What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:GOP senator facing criticism over 'public hanging' remark

Mississippi Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith joked about going "front row" to a "public hanging" in a video posted to Twitter on Sunday morning, prompting her African-American opponent to call her comment "reprehensible."

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," the senator is heard saying in the video.
Hyde-Smith faces former Democratic Rep. Mike Espy in a runoff election on November 27 for the Mississippi Senate seat.

Her comments go well beyond the typical GOP racist dog whistling.

You will not be at all shocked to learn that would-be lynching enthusiast Hyde-Smith is also a big fan of the traitor Jefferson Davis.
In 2001, Hyde-Smith’s second year in the state Senate, she introduced legislation to name a portion of Highway 51 for Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy who had no ties to the area.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:44 pm

It's Mississippi. Bet she wins anyway.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:08 pm

gargantua wrote:It's Mississippi. Bet she wins anyway.

Normally, that would be a good bet. But after that Blue Wave, they're not leaving anything to chance. They had a "debate" tonight. No audience or press allowed.
When she faces off against Democratic challenger Mike Espy at 7 p.m., only the debate moderator, panelists and the production team will be allowed in the auditorium—a requirement the Hyde-Smith campaign pushed for and the Espy team argued against.

The debate hosts indulged her in other ways, too.
The top board members for the Mississippi Farm Bureau, which is hosting the debate, have all donated to Hyde-Smith,

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/20 ... -no-press/

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 pm

That follows the GOP pattern of doing anything humanly possible to hang on to power. They probably will in Mississippi, but it will be closer than usual. As least they have something to worry about.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:09 am

"The actual fear driving the attacks on my clothes, my checking account, my rent, isn’t that these folks are scared that I shouldn’t represent people in Congress.

It’s fear that they’ve allowed their riches, their privilege, + their bias to put them to a point where they can’t."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Twitter post 9:44 AM - 20 Nov 2018

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 am

An image on the personal Facebook page of a veteran Wisconsin lawmaker shows a group of black men celebrating atop a vandalized Baltimore police car and the words: “Want to stop riots? Play the national anthem. They’ll all sit down.”

The racially and politically charged meme posted on the page of Republican state Rep. Ed Brooks, of Reedsburg, on Nov. 11, 2016, appears to be an altered Getty Images photo taken during riots in Baltimore in April 2015 in response to the police killing of Freddie Gray.

Wisconsin GOP legislator

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, one of the fiercest political critics of socialized medicine, will travel to Canada later this month to get hernia surgery.

Hypocrisy from the Libertarian Wing of the GOP

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

there is more to the story than just the first sentence

Postby penquin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:12 am

The hospital is privately-owned, not gov't-ran, and the only one in the world that is dedicated to his particular medical issue. Should also be noted that visitors to Canada (such as the Senator) aren't covered by the gov't healthcare, rather they must pay their own way...either out-of-pocket or via their own insurance.

Rand Paul isn't being hypocritical, rather Henry Vilas is being hyper-critical.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 pm

The hospital is private and grandfathered into the current socialized system. But it functions just fine in that system.
It’s privately owned, but “almost all of its work” is done under contract with the Ontario government, according to the Globe and Mail, and it accepts Ontario’s Hospital Insurance Plan, which is part of the nation’s public health care system, the Courier-Journal reported.

If socialized medicine would be bad for the US, then logically it should be bad for Canada too. But it's not. They managed to fold an existing private hospital into their system and it not only managed to stay afloat, it is better than any US hospital for this ailment.

So let's hear all those naysayers screaming about Canadians flooding into the US for medical treatment.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Newly appointed Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel has resigned following images surfacing of him wearing blackface at Halloween party in 2005.

Well, that was a long time ago. Back then it was okay to go blackface with a t-shirt that said "Katrina Victim."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:04 pm

i have to wonder exactly what is going to be left of the republican party when trump is out of office . . . it is not like he has the investment in it that folks like jeb! and cruz et al have . . . it even looks like kasich will stay inside the party after all of the abuse of the last three years or so . . . not so trump, his candidature probably a project dreamed up at a 02.00 c-jam party at h r c headquarters which soon got out of their control . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:14 pm

He'll start a third party and then the third party people can vote for him because Third Party!

Oh, and here's an article about how US citizens are flooding into Mexico for dental work.

Dental work in Mexico is on average two-thirds less than in the US and customers may save 80 percent or more on some costly operations. Those savings derive partially from Mexico’s less expensive real estate and labor costs, but also, Mexico’s dentists don’t graduate with a ton of student debt.

Maybe this one does deserve its own thread. If Rand Paul is going to a socialized-medicine country for treatment and millions of other Americans, presumably both conservatives and progressives, are crossing the border to towns that now have nicknames like “Molar City” then maybe there's a need to discuss.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for this but I have to run and want to get it out.

Just in case anyone thinks Trump might not have any ties to the mob.
During a 2004 panel at the Museum of Television and Radio, in Los Angeles, Trump claimed that “every network” had tried to get him to do a reality show, but he wasn’t interested: “I don’t want to have cameras all over my office, dealing with contractors, politicians, mobsters, and everyone else I have to deal with in my business. You know, mobsters don’t like, as they’re talking to me, having cameras all over the room. It would play well on television, but it doesn’t play well with them.”

“The Apprentice” portrayed Trump not as a skeezy hustler who huddles with local mobsters but as a plutocrat with impeccable business instincts and unparalleled wealth—a titan who always seemed to be climbing out of helicopters or into limousines. “Most of us knew he was a fake,” Braun told me. “He had just gone through I don’t know how many bankruptcies. But we made him out to be the most important person in the world. It was like making the court jester the king.” Bill Pruitt, another producer, recalled, “We walked through the offices and saw chipped furniture. We saw a crumbling empire at every turn. Our job was to make it seem otherwise.”

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm

I guess it worked.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 am

doesn't everybody in his business have to, as a matter of course, deal with various fraternal organisations which like to give people concrete overshoes? and others, so the same could be said about de blasio and all of his predecessors . . . no smoking gun here . . . probably one elsewhere

Return to “National Politics & Government”