Super Bowl

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Super Bowl

Postby Shorty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 am

How much will Atlanta win by? 10? 20?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Super Bowl

Postby HawkHead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 am

Lose by 3 says Vegas. Pats are the favorite.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am

Shorty's posts about sports are a mixture of Kellyanne Conway's alternative facts and Roy's general ignorance. This gives me confidence today.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 am

I'm hoping for an Atlanta upset.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:45 am

gargantua wrote:I'm hoping for an Atlanta upset.

You and everyone outside of New England, and I can't really blame you.

Atlanta's center, Alex Mack, is going to try and play with a fractured fibula. That may be enough to swing a very close match up. Should be a good one.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:39 pm

27-24 Falcons. I am a temporary Falcon fan, and a lifetime Patriots hater.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 pm

O.J. wrote:
gargantua wrote:I'm hoping for an Atlanta upset.

You and everyone outside of New England, and I can't really blame you.

Atlanta's center, Alex Mack, is going to try and play with a fractured fibula. That may be enough to swing a very close match up. Should be a good one.

I'd only root for the Patriots if they were playing the Cowboys. I hate them more than any other team.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Holy fucking crap! I never thought I'd see anything that came close to Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, but...but...Holy shit! Greatest football game EVAAAAAAHHH!

And James White is the man. On Wisconsin!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:58 pm

O.J. wrote:Holy fucking crap! I never thought I'd see anything that came close to Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, but...but...Holy shit! Greatest football game EVAAAAAAHHH!

And James White is the man. On Wisconsin!

Agreed. I thought he had a strong case for MVP, except he wasn't a famous quarterback. To be fair, Brady was very on point when it mattered most.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 am

Brady has fully inflated balls. Ha ha.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

Biggest playoff collapse ever. Atlanta blew it.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Just two so far.

One by one, black New England Patriots players are refusing to visit Donald Trump's White House
https://mic.com/articles/167843/one-by- ... .jalQU47Gm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I bet Brady will show up.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 pm

In 1958, just as the NFL was beginning to garner a lot of attention, the Baltimore Colts defeated the New York Giants for the NFL Championship. The game was televised nationally, and is credited with putting the NFL on the sports table of America.

Although it was the 26th NFL Title game, it was the first to go into overtime. The Colts won in the gloaming, as Alan Ameche, former UW star and Heisman Trophy winner, scored the winning touchdown in sudden death.

For years, it has been known as The Greatest Game Ever Played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_ ... nship_Game

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/grea ... er-played/

I submit that the Super Bowl this year will eclipse the Greatest Game Ever Played, and will become the new Greatest Game Ever Played.

First, you can look at the subplots. The hated, cheating Patriots. The Evil Empire. The wronged Patriots, by the other Evil Empire, led by Darth Roger Goodell.

The lovable losers, the Falcons, who dominate for 3/4 of the game. Finally some redemption! Then their jerk of an owner, in a hubristic moment, comes down to the field to be present for his coronation. Oh, the karma!

Second, the game itself, with all the great plays and mistakes. The stupid decisions by the Falcons: On the 21 yard line with a chance for a FG to ice the game in the 4th quarter and you don't play some Barryball? Run it twice and kick and you are champs. But no, we are going to show you how smart we are. Soon out of FG range, the only way Captain America can get a chance to rally and win.

The amazing Patriot catch to keep the tying drive alive. The winning TD in sudden death, again scored by a former University of Wisconsin running back, James White (making 2 UW grads the only players to score the winning TD in NFL overtime championship games).

The incredulity of overcoming a 25 point deficit in the second half and a 19 point deficit in the 4th quarter. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??!?!??! It includes two 2pt extra points.

Third, overtime. What? Never have OT in the Super Bowl. It exposes the NFL to all the debate about the OT rules. And the sudden death winner.

Fourth, the post game. The awkward moment with Goodell being booed while handing the trophy to the reps of the Evil Empire, Brady and Kraft.

We have a new Greatest Game Ever Played.

And just remember, if you want to win the Greatest Game Ever Played, give the ball to a running back from Wisconsin.

KyleKent

Postby KyleKent » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:05 pm

MPMay wrote:And just remember, if you want to win the Greatest Game Ever Played, give the ball to a running back from Wisconsin.

I couldn't agree with you more, you broke down the game in an amazing fashion :clap: even as of today it still hasn't really sunk in that the Patriot's won that game, I will chock that up to the confusion over the last touchdown (which even patriots players were confused by). You touched on two things here that I really liked though. The first being the importance of the running back from Wisconsin (what a game!!) and secondly the hubris of the Atlanta Falcons owner. As soon as I saw him present on the field, I knew that the New England Patriots were going to make an amazing comeback effort, which they did.

I can say without a doubt, that that was the greatest super bowl game I have ever watched. Hopefully next year Aaron Rodgers can lead Green bay to the super bowl and clinch the victory with one of his many amazing hail marys, maybe then there will be a new 'greatest superbowl game'.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”