Is it time to boycott Football?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is it time to boycott Football?

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Paleo2 wrote:Agreed.

Thing is, with so many good players getting injured, the game is much less watchable.

I agree with this. The Packers without Aaron Rodgers are the Patriots without Tom Brady. Even before Aaron Rodgers got injured, the offensive line was destroyed by injuries. It's the nature of the game as currently played.I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 am

Ryan Shazier's Spinal Injury Is 'Severe'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ryan-shazier ... 08396.html

"Shazier was carted off the field Monday, apparently unable to move his legs, after making a head-first tackle in a game against the host Cincinnati Bengals. Alessi, who does not treat Shazier, told ESPN Thursday that the athlete “may not play football again.” “This is a much more severe situation on our hands than we thought,” he said."

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Drew Brees says that Thursday Night Football causes more injuries, because the players don't have time to heal from their wounds the previous Sunday.

But, TNT brings in more money, so isn't that the most important thing?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748 ... y-not-safe

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am

Turns out there is a big drop in support for football among fans and also among parents of potential players.

The biggest drop off in fans is among Trump supporters. Maybe the former USFL owner is finally getting his revenge?

As for the pipeline, fewer parents want their kids to play youth football. I can understand this. I remember years ago when some of the wide receivers on the local HS football team tried to get my son to try out for WR. He went to a few spring WR practices, but never went to a summer practice. He found a different, safer, sport which he still plays at the college level.

With all the stuff that had come out in the past few years, I am SO glad he didn’t choose football.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Don't know about TV viewership, but attendance is down at all levels. Even though the Badgers had a great season, Camp Randall was often not sold out. The athletic department says to make up for the lost revenue they are considering increasing student ticket prices, since they still show up and student season tickets always sell out.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 pm

the national anthem controversy is, according to various people, everything from a huge part of it with even more stored up to less than nothing, but i would think maybe it is starting out with impeccable intentions and somehow flubbing the executiion . . . it is a real issue -- having 19+ per cent of the population feeling, with adequate, point-source reason, that they may be hunted by the law enforcement organisations when out minding their own business has to be, at a minimum, an intermediate-term threat to the intact survival of a liberal civic democracy operating in a democratic republic . . . maybe a few players on each team should have written a dozen or so short speeches on the matter and spring them on reporters from time to time through the season . . .

highly-paid dumb guys they are? no, not really, the highly-paid part might contradict the dumb part, or not, but they have to earn all that in a few years and at any point the clock could run out with a shattered leg or whatever, so i figure they make their scratch as honestly as most other people do . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 pm

In the specific case of the Badgers, they just have too few quality opponents at home. I don't blame people for not wanting to waste time and money on a glorified scrimmage with a predetermined outcome. And the opponents worth watching like LSU and Notre Dame aren't played at Camp Randall. That's just not going to cut it no matter how good the Badgers are.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Paleo2 wrote:As for the pipeline, fewer parents want their kids to play youth football. I can understand this. I remember years ago when some of the wide receivers on the local HS football team tried to get my son to try out for WR. He went to a few spring WR practices, but never went to a summer practice. He found a different, safer, sport which he still plays at the college level.

With all the stuff that had come out in the past few years, I am SO glad he didn’t choose football.

No kids should be playing tackle football. Translational Psychiatry did a huge study on this last year, breaking the cohorts into groups older than or equal to 12 years old when they first started playing, or if they were younger than 12. Nearly two-thirds of the <12 cohort have a diagnosed psychiatric illness, while 55 percent of the =>12 cohort have a disagnosed condition. For comparison's sake, the rate of psychiatric illnesses in the entire U.S. population is 19 percent. So if your kid plays football, he's basically looking to almost triple his chances of developing a mental disease or disorder.

Long story short, football is no bueno for your brain, and that's a huge part of why I stopped watching a few years ago and why I do not believe professional football in its current form will be around in 20 years.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

timby wrote:
Long story short, football is no bueno for your brain, and that's a huge part of why I stopped watching a few years ago and why I do not believe professional football in its current form will be around in 20 years.

so there is actually something to the grab all that u can grab gestalt that appears to surround the n f l -- at some point it may be the equivalent of how one imagines there were probably people fucking their brains out on the titanic at the last minute . . .

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 am

@gozer;

one imagines there were probably people fucking their brains out on the titanic at the last minute . . .

Veddy Interestink! Might the...um...position to which you refer be ”crisis-sparked romance?”

Like the condition Heidi Postlewait wrote of in ”Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures”?

“ripping off her boyfriend’s clothes immediately after coming under sniper fire in Somalia (‘It has to be right now, not in ten minutes, not five … Emergency sex’)”?

Or like the MASH episode where Hawkeye & Hotlips canoodled after holing up in an abandoned hut after getting shelled while returning from working a forward aid station?

Meaning, a fast-n-furious emotional buildup requiring an…um…immediate physical release?

But the horizontal zug-zug usually follows the event rather than preceding it.

IMHO, Titanic couplers would've been steerage passengers, rich fucks like Caledon Hockley (Billy Zane in "Titanic") were too busy trying to save their pampered @$$e$.

The Gotch

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm

i have also heard the term "vortex sex" -- sort of like the vortex public figure and the vortex bisexual . . . and describing all cases, not just in tornadoes . . . the second term originated in a court case which was a clarification on the new york times v sullivan-related doctrines . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:54 am

topical butt-enlarging cream

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”