How should we encourage more Millenials to vote?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

catvideos.gov
No votes
dogvideos.gov
No votes
4-20 man!
No votes
More Reddit AMA's from Politicians
No votes
Now that Kanye's temporarily not crazy, nominate HIM
No votes
Student Loan Forgiveness
33%
Nominate some younger politicians
67%

Total votes: 3

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Anything goes. There's no "other", but you can post them here.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How should we encourage more Millenials to vote?

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:52 pm

I went with younger. The leadership of both parties is kind of stale, ossified, what have you.
I'll have to more fully develop ideas on "other". For example, developing secure methods to use technology to vote from anywhere. It can be done with biometric security.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Really? Most of us here are way past the young adult stage.

I think back to the late 60s and early 70s when I was young. Federal grants and loans to attend college had been enacted recently. Those grants and loans made college affordable for me, but it didn't sell me on any candidate. I don't think any candidate was dumb enough to think that was a great selling point. Most of us and most candidates just thought it was common sense to make college easier for lower middle class and poor students to attend college. I appreciated these programs, because it made going to school much easier for me, but it wasn't a voting issue for me. As for most young adults of that time, the war in Vietnam, the draft and civil rights were the big issues that motivated students to vote. Sure, we liked our music and our fads and fashions, but we didn't expect our candidates to fake slobber over our music preferences. Also, of course, the idea of the 18 year old vote was an important. We all felt if you are old enough to die you should be old enough to vote.

Back in those days I volunteered in campaigns. We volunteers would canvas voters in their neighborhoods and dorms. We would ask them what issues they thought were important and what motivates them to vote. They would tell us. We would write it down and a few weeks later the candidate would send some literature on that issue. Now that's how you go about finding out how what's important to this generation of young adults and getting them involved. I suppose now you would use more social media.

The age of candidate was never a big issue then. It's where they stood on issues and how genuine they came across. Were they willing to stick their neck out and risk not being elected by standing up for what was right. That was big back then. Clearly, charisma helps. Bobby Kennedy had it, but Gene McCarthy's belief that personal charisma should not be an important factor in choosing a leader was also admirable. He went out of his way to be the non-charismatic candidate.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Donald, Millenials know nothing but hyper-partisan politicians spreading lies. Think about it. Republicans have successfully convinced generations of Americans that government is broken, and they've done it by breaking government. When a 30 year-old says he doesn't vote because there isn't any point, both parties are the same, he's referencing literally THOUSANDS of Republicans acting like assholes and then using false equivalency to claim that all of his opponents are assholes too.

The poll is a joke, but the point is not. We need to engage younger generations in politics. Republicans want them to stay home. That pretty much says it all.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 am

Here's how you motivate voting: make it mandatory for everyone over 18, and put a monetary penalty on those who don't show up at the polls. I've been on TDF before with this proposal. I think voting is a duty that should be mandatory. I'm serious about it. I've even suggested lowering the voting age to 16, because if you're old enough to die (in school massacres), you're old enough to vote.

You seem to want millennials to vote as a political wedge against Republicans. I want them to vote because in a democracy, if they don't vote, our democracy doesn't work. When old farts like me get to decide millennials' futures, something is wrong. I think my vote should count as 1/the voting age population, not 1/the population of old farts who vote. I vote every election, and as my daughter will tell you, I'm happy to tell millennials how to live. I'm someone, for example, who voted against the pot referendum. If millennials want people like me deciding everything, I'm fine being their Daddy. But that's not how I think it should be.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:04 pm

pjbogart wrote:Anything goes.

"Anything goes" has been your plan so far...why change tactics now? Just keep on calling those who disagree with you names and personally attack 'em until they see how pure&perfect your political opinions truly are and that'll drive 'em to the polls for sure.

So yeah, keep on doing what you have been doing...if someone has a deep-religious beleif that abortion is wrong then label them as Nazis and belittle anyone who dares to disagrees with you on that. When your political opponents suggest that re-legalizing marijuana might be a good idea then spew all kinds of reefer-madness propaganda while calling them things like "Stoney" and "Burnout". When someone says that taxes are too high, yell at them about how they must hate their neighbors. When they say prohibition&confiscation isn't a good gun control policy then accuse them of being a racist who wants to see children die. Keep on painting your opponents as monsters, and surely they will eventually see things your way.

Also let 'em know they should be criminally punished if their opinions are different than yours (because anyone thinking differently than you do must be lying, and liars should be locked up) and that the Democratic Party would never-ever stoop to telling any falsehoods. And constantly pepper your remarks with comments about how people only disagree with your opinion 'cause they are partisan hacks who simply don't like you. Make it clear that all the reasonable people are on your side of the issues and anyone who disagrees with ya should die a slow and painful death.

You might also wanna take a page from Paleo's and Flounder's playbook, and accuse anyone who doesn't see things the same way as you do as not being sincere and honest because there is no way you can envision how anybody could hold such an opinion. That's a great way to reach people and convert 'em over to your point-of-view.

Above all - make sure to keep on labeling those who disagree with ya'll as unintelligent and dumb. Make sure they know that if they were as smart as you are then naturally they would agree with everything you hold dear, 'cause after all your opinions are so perfectly logical that only an imbecile (or a paid hack) could say otherwise.

So yeah - just keep on doing what you've been doing. Why change anything now? Keep in mind, those methods of yours must be working - this forum used to be a mixture of various political opinions all across the spectrum and now very few people would dare to express a differing opinion from what the Democratics hold dear. So just keep on doing what you've been doing and success will surely be yours.

And if anyone dares to call you out on this type behavior, then let 'em know they are nothing more than a cunt. That is your "thing' after all, so don't let it go by the wayside...

/sarc

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Donald wrote:Here's how you motivate voting: make it mandatory for everyone over 18, and put a monetary penalty on those who don't show up at the polls. I've been on TDF before with this proposal. I think voting is a duty that should be mandatory. I'm serious about it. I've even suggested lowering the voting age to 16, because if you're old enough to die (in school massacres), you're old enough to vote.

I am uncomfortable penalizing people for not voting. To me it seems to go against the whole Freedom thing. I worry that corrupt officials would still disenfranchise voters who would then pay for being disenfranchised.

I think we'd get almost as many people voting if we made it a national holiday and made it much easier to vote, which means more polling places and more poll workers.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:01 pm

folks not voting is a vote of no confidence -- that's a vote too, against the system and the status quo . . . compulsory voting would just guarantee a larger proportion of clueless voters . . . and deprive people of that right . . .

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 pm

penquin wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Anything goes.

"Anything goes" has been your plan so far...why change tactics now? Just keep on calling those who disagree with you names and personally attack 'em until they see how pure&perfect your political opinions truly are and that'll drive 'em to the polls for sure.

So yeah, keep on doing what you have been doing...if someone has a deep-religious beleif that abortion is wrong then label them as Nazis and belittle anyone who dares to disagrees with you on that. When your political opponents suggest that re-legalizing marijuana might be a good idea then spew all kinds of reefer-madness propaganda while calling them things like "Stoney" and "Burnout". When someone says that taxes are too high, yell at them about how they must hate their neighbors. When they say prohibition&confiscation isn't a good gun control policy then accuse them of being a racist who wants to see children die. Keep on painting your opponents as monsters, and surely they will eventually see things your way.

Also let 'em know they should be criminally punished if their opinions are different than yours (because anyone thinking differently than you do must be lying, and liars should be locked up) and that the Democratic Party would never-ever stoop to telling any falsehoods. And constantly pepper your remarks with comments about how people only disagree with your opinion 'cause they are partisan hacks who simply don't like you. Make it clear that all the reasonable people are on your side of the issues and anyone who disagrees with ya should die a slow and painful death.

You might also wanna take a page from Paleo's and Flounder's playbook, and accuse anyone who doesn't see things the same way as you do as not being sincere and honest because there is no way you can envision how anybody could hold such an opinion. That's a great way to reach people and convert 'em over to your point-of-view.

Above all - make sure to keep on labeling those who disagree with ya'll as unintelligent and dumb. Make sure they know that if they were as smart as you are then naturally they would agree with everything you hold dear, 'cause after all your opinions are so perfectly logical that only an imbecile (or a paid hack) could say otherwise.

So yeah - just keep on doing what you've been doing. Why change anything now? Keep in mind, those methods of yours must be working - this forum used to be a mixture of various political opinions all across the spectrum and now very few people would dare to express a differing opinion from what the Democratics hold dear. So just keep on doing what you've been doing and success will surely be yours.

And if anyone dares to call you out on this type behavior, then let 'em know they are nothing more than a cunt. That is your "thing' after all, so don't let it go by the wayside...

/sarc

I'm sorry, my cat was freaking out over something. Could you repeat that?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 am

pjbogart wrote:I'm sorry, my cat was freaking out over something.

How can anybody be so sure you actually have a cat? What have you said that makes everybody think anything you say about yourself might be true? That's one of the problems with being a shameless propagandist and outright liar...people don't believe you even when you might be telling the truth.

The shoes fit - so you go ahead and wear 'em.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

Cadfael wrote:I think we'd get almost as many people voting if we made it a national holiday and made it much easier to vote, which means more polling places and more poll workers.

On this, we agree. Instead of voting on a Tuesday, have it happen over the course of a three-day weekend with the results being decided early Monday evening. Make a big deal out of it - start a tradition where folks get together for breakfast or lunch before heading over to the polls, have Hallmark sell some greeting cards, throw a party on Sat or Sunday evening where you hafta have a "I voted" sticker in order to get in, Black Friday-type sales at all the stores but you need that aforementioned sticker in order to get the discount, bands can write songs about the Election Weekend, and so on & so on.

Make a big deal out of it, hype it up more than Halloween, and folks will come out in droves.

ttt3
Forum Addict

Postby ttt3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm technically a Millenial (35 y.o.), although just barely, and I have a hard time calling myself that (I relate more closely to Gen X)

Anyways, I can add this to the above list:

- Elect Donald Trump as president (which already happened). I think the fact that this idiot / scam artist got elected was a wake up call to Millenials to get their shit together and get out and vote (especially for someone who has a chance of winning), even if their preferred candidate (i.e. Bernie) didn't make it to the final prez ballot. I know a few people my age who voted Stein / Johnson and regret it, and some that didn't vote at all and regret it. Both groups just assumed Trump wasn't gonna win anyways and are kicking themselves now. I suspect Evers, Baldwin, etc won in part due to some people wanting to do whatever they could to stick it to the Republicans for getting Trump elected.

-Put anything related to marijuana legalization related on the ballot. Young people want this legalized and will vote to make this happen once the old fossils are flushed out of state and federal government. (Although I guess "420, man" is in this vein)

Return to “National Politics & Government”