Badger football

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badger football

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 pm

It could be much worse.

John Coatta, Wisconsin Badgers, 1967-69

Record: 3-26-1

Imagine the excitement in Madison when John Coatta, a former Wisconsin quarterback, took the Badgers job after six seasons as an assistant at Florida State and two at Wisconsin.

But Coatta didn't get his first win until the fourth game of this third season, when the Badgers beat Iowa 23-17. He tacked on wins over Indiana and Illinois before the season was over but by then Wisconsin was ready to move on.

Coatta dropped down to Mankato State, where he went 34-25-2 in six seasons.

Memories of those years are still seared into my mind.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I remember it so well. Glenn Miller was the sports editor of the State Journal, and he said the Badgers won the "3 I League". When they beat Iowa, everybody in the stadium marched down State Street in celebration.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:16 pm

When does b-ball season start?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 pm

david cohen wrote:When does b-ball season start?

Well, now I have a lot more time to keep up with my yard work.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Those kids from BYU just looked like they wanted it more. They probably spent the last week or two watching themselves get creamed by the Badgers last year. I can't understand why our defense seemed caught off-guard by the constant jet sweeps... that's really all BYU's been doing so far this year so it shouldn't have come as any surprise that their game plan was going to include a lot of jet sweeps. And how does an offensive line of Wisconsin's caliber fail to generate a solid running attack? Was the heat a factor? BYU traveled to Arizona and won two weeks ago. Perhaps they were better prepared.

Even if it was a "dry heat".

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:28 pm

It can be very dangerous to underestimate one’s opponent.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 am

They don't do well in warm weather. Linemen are too fat.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Paleo2 wrote:It can be very dangerous to underestimate one’s opponent.

It's as bad as overestimating oneself, which they can't take all the blame for. They were hyped and overrated. As much as they say they don't pay attention to that stuff, it's just what they're supposed to say. They're young guys. Of course they listen to the hype.
They're a very good team. They just aren't a national championship caliber team, and being hyped as one did them no favors.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am

gargantua wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:It can be very dangerous to underestimate one’s opponent.

It's as bad as overestimating oneself, which they can't take all the blame for. They were hyped and overrated. As much as they say they don't pay attention to that stuff, it's just what they're supposed to say. They're young guys. Of course they listen to the hype.
They're a very good team. They just aren't a national championship caliber team, and being hyped as one did them no favors.

The initial #4 ranking was not even close to being accurate. I think that most people realized this but, as you say, the players are young guys not far out of high school, and they bought into it. The scores of their first two wins were decent but when watching the games it was clear that they weren't easily dominating the unranked teams like they should have been. The first half of the New Mexico game was particularly unimpressive. They looked asleep against BYU from start to finish.

The upcoming game against Iowa is huge for UW. Maybe the embarrassing loss this past weekend will help them get up for it. They can't still be thinking that all that they have to do is show up and win. I don't have good feelings about the game and if I were a betting man I have to say that my money would be on Iowa.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Great, gritty win. Hornibrook really showed a lot of poise. Iowa played really well and I think they have a real winner in Stanley. Expect Iowa to have a good season... perhaps good enough to overcome a loss to the Badgers and win the Big Ten West anyway.

The Badgers need to stay focused. They beat Iowa, but Iowa isn't going away.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 am

I can say with absolute confidence that Nebraska is the best 0-5 team in the country, but the win still doesn't do much to convince me that Wisconsin can win on the road @Michigan and @Penn State. I guess we'll find out next week if Bucky can run with the big dogs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:50 am

I wouldn't put Northwestern in the win column either. I don't think they will, but it's possible that this team could go 7-5.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am

Quintez Cephus sues UW, says disciplinary investigation violating his rights
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/cour ... 3BEF2C94B1

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am

Shorty wrote:Quintez Cephus sues UW, says disciplinary investigation violating his rights
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/cour ... 3BEF2C94B1

On the surface, at least, he may have a point. At a minimum, he's guilty of bad judgement, but he hasn't been proven guilty of a crime in court. The UW seems to be treating him as if he had been.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 pm

After the Michigan game, I am starting to suspect the Badgers won’t win the national championship

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”