Packers 2017

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers 2017

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:17 pm

doppel wrote:
And X-Mayor Dave, why would anyone want an out of football-shape, public-relations-situation(in Japan there is no word for problem) with a lifetime quarterback rating of 86?

His career QB rating is actually 89, 20 points higher than Hundley's. By all accounts, he's kept himself in good shape. The ridiculous overreaction to his silent, peaceful protest is the only reason he is unemployed.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

HawkHead wrote:
gargantua wrote:Hey, let's try a 57 yard field goal! Nobody beat 53,so it's a lockright?

McCarthy said Crosby was hitting 57 yarders in warm ups. He took a huge gamble that I didn't agree with.

A reporter asked MM if he knew how long the longest FG made at Three Rivers Stadium was. I thought MM response was priceless. I have 40 seconds to make the call. I didn't have time to look up the record.

I'd call that borderline negligent, not priceless. You don't need to know the exact distance of the record, but if you're not aware of the difficulty in kicking field goals in that stadium, you're woefully unprepared. And Crosby's longest on the year is only 50 yards. To claim that the choice to kick the field goal in that situation was a no-brainer was ludicrous.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I was literally screaming at the TV while they were lining up. Almost any other choice, including a quarterback sneak, would have been better than trying that kick.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm

O.J. wrote:
doppel wrote:
And X-Mayor Dave, why would anyone want an out of football-shape, public-relations-situation(in Japan there is no word for problem) with a lifetime quarterback rating of 86?

His career QB rating is actually 89, 20 points higher than Hundley's. By all accounts, he's kept himself in good shape. The ridiculous overreaction to his silent, peaceful protest is the only reason he is unemployed.

I think ex-Mayor Dave was more interested in making a political point than what is in the best long-term interests of the Green Bay Packers. Had the Pack signed Kaep, it would've been just for the remainder of this season. The Packers are so riddled with injuries, their chances of making it to the playoffs with anyone except Rodgers were rather slim.

So, McCarthy had two choices:

1. Go for an older, more experienced, but more expensive QB who doesn't seem to know how to avoid getting sacked, and only have him play for the rest of the season, or

2. Give the young promising backup QB a chance to get some real game time experience, against real NFL D in real NFL games.

After this past Sunday, it looks like Hundley is finally learning how to play in the NFL.

Remember, very few QBs are hot right out of the gate. It is a learning process. Rodgers spent a few years on the bench as Farve's backup, learning the system, and got clobbered his first year as starter, going what, 4-12?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Paleo2 wrote:1. Go for an older, more experienced, but more expensive QB who doesn't seem to know how to avoid getting sacked, and only have him play for the rest of the season, or

2. Give the young promising backup QB a chance to get some real game time experience, against real NFL D in real NFL games.

I think the bigger issue is showing loyalty to the guy that you specifically trained for this purpose, and frankly, loyalty to the staff that decided to draft him. Why even give the second QB any snaps in practice if you don't give them a shot when they are needed?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm

O.J. wrote:
HawkHead wrote:
gargantua wrote:Hey, let's try a 57 yard field goal! Nobody beat 53,so it's a lockright?

McCarthy said Crosby was hitting 57 yarders in warm ups. He took a huge gamble that I didn't agree with.

A reporter asked MM if he knew how long the longest FG made at Three Rivers Stadium was. I thought MM response was priceless. I have 40 seconds to make the call. I didn't have time to look up the record.

I'd call that borderline negligent, not priceless. You don't need to know the exact distance of the record, but if you're not aware of the difficulty in kicking field goals in that stadium, you're woefully unprepared. And Crosby's longest on the year is only 50 yards. To claim that the choice to kick the field goal in that situation was a no-brainer was ludicrous.

Crosby has made a 58 yarder In his career. He is a little over 50% from 50+.

I didn’t like the call either. Nobody said it was a no brainer. I like that he said during a game you don’t have time to google information.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Paleo2 wrote:
O.J. wrote:
doppel wrote:

I think ex-Mayor Dave was more interested in making a political point than what is in the best long-term interests of the Green Bay Packers. Had the Pack signed Kaep, it would've been just for the remainder of this season. The Packers are so riddled with injuries, their chances of making it to the playoffs with anyone except Rodgers were rather slim.

So, McCarthy had two choices:

1. Go for an older, more experienced, but more expensive QB who doesn't seem to know how to avoid getting sacked, and only have him play for the rest of the season, or

After this past Sunday, it looks like Hundley is finally learning how to play in the NFL.

Remember, very few QBs are hot right out of the gate. It is a learning process. Rodgers spent a few years on the bench as Farve's backup, learning the system, and got clobbered his first year as starter, going what, 4-12?

They went 6-10.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:12 am

HawkHead wrote:
They went 6-10.

Thank you

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 am

Igor wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:1. Go for an older, more experienced, but more expensive QB who doesn't seem to know how to avoid getting sacked, and only have him play for the rest of the season, or

I think the bigger issue is showing loyalty to the guy that you specifically trained for this purpose, and frankly, loyalty to the staff that decided to draft him. Why even give the second QB any snaps in practice if you don't give them a shot when they are needed?

Well put.

Also, loyalty to the QB coaches who trained him.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

HawkHead wrote:
O.J. wrote:
HawkHead wrote:

I didn’t like the call either. Nobody said it was a no brainer. I like that he said during a game you don’t have time to google information.

My bad on the no-brainer comment; in a prime example of confirmation bias, I misread an article.

I'm not a fan of his "google" comment, as that information should be common knowledge for someone in his position.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm

O.J. wrote:
HawkHead wrote:
O.J. wrote:

My bad on the no-brainer comment; in a prime example of confirmation bias, I misread an article.

I'm not a fan of his "google" comment, as that information should be common knowledge for someone in his position.

Still makes no sense to me. Shouldn’t the Pitt coach have know that also? Should he have passed on the fg that won the game for Pitt? It is now the longest fg ever at 3 Rivers.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

HawkHead wrote:
O.J. wrote:
HawkHead wrote:

Still makes no sense to me. Shouldn’t the Pitt coach have know that also? Should he have passed on the fg that won the game for Pitt? It is now the longest fg ever at 3 Rivers.

They were two completely different situations. Pittsburgh had little choice in the waning seconds, and a missed field goal wouldn't have cost them much. The Packers miss gave the Steelers the ball near midfield with a few minutes left in the third.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am

I think the Packers' playoff hopes pretty much died last night. The Pack need to win out, AND get a lot of help. The biggest help they needed was for the Saints to beat the Falcons. The Falcons victory last night means the Falcons are almost certainly in if they can win 2 of their last 3 games, or if both the Cowboys and the Packers lose at least one game the Falcons only need one more win.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:15 am

Paleo2 wrote:I think the Packers' playoff hopes pretty much died last night. The Pack need to win out, AND get a lot of help. The biggest help they needed was for the Saints to beat the Falcons. The Falcons victory last night means the Falcons are almost certainly in if they can win 2 of their last 3 games, or if both the Cowboys and the Packers lose at least one game the Falcons only need one more win.

They pretty much died when Rodgers broke his collarbone. After Thursday night the nurse is reaching for the power cord to the life support system.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:06 pm

If it makes you guys feel any better, the Packers haven't always been great. Nor have they always made great decisions...

The Pack will rise again!

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”