of course he doesn't accept his own government's report on climate change. He probably couldn't understand the first paragraph of the executive summary.

This is one of the aspects of the Trump phenomenon that I have a particularly hard time understanding. The man is appallingly stupid. It's glaringly obvious. And yet this obvious fact is seldom remarked upon, like it's rude or something. I sure hope it doesn't mean that his die hard supporters are so stupid that they don't see it, but I'm afraid that it does.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Where Trump is causing massive, ongoing harm is in his efforts to undermine both national and global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas pollution. Trump is an unusual figure in many ways, and certainly deviates from standard GOP procedure on a range of topics.

Yet embarrassingly for Republicans, one topic on which this is not true is climate change where his views, though patently ridiculous, are uniformly embraced by his party.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/27/18115395 ... erview-gut

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm

gargantua wrote:This is one of the aspects of the Trump phenomenon that I have a particularly hard time understanding. The man is appallingly stupid. It's glaringly obvious. And yet this obvious fact is seldom remarked upon, like it's rude or something. I sure hope it doesn't mean that his die hard supporters are so stupid that they don't see it, but I'm afraid that it does.

Here's a climate scientist who agrees with you. From yesterday's WaPo
Andrew Dessler, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University, struggled to find a response to the president’s comments. “How can one possibly respond to this?” Dessler said when reached by email, calling the president’s comments “idiotic” and saying Trump’s main motivation seemed to be attacking the environmental policies of the Obama administration and criticizing political adversaries.

Andrew Dessler elaborated on his published comments on twitter yesterday

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 am

This is significant. Here's a cable news report about the recent climate assessment:

The climate science is accepted science…. This is not a political issue, it's science. But some have made it political, especially Republicans. And as a result, a lot of folks have missed this report.

I wonder what the reaction was of the typical Fox viewer:

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:20 pm

JoeT wrote:This is significant. Here's a cable news report about the recent climate assessment:

Wait - that's FOX? I didn't think they did factual news.

Meanwhile, over on the "liberal" network - Anderson Cooper records an interview w/Katherine Hayhoe, the main author of the climate report. But they decide not to air the interview, so they can give more time to professional liar Rick Santorum.

Once upon a time, then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich (ask your grandparents) invited Hayhoe to some hearing on Climate Change. He assumed that because she was an evangelical Christian from Texas that of course she'd support the denialist line.

Once he found that she actually understood and supported the science, she was disinvited.

Return to “National Politics & Government”