Golf

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Golf

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 am

Important rule changes to keep in mind when you hit the links in Spring.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/nine-c ... ral-border
"The following 9 rules went into effect New Year’s Day and may make a difference on the links especially if you are playing for dough. You can find a copy of the Player’s Edition of the Rules of Golf online at usgapublications.com

1. There is no penalty if you accidentally move your ball (or ball marker) on the green. Put the ball back, and you’re good to go. The same applies if you’re searching for a lost ball and mistakenly move it.

2. You may now fix everything on the green without a penalty. You can also touch the line of your putt with your hand or club so long as you’re not improving it.

3. To improve pace of play, golfers now have just three minutes to search for a missing ball rather than five.

4. When dropping a ball back in play, players will now drop from around their knee instead of their shoulder.

5. You’re free to touch/move loose impediments and ground your club in penalty areas, eliminating any unnecessary worry. (The only caveat: You still can’t put your club down and use it to improve the conditions for the stroke. You can remove loose impediments in bunkers, too, although touching the sand in a bunker in front of or behind the ball is still prohibited.)

6. You may now play a club that has become damaged in any fashion. If you caused the damage, however, you can’t replace the club with a new one.

7. A double hit of the ball in one swing will now not be penalized.

8. There is no penalty now for hitting a flagstick left in the hole while putting on a green.

9. Courses may implement a Local Rule as an alternative to the stroke-and-distance penalty for lost balls or shots hit out-of-bounds in a non-competitive event. A player may drop a ball anywhere between where the original ball was believed to come to rest (or went out-of-bounds) and just into the edge of the fairway, but no nearer the hole. The golfer takes a two-stroke penalty and plays on instead of returning to the tee."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Golf

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:16 am

“Golf is a good walk spoiled."
Attributed to Mark Twain

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:08 am

Henry Vilas wrote:“Golf is a good walk spoiled."
Attributed to Mark Twain

I would have agreed with that statement a few years ago. At some point, I learned not to let bad shots bother me. Now I enjoy the experience, and play better. Letting go of the angst came before the playing better.
I'm fine with the rule changes. One of the only things I don't enjoy about golf is standing around waiting for slow players to get their act together.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Just my personal view with very little experience playing. The Navy course in Norfolk for enlisted (vs. the one for the officers) was never watered, dry as a bone. The greens were no better. I gave up counting my strokes after a while.

Both Ms Vilas and I come from golfing families. My dad retired to AZ in order to golf everyday. He's hit a hole-in-one. One of my brothers, a banker in "wealth management," gets paid to golf with clients. My wife has two brothers who are avid golfers and one has scored an ace, as well as her father and grandfather. I've told that quote to many of them.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:“Golf is a good walk spoiled."
Attributed to Mark Twain

I've always said, life is plenty gamey enough, without doing it on purpose...

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Those are great rule changes. It makes the game more friendly and less penal.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 am

For the most part I agree that these are great improvements, and long overdue.

The one that seemed least necessary is leaving the flag stick in when putting. If you are playing a round by yourself, you probably already did that anyway. If you are playing with a foursome that knows what they are doing at all, it *shouldn't* be a drastic slowdown in the game.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”