What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Cadfael » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous. Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.

Mike Pence wrote that. Of course, he was writing about Bill Clinton while he gives his boss, Donald Trump, a pass. The hypocrisy is appalling.

The appalling part to me isn't his hypocrisy. It's the pass he's being given by the cultists. They not only don't care, they're happily basking in the glow of "angered liberals."

Whatever them libruls don't like is fine with them. Don't matter none if any commandments or laws get broken, or what it does to the country.

Their lives won't change much. They'll still watch American Idol, there'll still be beer and hamburgers, and they'll still have ethnicities laying around to blame for everything that goes wrong.

Think I'm wrong?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm

I wonder if Roy has that shirt.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if Roy has that shirt.

I wonder if Roy was the one on the left.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm

gargantua wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if Roy has that shirt.

I wonder if Roy was the one on the left.

Nope. That's James Alicie and Richard Birchfield at a Trump rally in Olentangy Orange High School, Ohio, Aug 4.

I bet Roy would be grateful if you bought one a them there shirts for him, though.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 am

The first member of Congress to endorse Trump for president has just been indicted and arrested for massive inside trading.

Rep. Chris Collins was arrested Wednesday morning after a federal grand jury indicted him on insider trading charges as well as lying to federal agents.

Collins and his co-defendants surrendered to authorities Wednesday morning in Manhattan, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for New York’s Southern District.

Collins defended Trump for not releasing his tax returns, as he said it would give business rivals an unfair advantage.

Will Trump's good buddy get a presidential pardon?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 pm

would a clinton-era "i'd rather be a [nigerian|chinese|arab|israeli] than a republican" shirt evoke the same reactions, or is it just the slavonic peoples to whom it's fair to give the business these days? along with the israelis and shi'ites, that is . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:50 pm

gozer wrote:would a clinton-era "i'd rather be a [nigerian|chinese|arab|israeli] than a republican" shirt evoke the same reactions, or is it just the slavonic peoples to whom it's fair to give the business these days? along with the israelis and shi'ites, that is . . .

I don't think so, and I don't think ethnicity would enter into the first reaction. For me, anyway. If that had happened in the Clinton era, I'd be flabbergasted. I wouldn't understand it. Why would you say that? What does it mean?

But I look at those two guys and I'm not surprised. I'm sad and disappointed but not surprised at all and I understand exactly what they mean.

Oh by the way, Graham Nash was inspired by the March for Our Lives events to work with animator Jeff Scher on a new video for Teach Your Children.
(I didn't know he started writing this song while he was with the Hollies.)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm

GOP Candidate Faked College Degree, University Says

As long as she supports Trump, his supporters won't care. They will probably call it fake news.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:GOP Candidate Faked College Degree, University Says

As long as she supports Trump, his supporters won't care. They will probably call it fake news.

Hank, this is like saying that the sun will rise tomorrow. If there's one thing we know about Trump supporters, it's that they ignore any facts that they don't like.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Let's ask Roy. He'll probably concur.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:22 pm

The nation's attention has been drawn to the issue of sexual assault, especially concerning prominent Americans both in and out of politics. So what does this GOP member of Congress want to joke about?

Rep. Ralph Norman jokes about Ruth Bader Ginsburg's being 'groped' by Abe Lincoln

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 pm

A Minnesota state representative has ended his reelection campaign after his daughter alleged that the Republican lawmaker touched her inappropriately for more than 10 years, beginning when she was 9.

In a statement Friday, Jim Knoblach, of St. Cloud, Minn., denied the accusations but said he was ending his campaign because he was “not willing to spend six weeks fighting with my daughter in the media.”

I expect to see more and more reports of this nature coming out in the near future.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:22 am

Former Trump Aide Leaves CNN After Abortion Accusation

Jason Miller, a former aide to President Donald Trump, said on Saturday that he had decided to leave his role as a political commentator at CNN following an accusation that he administered an “abortion pill” to a woman he impregnated during an affair.

I wonder what position he takes on Roe v Wade.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 pm

A timely story about dairy farmers and their undocumented workers in Iowa:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a23471864/devin-nunes-family-farm-iowa-california/

On the one hand, they all voted for Trump; on the other hand, they're scared silly that ICE will come a-calling and destroy their community and livelihoods. The Nunes connection is just a mystery to hang the story on, and icing on the hypocritical GOP cake.

Return to “National Politics & Government”