Frozen Four

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
MPMay
Forum Addict

Frozen Four

Postby MPMay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 am

I attend the NCAA Men's Frozen Four every year. This year it is in St. Paul, April 5-7.

Despite our Badgers stumble down the stretch when Coach Granato was in Korea, the much-maligned B1G is having a party in St. Paul. 3 of the 4 finalists are Big Ten teams.

Minnesota-Duluth plays Ohio State in one semifinal, while Michigan meets Notre Dame (a member of the B1G for hockey) in the other.

Should be a great show. For cultural reasons, I'll pull for the Irish, but it really is an ABM (Anybody But Michigan) tourney.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Frozen Four

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Hockey is too violent. I went to a fight once, and a hockey game broke out.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Re: Frozen Four

Postby MPMay » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, I feel sorry for you if you didn't watch some of the best college hockey of the year. Unlike the pros, you do not see fighting in the college game.

We were treated to 3 one-goal games, with Minnesota-Duluth besting all those B1G teams and taking home the trophy. Duluth beat Notre Dame 2-1 in the championship, having to withstand the patented late Irish surge. This time, even with the goalie pulled for the extra attacker, ND could not get the equalizer. Congrats to Duluth, a team with a just better than mediocre season, the last team into the tournament, for putting together a great run to their second national title.

In the preliminaries, Duluth beat Ohio State in a similar manner. The Bulldogs grabbed a 2-0 lead and fended off a furious OSU charge, again with the goalie pulled, to get a 2-1 win. Notre Dame seemingly had Michigan under control, having scored 3 straight after falling behind 2-0. But Michigan scored late in the third period and some Free Hockey (OT) looked certain. Not so fast, my friend. The Irish score with 5 ticks on the clock to win 4-3.

The Frozen Four is one of my favorite events. College hockey fans come from all over the country, regardless of whether their team in in the tourney. Like the other fans, we proudly wore our Wisconsin sweaters, and saw others from Maine, Northeastern, Michigan State, Cornell, etc., etc. Unlike the Final Four, most bowl games, and the Super Bowl, it really feels like an event for the fans. It is always held in a real hockey venue, so you aren't sitting high in a football stadium trying to see the game.

Next year in Buffalo! Let's hope the Badgers make another appearance!

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”