What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 pm

The GOP controlled Congress gave huge tax breaks to corporations and the very wealthy, which only added to the federal deficit. So what do they propose now as a remedy? Cut Social Security and Medicare.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The GOP controlled Congress gave huge tax breaks to corporations and the very wealthy, which only added to the federal deficit. So what do they propose now as a remedy? Cut Social Security and Medicare.

I really appreciate Mitch bringing that up before the midterms. Any Democratic candidate with a functioning brain cell should talk about this as often as possible.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Go Beto Go! It's a hard, even Sisyphean piece of work, trying to win as a Texas Dem, but you have ONE advantage: Ted Cruz's own fans can't stand him! If I were a praying man, I'd say one for you, Mr. O'Rourke!
"O'Rourke goes on the attack against Cruz:"
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... ate-911112

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 pm

This is what desperation smells like when it comes from people with no morals or backbone.
ARIZONA REPUBLICANS POSE AS COMMUNISTS TO MAKE ILLEGAL DONATION TO DEMOCRAT CONGRESSMAN TOM O’HALLERAN’S CAMPAIGN
The men used the aliases Jose Rosales and Ahmahd Sadia while attempting to make the donation. When they were informed that they would only get an emailed receipt for the donation, “Rosales” scratched out one email and wrote another in while filling out the required paperwork.

After becoming suspicious of the pair, O’Halleran’s campaign team then posted a video of Lindsey Coleman, the finance director for the campaign, returning the cash to the Arizona Republican party headquarters in person.

“I am here because two young gentlemen made this contribution to our campaign,” Coleman said as she arrived at the front desk. At this point the man who allegedly called himself Rosales comes out from behind a door, with another man behind the desk informing Coleman that his real name is Oscar.

“Oscar, I have your cash and I would like to return it to you please,” Coleman then shouts, prompting Oscar to return once more from behind the door.

“I’m returning the funds which you’ve just made to our campaign under the name Jose Roseles claiming to be with NAU Young Communists when in fact you are with the NAU Young Republicans and your name is Oscar.

“Thank you for your support, but we cannot accept your funds,” Coleman adds.

The man named Oscar did not dispute the claims from Coleman, even wishing her a great day as she leaves.

The Arizona Republican Party did not immediately return a request for comment.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 am

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:56 am

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 pm

If one were to stage a contest to determine who's worse, Scott Walker or Donald Trump, there would only be losers. And that result would include the residents of Wisconsin, the USA and the whole world - at least those of us who are constantly subjected to the ravings and doings of that especially deranged, corrupt and offensive "president," and the much smoother presentation of Wisconsin's "governor," polished as it is by big-bucks-earning political groomers.
"Trump makes new threat over US-Mexico border
US President Donald Trump has threatened to use military force to completely close the US-Mexico border:"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45905294

"State Roads Are Second Worst in Nation
Walker’s unwillingness to spend on highways causing huge problems:"
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2018/01/04/o ... bAGnAvuPyo

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Scott Walker is worse, if the criterion is knowingly doing wrong.
Trump is worse if the criterion is harm, due to his office. Scott is evil. Trump is a barely literate fool who just wants to be popular and can't comprehend why he isn't loved. He's not evil. He's stupid. You could randomly pick any right wing troll and find someone at least as qualified.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:40 am

But, unfortunately, this guy won.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 pm

If the radio noise is any indication, Republicans have moved to full-on conspiracy theories about Democratic operatives in the 2018 midterms, particularly in Florida. We're talking about brazen criminals stuffing ballot boxes, voting multiple times and filling out provisional ballots even as we speak. Given the history of Florida vis-a-vis national elections, this comes as a surprise to no one, and the shoe has been on the other foot several times, but in a climate of deranged politicos shooting up their perceived enemies, one would think the talking-heads would hit the "pause" button.

Nope! Despite the presence of literally thousands of lawyers descending upon Florida, Georgia and Arizona, Republicans are resorting to vitriol and scare tactics to mobilize their base. Facts be damned, we're going with Rush Limbaugh on this one!

I'd love to be wrong, but I think we can expect some violence in the coming days and weeks.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:56 pm

i played back a message from the republican party, a get-out-the-vote message for scott walker, wherein they really crow about wanting to force (yes, that was the word they used) welfare recpients work for their welfare, ostensibly including health care, and making them get tested for drugs . . . so walker and this witch not only have lots of problems with early secondary-school mathematics and civics more or less at his level, but walker actually has refused to accept money being returned to wisconsin from the federal government to help poor, displaced, sick, and old people with health care. what about local control and power back to the states, at least as long as it doesn't involve people being able to pack heat . . .these people are not only all of the above, but they a destructive, hypocritical and/or nihilist* crew of sick, vicious poor excuses for human beings . . . the next message was a warm upbeat evers one, which was nice. it is a good start to having someone come into that office from the education side of things . . . democrats need to do a better job in defending human, community, and civil rights and having a humane policy on traditional health, education & welfare issues rather than getting distracted by social issues which are either impossible to make any real change to policy or by letting whackos on the far right and apolitical sadists invent issues like bathroom use, bring back old, divisive issues (like abortion and even birth control†) because remember, the republicans and far left are in cahoots

---
* in the bad, do as i say, not as it do, social darwinist definition side of it, course . . .
† i swear to quetzalcoatl that this qwerty 101-key central european keyboard with the usual key timings and repeat rate spelled that out as "bitch contrtol" [sic] when i looked away to see what the one of the birds was doing -- well, that is what they call it internally, right? and publically as "itch control" (remember the 5-grain aspirin as birth control: hold it betwixt your knees all night?)

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 am

why is kellyanne conway going around claiming that the elections were about people wanting there not to be the option for medicare for all? she is just stone cold lying ; it never came up . . . i guess she was as crazy as her opposite number on the h r c for president staff. "who's going to pay for it?" no only sadistic bastards would let those words leave their upper anus in public . . . if they are some time this century reach processor speed and storage capabilities to implent the now apparently settled and allow for teleportation of people and large objects, u know they have the power to set up and collect the funds to pay for any needed expansion with a 2½ ‱ (per myriad or basis point or lower) on all wholesale and retail transactions, import, and central bank transactions tax, take it right out of the economy rather than coming back to people and asking for some back like a crack head . . .

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:54 am

gozer wrote:why is kellyanne conway going around claiming ... she is just stone cold lying ;

She is just stone cold lying all the time. Why should today be any different?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 pm

GOP senator facing criticism over 'public hanging' remark

Mississippi Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith joked about going "front row" to a "public hanging" in a video posted to Twitter on Sunday morning, prompting her African-American opponent to call her comment "reprehensible."

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," the senator is heard saying in the video.
Hyde-Smith faces former Democratic Rep. Mike Espy in a runoff election on November 27 for the Mississippi Senate seat.

Her comments go well beyond the typical GOP racist dog whistling.

Return to “National Politics & Government”