Senator Baldwin?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Senator Baldwin?

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Why does Baldwin want to be a Senator instead of a Congressperson? Is there an advantage?

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Senator Baldwin?

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Shes doesnt stand a chance for senator.

To answer your question, senator is a pretty big deal.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Crockett makes a good argument. Full of facts and insight. Great conversation guys!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Geez I could have gone to madison.com for that. Please, I'd really like to know what the advantage might be.

Maybe we could create a topic just for snarking and trolling, like get it out of your system.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Crockett makes a good argument. Full of facts and insight. Great conversation guys!

Its called The Google. I don't think I need to go into how our Congress works.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscel ... nd-senate/

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Her chances are almost entirely based on who runs against her. The Republican candidate would probably have to be as far to the right as Baldwin is to the left - not sure that can happen, but Mark Neumann would be the closest, probably. She will have the advantage of being on a ticket with a Democratic president that is good a turning out Democratic voters, which will improve her chances some.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Oh, Crockett is still sulking because she got ripped up one side and down the other for trashing the fire department the day they put out the Underground Kitchen building fire. She's back today with more mindlessly mean comments just to prove she doesn't give a damn.

Why would anyone want to be senator instead of representative? First off, one senator can singlehandedly stop just about anything that happens in the senate. Most of them don't use that privilege a lot, but a senate seat comes with some pretty significant powers and one of them is to place a bill on hold, in which case the whole thing comes to a halt. Period.

Because there are only 100 senators, they all know each other and have the opportunity to confer regularly, even across-the-aisle, on legislation and other topics of importance. Recall the McCain Feingold campaign contributions legislation (since killed by the Supreme Court), which for a while placed obstacles in the path of corporate political influence. Under reasonable political conditions the senate, in its role as a deliberative body, can do a lot to shape our legislative landscape. I don't blame Tammy for wanting to join the club. She's certainly put in her time representing our district in the House and she knows Washington, which is more than you can say for Ron Johnson.

makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby makmadison » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 pm

I doubt Baldwin appeals enough to those outside the 2nd district, specifically those not aligned with either party.

She's as liberal as a Democrat can be. She has a weak record to run on - the average, non-partisan, non-party aligned voter will not be able to name more than two accomplishments she has had in all her years in Congress.

Regardless, her 2nd Congressional seat is likely to stay Democratic.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 am

Tammy Baldwin has zero chance to be elected senator.

I have utmost respect for her, but lets keep it real.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Polling data would seem to indicate otherwise.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm

An electorate that swings from Ron Johnson to Tammy Baldwin in two years is hard to fathom . I find it hard to believe that even The Scott Walker Experience has administered sufficient electric shock treatment.

Who is the last unrepentent liberal elected statewide in WI? Gaylord Nelson in 60's? Feingold is a fiscal conservative. Maybe Tony Earl.

I have become a big fan of Tammy Baldwin in recent years. She votes liberal, but she has consideration for other ways of thinking.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

An electorate that rejected Russ Feingold to get Ron Johnson :oops: & you think it couldn't happen for Tammy?? I think people have almost immediately regretted giving a know-nothing like Johnson such an easy path into the U.S. Senate. And are also regretting showing Russ the door because on calm reflection, nearly everyone will say that Russ represented his constituents well. At least, informed voters will say that. The ones who adopt as mantra all of the spin that comes with elections don't know anything either.

talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby talagaster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am

This is a state where 12% of the voting population voted for both George W. Bush & Russ Feingold on the same 2004 ballot. Hundreds of thousands who said "Yes We Can" in 2008 said "Yes We Can Stay At Home" in 2010. A good number of WI voters are either 1) nuanced 2) fickle or 3) pick their candidates by tea leaves.

It's impossible to predict this goofy electorate. It's completely plausible that our Senate delegation could be Ron "creative destruction" Johnson & Tammy "never meant a liberal cause I didn't like" Baldwin.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am

I guess that today no more than 25% of WI voters know who Tammy Baldwin is, so polls are meaningless. She will be introduced to the public as the Madison-based, most liberal representative in the entire U.S. House. That will be the nicest thing they portray her as.

I don't think there is an example of WI electing a far left candidate at statewide level. Gaylord Nelson was a long time ago. Feingold has his conservative leanings. I do not consider Baldwin to be a knee-jerk liberal, she sees both sides of arguments, but the WI voters will be voting on a public relations battle.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Huckleby wrote:the WI voters will be voting on a public relations battle.

That's really what it comes down to, unfortunately. That's how we got Ron Johnson and our dysfunctional Supreme Court. So hopefully Tammy's PR people are more effective than her opponent's.

Return to “National Politics & Government”