Packers 2018

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers 2018

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Mike McCarthy was just fired.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Mike McCarthy was just fired.

I'm surprised it happened this quickly. I think he's a good man, and a good coach, who just hit the end of the line in Green Bay. He doesn't deserve all the vitriol a lot of the fans sent his way.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Meh... the players knew the season was over. Two weeks ago. The only task left was getting rid of the coach. That's a wrap.

Any guesses on which players might be on the trading block to free up cap space and build a new system? I'm betting Clay Matthews won't be back next year.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:02 pm

pjbogart wrote:Meh... the players knew the season was over. Two weeks ago. The only task left was getting rid of the coach. That's a wrap.

Any guesses on which players might be on the trading block to free up cap space and build a new system? I'm betting Clay Matthews won't be back next year.

You'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for Matthews now. Cobb's gone, if we're lucky might get a 4th rounder for him. Just too injury prone. Bulaga-gone. Nick Perry also. Less likely but possible, Mason Crosby. I'm sure there'll be more. Oh, bye Ron Zook.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:30 am

gargantua wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Meh... the players knew the season was over. Two weeks ago. The only task left was getting rid of the coach. That's a wrap.

You'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for Matthews now. Cobb's gone, if we're lucky might get a 4th rounder for him. Just too injury prone. Bulaga-gone. Nick Perry also. Less likely but possible, Mason Crosby. I'm sure there'll be more. Oh, bye Ron Zook.

Yeah, I'm guessing the coaching staff will get hammered. That's to be expected with a new head coach, but I'm guessing it's going to be particularly true of the Packers. Name a unit that's playing particularly well... offensive line, defensive secondary, special teams... I just don't see any part of the team that's playing so well that the coaching staff needs to be kept intact.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 am

People get very cranked up about the Packers, don't they? I mean, really, it's like they have nothing else in their lives.

I don't think it was a coaching problem. The concept of the team is to build upon young, cheap talent and a few older, almost too old, veterans. Sometimes that works. New England has been able to do it. The Packers, not so much. Both teams were winning for so long they didn't have high draft slots. I suppose they could have traded up for the elite running backs, but they counted on finding diamonds in a played out diamond field. Sometimes they got lucky. The Packers luck ran out. The defense really sucks.

I watched Mahommes yesterday. Now there's a quarterback for the future. I'm not saying Rodgers is on the downward slide of his career, but he's had injuries that made him just average over the year. I have him in fantasy football. I benched him for Goff. Pretty easy call when his knee was in a brace, but who knew he'd be just average after?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 am

When looking for local news at 10, only WKOW was on, as WISC and WMTV were delayed due to football. The lead story, of course, was McCarthy's firing. Shortly after the report, a commercial break ran a promo for the upcoming Mike McCarthy Show. I doubt if it will be shown.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 am

Honestly, MM should have been canned after that Seattle meltdown a few years ago. Way too stubborn. Kept people like Capers around way too long. Ya gotta find a way to win more than one SB with a talent like Rodgers.

As an aside, the grumbling has started in Minneapolis. Zimmer and DeFilippo are starting to feel some heat. They gave Cousins the world and he's a very average QB. Brady toyed with the vaunted D last night and I expect Wilson will do the same this Sunday.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:28 am

ESPN is floating McCarthy as a good candidate for the open Browns HC position. The idea being he could work well with a young QB.

Depends on how well the Browns interim coach does. So far the Browns and the Packers have the same record, which nobody predicted.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 am

Bruce Arians ….. "not interested in packers".
They're not going to come in and work for Aaron Rodgers. He has become less than an admirable person the last few years. And those faces he makes during the game...omg.

"Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a Lombardi standard Period!"
Winston Moss

"The Packers have informed me they are letting me go."
Winston Moss

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:29 pm

This just in: Fired Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is refusing to yield his grip on the team despite his employer's clear statement that they want different leadership, stating he "does not trust the new coach" to do things the right way. In a meeting in the wee hours of Monday morning, McCarthy and his assistants set in place new rules limiting the power of the next coach and GM to replace players signed by McCarthy, mandated continued use of the west coast offense, gave McCarthy the authority to veto called plays and refer the decision to his former assistants, and to direct free agent acquisition through September 2019. McCarthy stated that his mistrust of the new coach selected by his now-former employer, as well as of the staff that coach may hire, led him to the conclusion that directives of the Packers front office must not be allowed to dictate the future direction of the team, and as coach for a few more hours, it was his duty to see to this for the long haul, for the benefit of the Green and Gold. "This is what the Packers hired me to do," said McCarthy.
Ben Shult ( writer)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Cute. The Republicans don't care. They know what they're doing. What their rich sponsors told them to do.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 am

"They're not for Wisconsin anymore"

Phew, if only Gerry Mander wasn't running.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”