CC Racists, see what they have done...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CC Racists, see what they have done...

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 am

You don't need to go any further than the comment sections on the relatively few news pages that still support comments to see that.

Most have suspended commenting because of the time and expense of filtering out threats and egregiously offensive posting.

But yes, it's getting really bad out there. For every ten people who make reasonable comments on social media, is there one cruel and threatening person who runs twenty accounts and posts twenty threatening replies? It's hard to estimate the people/comments ratio. You can't go solely by comment count.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:51 am

snoqueen wrote:For every ten people who make reasonable comments on social media, is there one cruel and threatening person who runs twenty accounts and posts twenty threatening replies? It's hard to estimate the people/comments ratio. You can't go solely by comment count.

That, and it's something for the Hillary Haters to do.

There's an organized antiClinton army out there who were looking for direction and found it in the Anti Equality movement. It's not a big percentage of the electorate but they're net savvy and well funded by the "think tanks." They know how to make themselves look bigger and they do what they're told.

I believe it looks a lot worse than it is. They're vocal, intimidating, angry, motivated, and easily manipulated but they are definitely NOT the majority. They can't be reasoned with but they can be outvoted. Some people always get dragged into the new age by their feet, kicking and screaming.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 am

gargantua wrote:I don't know how much time my fellow Forons spend on other social media platforms, but the Forum itself is kind of an oasis. Out on Twitter and Facebook, the fear and tribalism of older, less educated white males is palpable, and intensifying. The hatred, and that is the right word, for women in positions of authority is feverish. They hate, hate, hate Nancy Pelosi. But you'd never know that white male Chuck Schumer even exists. I guess I hope that the venting serves as a release, and keeps these guys from serious violence. It's really getting nuts out there.

No kidding, but it's been building up to this crescendo for years. I'm hoping Mueller blows the Trump-ettes and crumbles the walls of Jeer-icho... if ever.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm

gargantua wrote:Out on Twitter and Facebook, the fear and tribalism of older, less educated white males is palpable, and intensifying. The hatred, and that is the right word, for women in positions of authority is feverish. They hate, hate, hate Nancy Pelosi.

The misogyny isn't limited to old white men, unfortunately. The hatred of women in gaming culture can be feverish and it infects (especially) young men of all colors. Read a few paragraphs about "gamergate" if you want to see how sexism in video game circles spiraled out of control. I have a black friend who's a gamer and gets heated up about gamergate to this day. He detests the suggestion that sexism in video games could be harmful to young men's attitudes towards women, even going so far as to defend it by claiming that the main character of "The Last of Us" is a butch lesbian so the entire controversy is obviously made up. I doubt many forons understand how outrageous this characterization is, but "The Last of Us" has a main character who's a 14 year old girl, looks exactly like Ellen Page and happens to also be gay, though it has almost nothing to do with the game. She's actually sweet and adorable and calling her a "butch lesbian" is ridiculous.

Here's your "butch lesbian"...

Basically, "gamergate" spawned his massive backlash against SJW's (social justice warriors) where young men, in particular, seethe at anything they perceive to be social justice. It's fueled much like anecdotal politics... find a video of a woman being overly aggressive and then use her behavior to completely reject feminism. I often refer to these people as "Ass-JW's" or "Anti Social Justice Warriors".

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:59 pm

here we go again:
Virginia governor apologizes for 'racist and offensive' costume in photo showing people in blackface, KKK garb
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics ... index.html

this, it goes without saying, lacks even the microscopic mote of ambiguity the c c's apologists could have attempted, cynically, to claim for some of the above . . . after all, some people will say anything when the chips are down . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:20 pm

pjbogart wrote:
gargantua wrote:Out on Twitter and Facebook, the fear and tribalism of older, less educated white males is palpable, and intensifying. The hatred, and that is the right word, for women in positions of authority is feverish. They hate, hate, hate Nancy Pelosi.

The misogyny isn't limited to old white men, unfortunately. The hatred of women in gaming culture can be feverish and it infects (especially) young men of all colors. Read a few paragraphs about "gamergate" if you want to see how sexism in video game circles spiraled out of control. I have a black friend who's a gamer and gets heated up about gamergate to this day. He detests the suggestion that sexism in video games could be harmful to young men's attitudes towards women, even going so far as to defend it by claiming that the main character of "The Last of Us" is a butch lesbian so the entire controversy is obviously made up. I doubt many forons understand how outrageous this characterization is, but "The Last of Us" has a main character who's a 14 year old girl, looks exactly like Ellen Page and happens to also be gay, though it has almost nothing to do with the game. She's actually sweet and adorable and calling her a "butch lesbian" is ridiculous.

Here's your "butch lesbian"...

Basically, "gamergate" spawned his massive backlash against SJW's (social justice warriors) where young men, in particular, seethe at anything they perceive to be social justice. It's fueled much like anecdotal politics... find a video of a woman being overly aggressive and then use her behavior to completely reject feminism. I often refer to these people as "Ass-JW's" or "Anti Social Justice Warriors".

is some small part of this what we all recognise as youthful rebellion turned on it's head because what they may be seeing is the the small fraction of social justice warriors who are virtue signallers and try to use the rift for their own cynical and selfish purposes?

over-the-top histrionics by non-member sympathisers do not help, just ask anyone who has been in the mix . . . by definition non-member sympathisers are needed for such movements, just have some manners and think of what it looks like; there is also the issue of expropriation and compromising the ability of victims of discrimination in a given incident or generally to control the situation, just making it worse . . .

i am most assuredly not saying it is right or excusable by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that i've seen it from time to time in my years here . . . there seemed to be a point where it was a small but discernable part of the homophobia equation, which thankfully has lessened over the years . . .
Last edited by gozer on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:31 pm

gozer wrote:is some small part of this what we all recognise as youthful rebellion turned on it's head because what they may be seeing is the the small fraction of social justice warriors who are virtue signallers and try to use the rift for their own cynical and selfish purposes?

That's exactly how it works, and politics by anecdote is is easier than ever because the internet makes it so. Russian trolls were allegedly stirring the pot, often straddling both positions just seeing how much discord they could sow. Want to get some people to reject feminism? That's easy, search the internet for some hysterical woman on a street corner and say, "See! Feminists are crazy!" You could pretty much ridicule any group you want... there's no shortage of videos of people acting like assholes on the internet.

The problem with this type of politics is that it's solely meant to anger people, never to help us grow in any way. It encourages us to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" by demonizing a political party or movement by extrapolating the poor behavior of a few individuals onto an entire population. So you met a feminist who was an over-the-top bitch, huh? Does that mean that women don't deserve equal pay for equal work? Here are some "Black Lives Matter" protesters acting like assholes... I guess now we don't need to care about police brutality or racial profiling.

Unfortunately, it's really, really effective, at least as far as reinforcing already held beliefs. Don't like "illegals"? Here's a video of them being criminals. And you can flip that script on Republicans too. Don't like pro-life activists? How hard would it be to find some of them being complete douchebags? Not very.

Just because some politician from Missouri believes that women can't get pregnant if they're raped doesn't mean that all (or even a significant fraction) of Republicans believe that. Just because some politician from Detroit believes that all guns should be banned doesn't mean that all (or even a significant fraction) of Democrats believe that.

Basically, the problem is that it's really, really easy to use the internet to reinforce bigotry. As long as you can find an instance of poor behavior (hint: you can), then you can broadbrush the entire group as terrible people and their goals, by extension, as terrible ideas.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm

another element of the gamergate mentioned above is that it is at least a faint echo of the diversity issue in science, technology, engineering & mathematics industries -- and it is not just the obvious and pressing social justice issue, it also impacts the competence and long-term competitiveness of these folks, so if they don't want to be an afterthought in 20 years and help make china/russia/germany/brazil/india/Indonesia/france/austria/argentina/japan/portugal/chile/czech republic/canada/mexico/south africa and several of their neighbours great again they'd better get on the stick and fix the toxic environment and the rest of the problem . . .

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:12 am

Nathan Phillips side of the story...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -covington

Return to “Headlines”