Fear the deer

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fear the deer

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 am

i think all of state road 60 is one of the worst in north america for deer collisons, and a couple of people have hit moose on there in the past few decades as well . . .

who shoots doves? do they even taste any good? by the way, both of prince's pet doves, the ones listed as backup vocals on at least one recording, have now passed away -- as if that situation was not already too much to take . . .

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 am

gozer wrote:i think all of state road 60 is one of the worst in north america for deer collisons, and a couple of people have hit moose on there in the past few decades as well . . .

Hwy 60 from Gotham to Muscoda on the Wisconsin River is nice... Or Hwy 133 from Lone Rock towards Avoca starting at the infamous "target" cliff... Authorities found a crocodile meandering along the river banks at Lone Rock couple years ago.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 am

jonnygothispen wrote:
gozer wrote:i think all of state road 60 is one of the worst in north america for deer collisons, and a couple of people have hit moose on there in the past few decades as well . . .

Hwy 60 from Gotham to Muscoda on the Wisconsin River is nice... Or Hwy 133 from Lone Rock towards Avoca starting at the infamous "target" cliff... Authorities found a crocodile meandering along the river banks at Lone Rock couple years ago.

the target cliff is the one that people have hit at high rates of speed, often on purpose, so they put a net in front of it, correct? i think that is where someone i know swerved to miss two deer and hit an opossum with 20 babies in the pouch, which ended up saving 7 of them because didelphis virginiana linnaeus 1753 only has 13 nipples . . . 18 went back in the wild after being taken care of and being nursed by a couple of cats in addition to geting extra milk out of an eye dropper, and two of them ended up being unreleasable and live in a little house in her back garden with a covered walkway into the garage and sometimes go around to schools and so forth . . . people are also fishing pacu (colossoma macropomum kennedy & eigenmann 1903) out of the wisconsin river semi-regularly now too; they are the vegetarian relatives of piranhas wih quasi-human dentition -- catching one anywhere could be quite a shock to a lot of people. not as much as an electric eel (electrophorus electricus gill 1864) of course . . .

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 am

Well, if you turn North down County Hwy TB 1/2 mile west of Gotham towards Muscoda and in season, you'll hit the trail of last ribbits-dead and soon-to-be-dead toads whose ancestors Jim Morrison warbled about in Riders of the Storm.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Thriller in the Bradley... New stadium is coming along nicely too.

Update: no one fears a deer caught in the headlights.

Milwaukee was fun, though. There's still an old world feel in certain neighborhoods. We ate at a place just off the Interstate, North of Miller Park. $17.99 for the 4-piece chicken "Daily Special." Fortunately, it was happy hour, so I could buy a pint of Mai Bock for $4 instead. That was my meal. I'm still too much of a tightwad from the homeless years to spend that much on a meal.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri May 25, 2018 3:27 pm

Old bldng closes Aug 10 to Sept 7. New bldng opens Sept 13. Why can't most of the 650 workers keep their jobs at the new bldng?

Milwaukee Bucks arena closure to eliminate 650 jobs
https://www.channel3000.com/news/money/ ... /746207708

"The letter says the BMO Harris Bradley Center will be closed in anticipation of a new arena for the team. The closure will mean a loss of 45 full-time and more than 600 part-time positions...

Closing operations will begin Aug. 10 and are expected to be completed Sept. 7. The new $524 million arena will support about 620 jobs once it's operational. The first announced event at the new facility is a Sept. 13 show by comic Kevin Hart."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm not sure that some, or even most of them won't be re-employed once the new building is up and running. The excerpt you posted didn't say where the 620 people needed to operate the new building were coming from.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

32-12. Best record in nba now.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 am

Shorty wrote:32-12. Best record in nba now.

They're fun to watch. It reminds me of the Lew Alcindor led Bucks in 1970. I used to stay home to watch the match-up with Wilt Chamberlain.

We lived in Greendale then, where their starting forward, Jon McGlocklin#14, still lives.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:01 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
Shorty wrote:32-12. Best record in nba now.

They're fun to watch. It reminds me of the Lew Alcindor led Bucks in 1970. I used to stay home to watch the match-up with Wilt Chamberlain.

We lived in Greendale then, where their starting forward, Jon McGlocklin#14, still lives.

I don't know why exactly, but I used to really enjoy the NBA back then, and don't much care for it now, even though the Bucks are good. (34-12 at the moment). Too many timeouts and too many fouls late in games make it hard to watch. If I had my way, I'd have players foul out with 5 like college, and take away a timeout per half. Neither of which will ever happen.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm

gargantua wrote:I don't know why exactly, but I used to really enjoy the NBA back then, and don't much care for it now, even though the Bucks are good. (34-12 at the moment). Too many timeouts and too many fouls late in games make it hard to watch. If I had my way, I'd have players foul out with 5 like college, and take away a timeout per half. Neither of which will ever happen.

I tried to shy away from sports because it feels so strange to watch a bunch of millionaires in a bigger sandbox, but then I realized it's the meager food we're given to keep our minds off of the other millionaires in control of everything else.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 am

one of the neighbours was showing me what happened when a deer flew over the car in front of her and she steered quickly enough to keep it from going through the windscreen but it still hit the corner of the car and crumpled the bonnet and obliterated one of the headlights and running light combo . . . how can something so fuzzy be so destructive, I wonder? bones, of course . . . bones on metal at 130+ km/h . . .

"those motherfuckers enjoy it, just like the al-aqsa martyrs' brigade and al-qaida" said one of the others gathered around, an accomplished deer hunter who managed somehow to take down several moose in the state as well . . . he has found 365 ways to cook venison it seems. "u cooked bambi!" someone once said to him. "yum yum" he apparently replied . . .

i figured deer were here since the last ice age and roads are a very new thing to them, like day two for humans finding something totally mind-blowing. i am told that they don't seem to have the intelligence and ability to impart culture to their young like raccoons, but raccoons get hit too. every time i see a dead one on the road i can't help but yell "nooooooooo!" so there we have the two extremes of opinion, i guess. opossums are also smarter than a lot of people think and. like raccoons and perhaps porcupines, are rapidly evolving towards a higher form. those three and the crows could be running everything in 250 000 years for all we know . . .

actually i have seen dead hawks and falcons on the road too . . . the hwy 14 bridge under the belt line seemed to be full of feathers for months on end a few years back. i wonder how fast someone was driving, or if we have some automotive animal assassins on the loose . . . falco peregrinus tunstall 1771 can see prey at 15 km and dive at nearly 400 km/h but one was splattered all over u s 51 not too long ago

cold and/or deep-snow weeks and months like this are why raccoons gorge themselves in the autumn . . . they will just sleep it off and can do so and do in places like central manitoba for up to five months and maintain almost the same body temperature, so it is torpor or aestivation rather than hibernation . . . torpor is briefly accessible to humans with two bottles of vodka but not very healthy . . . but enough miss emma and one's body temperature will fall a bit as their metabolism falls towards zero for a time . . . keep it up and one will live to 120 . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am

Paleo2 wrote:Interesting fact:

Dane County has the most car - deer collisions of any county in the state. Other counties either have lots of deer and not so many people, or lots of people and not so many deer.

The only bucks getting smashed in Milwaukee county are on the court

i've seen deer and coyotes within the city limits of milwaukee and there is actually a deer- and bird-feeding research station in wauwatosa isn't there? of course the deer have more of a chance on, say, 35th street than on the interstate out in a rural area because of the difference in speed limit and prevailing speed of vehicles . . .

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”