Colin Kaepernick

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm

HawkHead wrote:If Kap was good enough to play he would be on an NFL roster.

Passer rating is an imperfect statistic, but if you look at the numbers, it's hard to come to that conclusion. His career rating is 89. Last year it was 91. Here are the ratings for some QBs this year: Brissett 82, Trubisky 80, Flacco 78, Hundley 78, Mariota 77, Siemian 74, Savage 71, Kizer 61. There's simply no argument to make that he's not, at the very least, one of the Top 64 quarterbacks in the league.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Its sort of like the disparity in punishmemt between drug crimes and domestic abuse. For the strangest reason that I can't understand, domestic abuse is still treated pretty lightly, which means it's still too socially acceptable. I think it's the same with Kaepernick who accidentally pulled the mask off of the phony patriotism promoted by the NFL-"accidentally" because I believe he only intended to draw attention to abusive police. But the NFL showed it's true colors by blacklisting him instead.

And it's the same disparity with penalties for deliberate helmet-to-helmet hits compared to penalties for using PEDs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 pm

HawkHead wrote:
O.J. wrote:
gargantua wrote:Might be good to have a capable backup to Foles though. I don't know how they're situated in that regard now.

This. Exactly this.

You don't have to bring him in to be a starter, but to add quality depth in case of injury. You know, like any decent GM does every year. Foles' backup is Nate Sudfeld. Good luck winning games with him under center.

The same goes for Green Bay, who would have been fucked if Hundley got hurt. As it is, his three wins came against teams with a combined record of 8-31.

All these excuses about it being too late in the season are just that -- excuses. And bad ones. Because if it wasn't for his perceived baggage, Kaepernick would be on someone's roster.

I’m laughing after reading these two posts.

There are maybe 15-20 competent NFL QBs in the league and 32 starting jobs.

The NFL is a success driven league. If you win you stay, if you lose you are fired. Look at McAdo for the Giants and their GM. Cleveland’s GM has been fried.

If Kap was good enough to play he would be on an NFL roster. I think he really doesn’t want to play any more. I can’t believe no teams have called to kick the tires. I know if my job was on the line I would bring in Kap if it would save my head.

I'm happy that you're amused. To be absolutely clear, I'm not talking about bringing him in to be a starter. This is about a playoff-bound team having an experienced back-up.
Nate Sudfeld coming in and winning a playoff game? You're kidding, right?

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I don't think there is really anything anyone can add to this thread.

I truly doubt Colin Kaepernick will ever play in the NFL again. He could play in the CFL, but I doubt he wants to.

We can argue about how good he is, or how unfair the situation is, or whatever.

Fact is, after the bad publicity from kneeling, there were very few teams willing to give him a chance. For whatever reason, those few teams did not hire him. We know the rumors why, but we don't know the facts.

Filing a claim for collusion is a Hail Mary pass. It is only a last resort when he knows there is no team that will hire him, ever. About like the Trump-led lawsuit by the USFL against the NFL.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Kaepernick had the brilliance to talk wistfully about Fidel Castro, while wearing a Castro/Malcom X T-Shirt to Miami. Hilarity ensued!

The result? The Dolphins take Cryin' Jay Cutler off'n the offal heap instead of signing a complete addlepate parading as a Social Justice Warrior.

Not only that, but Columnist/Cuban émigré Armando Salguero positively eviscerates him.

"Unrepentant hypocrite Colin Kaepernick defends Fidel Castro"

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... 33883.html

No worries, I'm sure @O.J. still pines for his sweat socks!

The Gotch

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

@Idiot - you're an idiot.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm

@Bland;

Aww, touch a nerve, did I?

No worries, you can still wear your "Colin Kaepernick" T-Shirt around and no one in the know will make fun of you.

Not when there's so many other aspects of your miserable existence to mine.

The Gotch

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Cornelius Gotchberg wrote:Aww, touch a nerve, did I?

Not in the least, but it is telling you responded to a post addressed to @Idiot, isn't it?
You're too easy. Thanks for the laugh, Chuckles.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Bland wrote:@Idiot - you're an idiot.

Our new village idiot still pines for Generalissimo Francisco Franco.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

@Bland & @Henry Vilas say "What?"

The Gotch

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 pm

A Ned sockpuppet?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 am

Baseball kneeler in trouble for gun violation.

A's catcher Bruce Maxwell can't travel to Canada after disorderly conduct incident
https://sports.yahoo.com/catcher-bruce- ... 37919.html

"Maxwell was charged with disorderly conduct and aggravated assault last October after allegedly pointing a gun at a food delivery person. Maxwell reached a plea deal in which he will plead guilty to disorderly conduct, but he hasn’t been sentenced yet. That’s why he will not be able to travel to Canada. Maxwell’s sentencing will take place June 4.

The 27-year-old Maxwell captured the baseball world’s attention when he became the first Major League Baseball player to kneel for the national anthem in 2017. Maxwell has stood for the anthem in 2018."

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am

I am trying to figure out if there is any difference between the treatment of Rosanne Barr and Colin Kaepernick.

Yes, I know the situations are not identical.

The point being, both were paid performers, and both wound up offending a large segment of the fan base, and both suffered in their career.

I just say it goes to show we care way too much about what celebs say and do.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 am

Paleo2 wrote:I just say it goes to show we care way too much about what celebs say and do.

Agreed.

The flip side is that giving those celebs that much power also gives them responsibility. They have been elevated to royalty status, and royalty comes with its own duties. Colin was willing to put his career on the line for his values. They made an example of him and he is accepting his fate with no apologies.

No matter what Roseanne says about "I blame myself" at the same time she blames 2AM and Ambien, she is trying to back away from her own actions.

One of them accepts the responsibility, the other won't acknowledge the responsibility exists.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”