Super Bowl

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Super Bowl

Postby Shorty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 am

Never heard of the 1958 game. Interesting.

We're up to six Patriots players who have publicly said they won't visit the White House
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/were-up-to ... 33255.html

"Running back LeGarrette Blount, defensive end Chris Long, linebacker Dont’a Hightower and defensive tackle Alan Branch have joined Bennett and McCourty in saying they won’t go to visit Trump in the White House."

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

They found the missing Jersey, along with other missing souvenirs from past Super Bowls in Mexico.

Build the Wall!

Or not. I hope that particular news organization is banned from the Super Bowl from now on.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 pm

MPMay wrote:In 1958, just as the NFL was beginning to garner a lot of attention, the Baltimore Colts defeated the New York Giants for the NFL Championship. The game was televised nationally, and is credited with putting the NFL on the sports table of America.

Although it was the 26th NFL Title game, it was the first to go into overtime. The Colts won in the gloaming, as Alan Ameche, former UW star and Heisman Trophy winner, scored the winning touchdown in sudden death.

For years, it has been known as The Greatest Game Ever Played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_ ... nship_Game

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/grea ... er-played/

Tom Landry coached the defense for the Giants, & Vince Lombardi coached the Giants offense in that game. Apparently, their head coach mostly ran the endurance drills, but that was it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
MPMay wrote:In 1958, just as the NFL was beginning to garner a lot of attention, the Baltimore Colts defeated the New York Giants for the NFL Championship. The game was televised nationally, and is credited with putting the NFL on the sports table of America.

Although it was the 26th NFL Title game, it was the first to go into overtime. The Colts won in the gloaming, as Alan Ameche, former UW star and Heisman Trophy winner, scored the winning touchdown in sudden death.

For years, it has been known as The Greatest Game Ever Played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_ ... nship_Game

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/grea ... er-played/

Tom Landry coached the defense for the Giants, & Vince Lombardi coached the Giants offense in that game. Apparently, their head coach mostly ran the endurance drills, but that was it.

One thing that I learned during my career is how important it is to know how to hire the right person for a given job. I wasn't great at anything in particular, but I was very good at hiring people who were. Apparently, the guy who ran the endurance drills was a good judge of talent. That's priceless.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am

... He didn't hire them, but he did give them total control over the offense & defense.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Turns out some media are reporting that the Philadelphia phans weren't always particularly well-behaved.

Having lived in the Philly area, I can only say this is about as surprising as having the sun rise in the east. I've seen some bad behavior from fans in the old Yankee Stadium, and the old Shea Stadium, but Philly fans are the least civilized. I was rather pleasantly surprised the times I've been to Lambeau Field or Miller Park how more civilized fans in Wisconsin are.

And don't compare Philly fans to Oakland fans. Oakland fans are pussycats. Remember when Favre's father died, and the next day Favre had a great game in Oakland? The Oakland fans cheered him on. Philly fans booed Santa Clause. When Destiny's Child played an intermission in the Spectrum for an NBA Championship game, the phans booed Destiny's Child.

I remember seeing a rock concert in the Philly area once. The Phans didn't like the backup band, so it was constant boos from beginning to end for the poor warm-up band. And this was a Prog Rock concert! (Gentle Giant was the main act, and they were treated quite warmly. I forget the poor backup band). If Philly Phans are that hostile at a Prog Rock concert, imagine how nasty they can be at a sporting event.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Super Bowl tickets are most expensive ever. Who buys these? Mind boggling.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/guess- ... 55204.html

"Website Low High
SeatGeek $3,380 $55,000
Vivid Seats $3,441 $57,306
StubHub $3,550 $66,655
NFL Exchange $4,290 $40,000

Keep in mind that most of these ticket prices, however, don't include various fees that these resellers tack on, which can add significantly to the cost. Oh, and you'll probably need to pay for travel and a hotel room, too."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Minny's gearing up for the Viking-less game.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Minny's gearing up for the Viking-less game.

I'm sure they'll be good hosts, despite the disappointment of the crushing loss.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Eagles 24-Pats 21

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Super Bowl LII

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 am

I hope so but Pats usually find a way to win. Will steal signals or deflate Philly's balls. Pats 20 Phil 16. Which UW back will get the ring, Clement or White?

Western Wisconsin cashing in on Super Bowl
https://www.channel3000.com/news/wester ... /695461187

"Hotel rooms in Hudson are going for as much as $500 a night. In nearby New Richmond, the regional airport will land more than two dozen private jets. U.S. Bank Stadium in downtown Minneapolis is about a 45-minute drive. The State Journal says homeowners are listing their properties on Airbnb and other online sites for top dollar. A four-bedroom house in Hudson is renting for $1,250 a night with a five-night minimum."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Refs 26, Eagles 24.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 pm

I think it will be close. Philly 5 concussions, two broken bones. Pats 4 concussions, torn ACL, ankle sprain.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 am

I'll be cheering for Philadelphia. If I were a betting man, I'm not sure that is where my money would be.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”