Packers 2018

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers 2018

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm

gargantua wrote:
Shorty wrote:Way to go Ty Montgomery. Next time don't run it out of the endzone.

I'd be very surprised if there's a next time as a Packer.

Yeah, reports are that he was frustrated about being taken out earlier in the game and was specifically told to down the ball, assuming it reached the endzone. The offense was clicking pretty well. Aaron Rodgers had two minutes to get in field goal range. The game wasn't WON, but I would have put my money on Rodgers.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm

DAYYYYUM! Ty Montgomery traded to the Ravens for a seventh round draft pick in 2020. That was quick!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2512 ... ore-ravens

I know it's a longshot, but I'm wondering if there are people within the organization who think he threw the game. It was an awfully inconvenient time to disobey direct orders to down the ball in the endzone and he just happened to fumble the ball on the return.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:DAYYYYUM! Ty Montgomery traded to the Ravens for a seventh round draft pick in 2020. That was quick!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2512 ... ore-ravens

I know it's a longshot, but I'm wondering if there are people within the organization who think he threw the game. It was an awfully inconvenient time to disobey direct orders to down the ball in the endzone and he just happened to fumble the ball on the return.

I think it's possible. The only video angles I've seen of the "fumble" don't look like a strip, or the type of hit you'd expect to cause a fumble. It looked like he just dropped the damn ball as soon as contacted by an opposing player.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 pm

There's a lot of grumbling that Aaron Rodgers is extremely unhappy with management. I know we've been hearing hints of this for awhile, but the grumbling persists and that makes me think McCarthy is nearing the end of his tenure. How is it possible that Rodgers, arguably one of the most talented QB's to ever play the game, has only seen one Super Bowl? Much like Barry Sanders' Lions management, The Packers have failed to put together a supporting cast that lets Rodgers shine. Why do we consistently have a thin and banged-up offensive line?

I'm not sure that McCarthy is entirely the problem. Why do The Packers consistently eschew free agency because they'd rather develop young talent? Why is it better to pass on proven performers? Holmgren LOVED picking up aging stars, and they often proved quite useful. Reggie White? Keith Jackson? Don Beebe? All of those guys were retirement age when we signed them and they all put the young guys to shame. Jim McMahon, Ty Detmer? Veteran backups that you KNEW you could count on in a pinch.

We've got none of that. The Patriots seem to be able to reload every year. For The Packers, a few injuries here and there and the team suddenly seems completely inept.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 pm

I've heard that Ted Thompson was having some health issues during the last two or three years of his tenure, and that contributed to the poor drafting since 2014. Plus, Julius Peppers was an asset to the team, and Ted gave up on him too early. Then he spent on Martellus Bennett, who was a bust, and let Jared Cook go, who is a productive tight end to this day. So I think that there's something to that theory. The writer (I forgot who it was, dammit) blames Packer management for taking too long to ease Ted out. But, they won a Super Bowl on his watch! Having won one of those gives one a very long leash, which can be detrimental to a team over time. As we're seeing with the Packers.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:52 am

Big game vs NE this week. Fairly big injury list for both team. For GB, Rodgers, TE, and 3 wr's are the big ones. For NE, Gronkowski, 2 WR's, an RB, and the Punter are the big ones. If Rodgers plays and has enough people to throw to, could be a good game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/
GB
Jermaine Whitehead DB Wed, Oct 31 Back Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Nick Perry OLB Wed, Oct 31 Ankle Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Randall Cobb WR Wed, Oct 31 Hamstring Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Jimmy Graham TE Wed, Oct 31 Knee Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Jaire Alexander CB Wed, Oct 31 Groin Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Equanimeous St. Brown WR Wed, Oct 31 Knee Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Geronimo Allison WR Wed, Oct 31 Hamstring Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Bryan Bulaga T Wed, Oct 31 Knee Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Aaron Rodgers QB Wed, Oct 31 Knee - MCL Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9

NE
Joe Cardona LS Wed, Oct 31 Shoulder Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Julian Edelman WR Wed, Oct 31 Ankle Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Ryan Allen P Wed, Oct 31 Ankle Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Josh Gordon WR Wed, Oct 31 Hamstring Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Deatrich Wise DE Wed, Oct 31 Illness Questionable for Week 9
Trent Brown T Wed, Oct 31 Ankle Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Rob Gronkowski TE Wed, Oct 31 Back Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Brian Schwenke C Tue, Oct 30 Foot Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Eric Rowe CB Tue, Oct 30 Groin IR. Injured Reserve
Geneo Grissom DE Tue, Oct 30 Ankle Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Marcus Cannon T Tue, Oct 30 Concussion Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Jacob Hollister TE Tue, Oct 30 Hamstring Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Dont'a Hightower OLB Tue, Oct 30 Knee Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Sony Michel RB Tue, Oct 30 Knee - MCL Limited Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9
Shaq Mason G Mon, Oct 29 Calf Did Not Practice on Wednesday. Questionable for Week 9

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:47 pm

ESPN has fewer injuries.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nfl/all/

Randall Cobb WR Questionable Oct 31 hamstring Likely will play
Geronimo Allison WR Questionable Oct 31 hamstring Likely will play
Equanimeous St. Brown WR Questionable Oct 24 knee Likely will play

Josh Gordon WR Questionable Oct 31 hamstring Likely will play
Sony Michel RB Questionable Oct 31 knee Likely will play
Rob Gronkowski TE Questionable Oct 31 back Likely will play
Julian Edelman WR Questionable Oct 31 ankle Likely will play
Rex Burkhead RB I.L. Sep 23 neck Out Indefinitely

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Shorty wrote:ESPN has fewer injuries.

Who are they playing?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm

jman111 wrote:
Shorty wrote:ESPN has fewer injuries.

Who are they playing?

They are three points underdogs to FOX Sports.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am

3-4-1 and behind Bears and Vikings for division lead. Four other teams ahead of them for wild card. Remaining schedule doesn't look too bad. 5-3 may still give them a playoff chance. Big games are Chic, Minn, and then Atl and Seattle. If they win at least three or four of those they will hold most or all tie-beakers with them and have good odds. But 3 of those games are on the road and they haven't won a road game yet.

Sun, Sep 9 vs Chicago W 24 - 23
Sun, Sep 16 vs Minnesota T 29 - 29
Sun, Sep 23 @ Washington L 31 - 17
Sun, Sep 30 vs Buffalo W 22 - 0
Sun, Oct 7 @ Detroit L 31 - 23
Mon, Oct 15 vs San Francisco W 33 - 30
Sun, Oct 28 @ LA Rams L 29 - 27
Sun, Nov 4 @ New England L 31 - 17

Sun, Nov 11 vs Miami 3:25 PM CST 5-4
Thu, Nov 15 @ Seattle 7:20 PM CST 4-4
Sun, Nov 25 @ Minnesota 7:20 PM CST 5-3
Sun, Dec 2 vs Arizona 12:00 PM CST 2-6
Sun, Dec 9 vs Atlanta 12:00 PM CST 4-4
Sun, Dec 16 @ Chicago 12:00 PM CST 5-3-1
Sun, Dec 23 @ NY Jets 12:00 PM CST 3-6
Sun, Dec 30 vs Detroit 12:00 PM CST 3-5

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am

Well, it was a good game for a half, and that's about all the Packers have been playing this year. They stayed with New England for a while, but they just don't have the horses.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Actually, more than a half. They were within field goal range and driving in the fourth quarter, tied,when Jones fumbled the game away.
The Patriots have better coaching. The talent gap is not that great.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm going to make a not-so-bold prediction:

If the Packers fail to make the playoffs, McCarthy will be fired. Too much money invested in Aaron Rogers not to bring in a new head coach who has modern, innovative schemes that maximize Rogers' talent.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm

david cohen wrote:I'm going to make a not-so-bold prediction:

If the Packers fail to make the playoffs, McCarthy will be fired. Too much money invested in Aaron Rogers not to bring in a new head coach who has modern, innovative schemes that maximize Rogers' talent.

I'll be a tad bolder. Even if they put together an incredible run and make the playoffs, McCarthy is gone if they lose the first game. I have been a McCarthy supporter, but the team's failure to support Rodgers is no longer defensible. Somebody has to pay for it and, rightly or wrongly, that is the coach.

More importantly to me, the Packers are the most-undisciplined-team-at-the-worst times, e.g., Ty Montgomery, the stupid roughing the kicker penalty against NE. That rightly falls on the coach.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm

^^^ I'm in the same mindset. I like McCarthy. It just seems that except for the truly exceptional, like Belichick, coaches have a shelf life in the NFL. I think Mike has reached his. It's too bad, because in other years he's held this team together in spite of some terrible luck with injuries to key players.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”