Colin Kaepernick

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Postby Paleo2 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 am

Cadfael wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:I just say it goes to show we care way too much about what celebs say and do.

Agreed.

The flip side is that giving those celebs that much power also gives them responsibility. They have been elevated to royalty status, and royalty comes with its own duties. Colin was willing to put his career on the line for his values. They made an example of him and he is accepting his fate with no apologies.

No matter what Roseanne says about "I blame myself" at the same time she blames 2AM and Ambien, she is trying to back away from her own actions.

One of them accepts the responsibility, the other won't acknowledge the responsibility exists.

Excellent analysis

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed May 30, 2018 11:49 am

Paleo2 wrote:I am trying to figure out if there is any difference between the treatment of Rosanne Barr and Colin Kaepernick.

The situations are pretty different. Roseanne's problem is that someone dumb enough to think that stuff is probably also dumb enough to tweet about it. Kaepernick's only problem was that he horribly misjudged how protesting during the national anthem would immediately deviate from a discussion about the topic he wanted to discuss.

Kneeling after every touchdown pass would have given him almost as much visibility with almost no controversy, and a better chance that the topic actually gets discussed. Think about how much breath was wasted when Tebow kneeled after touchdowns.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Both ABC & Colin Kaepernick made statements against racism instead of ignoring it like the NFL & Roseanne hope(d) people will do, with the NFL taking it a step further by punishing people who take a stand.

The real common denominator is "money wins."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 pm

Now Trump has cancelled the White House visit for the Philadelphia Eagles (Super Bowl champs) because of this dispute.

Digging deeper into a culture war that he's repeatedly stoked, President Donald Trump on Monday called off a visit by the Philadelphia Eagles to the White House Tuesday, citing the dispute over whether NFL players must stand during the playing of the national anthem.

Maybe if the Eagles promise to consider giving up their nukes, Trump will reschedule the visit.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now Trump has cancelled the White House visit for the Philadelphia Eagles (Super Bowl champs) because of this dispute.

Digging deeper into a culture war that he's repeatedly stoked, President Donald Trump on Monday called off a visit by the Philadelphia Eagles to the White House Tuesday, citing the dispute over whether NFL players must stand during the playing of the national anthem.

Maybe if the Eagles promise to consider giving up their nukes, Trump will reschedule the visit.

Revenge for the former USFL owner.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now Trump has cancelled the White House visit for the Philadelphia Eagles (Super Bowl champs) because of this dispute.

Trump's base doesn't like rich black athletes. He's playing to them, like he always does.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 am

No Eagle players knelt during the National Anthem last season. Yet FOX News showed pictures of some players kneeling, only it was in prayer well before the Anthem was played. Typical disingenuous fake news on their part.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:No Eagle players knelt during the National Anthem last season. Yet FOX News showed pictures of some players kneeling, only it was in prayer well before the Anthem was played. Typical disingenuous fake news on their part.

Fox News is very valuable.

Were it not for Fox News, we wouldn’t know about the palm trees in the state capitol.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

@Henry Vilas;

Typical disingenuous fake news on their part.

Ha ha, that's great-n-typical, am I right? Like when they aired this picture:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/ ... 129438.jpg

Wait a minute.

FoxNews ONLY aired that 2014 picture to show how monumentally gullible Lefties (most, not all) are for believing that it was, you know, like, Trump?

Never mind.

Ah Lefty; so MUCH hypocrisy, so little time!

The Gotch

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:08 pm

It looks like Kaep is a big winner.

He is getting millions a year from Nike for NOT playing football. Plus, he may or may not get millions from the NFL for not being hired. This is money he would not have been able to get had he been, say, a backup.

So, he gets the money without the brain damage from all the hits.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm

The article in Alternet raises some interesting points.
First, let’s understand that Nike does not have a conscience. It is a business first and foremost. And that business is to sell shoes and clothing to people starting somewhere around twelve and stretching into at least the mid to late thirties. They have no desire to support Kaepernick no matter what they say. If it was in their best interests they would ban his image from everything they do without a thought.

And they make Kaepernick the face of their campaign. They believe the people who buy their shoes support Kaepernick, respect him, want to be like him. Think about that — a man who has been decried publicly by the President of the United States, blackballed by his employers, almost wiped clean of mention from the network that reports on sports. He has challenged the existential existence of the most popular sport in America based on his convictions about a more just America. Any yet Nike believes he should be the face of their company in their most important advertising campaign, because the people who buy sneakers want to be like him.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey, I'm 65. I'm in great shape and I wear Nike sportswear...very well. I'm going to step up my purchases, and buy stock. Maybe my wife and I are outliers. Or, maybe people our age should get their ass off the couch and be able to wear their products. It's a win-win. Outlive the fat, lazy, stupid, Trump base.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Nike is trying to present a cool woke corporate image.

And for the consumer, what better way to show how woke you are than buying shoes made in sweat shops, which pays millions to a controversial figure to give them a nice edgy image.

And ignore the problems of sexual misconduct.

Edit to add:

Full disclosure, I do own some Nike sneakers. Probably got them cheap in Johnson Creek. I don’t pretend to be a saint. If someone knows a brand of comparable price and quality that doesn’t exploit their workers, I would love to hear about it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I don't own or care about their sneakers. I don't care who made them. I assume that the people who work for Nike could choose not to.
Right?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Paleo2 wrote:If someone knows a brand of comparable price and quality that doesn’t exploit their workers, I would love to hear about it.

I do not believe there exists a mass-produced product that does not involve exploited or enslaved workers in some form. If you consider the collection of the raw materials like the ore, thread, cloth, et cetera, it wasn't obtained without forced labor of some kind.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”